Notices

interesting issue

Old 06-08-2008, 06:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
To Life!

Lightbulb interesting issue

Since I've been taking that Topamax, I've gotting a lot of benefits.
My anxiety is all but gone. I haven't taken any xanax since I started taking the topamax at all, if I remember correctly. Or at least, it's so little, I can't remember!

And, I hurt my back many years ago. As a result, I've had terrible headaches and pain in my legs and shoulder and down my arm. Indeed, at it's worst, the pain would be on my complete left side. Physical therapy for years did nothing and the naproxin barely touched it. But, the Topamax has! I hardly have any problem at all any more! It's like a miracle! I cannot tell you what a relief it is not to deal with those headaches anymore! And no more pain on the entire side of my body! It's AMAZING!

And one of the side effects is weight loss to boot. Now, I'm not losing much, but, it's steady, and it's real. So, that's another benefit.

And, it's also known to help people quit drinking. Now, I'm not an alcoholic, but, I've been known to abuse the drink on occasion. I'm not proud of it, but, I have. And here's the issue.

I am drinking FAR FAR less often than I was. And, when I do drink, I drink less than I used to drink, on average. But, when I *do* drink, I get a *terrible* hangover!

It sucks! I mean, even if I have a few, and have something to eat, I feel lousy the next day!

I'm not willing to give up the Topamax and all it's benefits for drinking, mind you. But, I just put two and two together last night. I was out Friday, had some drinks with my friends and somehting to eat, and was feeling lousey all day yesterday. Went out last night for a bite, and couldn't even *think* of having a drink! Kinda sucks, ya know?

But, I'll stick with the benefits of the Topamax and learn to deal with the side effects. Guess I'll have to learn to drink somehting else when I go out.

Shalom!
Old 06-08-2008, 10:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

That is great Teach. My side effect was weight gain but my body reacts strange to meds sometimes.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
hippy

Thats great that you are getting some positive side effects teach! I can't drink much on my meds either. A maximum of two glasses. I am supposed to be giving these up too, but I am struggling.......
Hippy
x
Old 06-12-2008, 11:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Good news Teach!! I'm do glad to hear this is working so well for you.

BTW, I drink 7up w/ OJ OR Cranberry w/ 7up when I "go out for drinks". Sounds like it's worth it to me.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To Life!

Thanks, everyone!

I like beer, but, since I was pre-diabetic, I started drinking rum and diet coke. No carbs, ya know?

But, the sugars in juice are a killer for people with issues with sugar. I used to LOVE cranberry and oj; can't do that anymore. :>(
I'd LOVE to just drink water, but, they don't like that too much when you go out, :rof

I'll find something. Just a diet coke with lime probably.

But, it *is* wonderful that I am getting so many *good* side effects from the Topamax! My doc is *almost* as happy as I am!

Shalom!
Old 06-13-2008, 05:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A club soda with a lime or lemon is a frequent choice for me.