Notices

I came to SoberRecovery after a long 8 month relapse...

Old 10-01-2008, 02:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I came to SoberRecovery after a long 8 month relapse...

which nearly cost me my new wife, house, newborn baby girl that is due on 10-21-08, my freedom(currently on felony probation for possession) and ultimitely my life. I'm 23 years old, have been through 9 different treatment centers and have been going to AA and NA off and on for years. My relapse came after my longest stint of active recovery and attending meetings and staying completely sober which was also 8 months. What happened? I got into a relationship even though it was ill advised by everyone. I put all my energy into that relationship and quit going to meetings and quit calling my sponser and quit doing everything that was keeping me sober. I am now 4 days sober. I humbly went back to the meetings that were keeping me sober. It was so good to see the familier faces as well as new faces. I am hurting spiritually and emotionally though. It's always a tough blow to my ego and false pride when I have to go over that 1st step again and again. I AM powerless over my addictions and when I use and drink my life becomes completely unmanageable. It was good to find this website so I have support while I'm at work. Luckily I kept a job this whole time. I need prayer and support and love and kind words of advice and encouragement. I'll be back tomorrow!
Old 10-01-2008, 02:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Relapse...

Hi,

I got sober the last time after a 14 year relapse with some sobriety here & there with meetings. I was to my bottom and wanted to be sober more than anything else in my life. I was working part time so spent the first year going to counseling for my alcoholism & depression with different counselors for each, went to meetings everyday, sometimes twice a day if available, & just concentrated of me & my sobriety as a full time job with my sponsor & meetings. My part time job allowed time for all of this. :ghug

When I started my second year of sobriety I made my plans to go back to college to get my BA Degree....this was a goal I had for many years. After I finished with counseling and my college, I applied for a job at Mental Health as a Psyc-Tech & eventually (with job experience & on the job training) I got promoted to a Geriatric Mental Health Counselor. I loved my job and was very proud of what I had accomplished finally. This was 20 years ago. I am retired, have 20 years of sobriety & follow-ups for meds for my depression.

It can be done. Doing it is the hard part....for me quitting drinking was easy but staying sober was harder....& more work than I thought there would be on changing my life priorities.

Good luck to you,

kelsh
Old 10-01-2008, 03:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There is a Gaelic proverb - Misneach, misneach agus a rithist misneach.
Courage, courage and again courage.
Sustaining thoughts with you.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Welcome Noexcuses!
You came to a wonderful site with amazing support!
Old 10-01-2008, 04:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community...
Glad you are back on track.

Blessings to you and your family
Old 10-03-2008, 03:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR NoExcuses

Ed
Old 10-03-2008, 03:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)