Notices

Dual Diagnosis or Just Mental Illness?

Old 04-14-2008, 06:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dual Diagnosis or Just Mental Illness?

Hi,

I seem to only use drugs when I am off my medication and manic/delusional/paranoid/etc. Once I'm back wrt. mental health I have no interest in using drugs. Do you think I am an addict or what?

I do want the spiritual support of the 12 Steps but it seems funny having to mentally re-write the words "addict" and "alcoholic" to "mentally ill" as I read the literature and it's worse when I have to share in a meeting. I feel misunderstood at best.

I've been trying to find 12 Step groups for mental illness either exclusively or predominately. The Dual Diagnosis groups I've gone to so far seem more centered on drugs and alcohol. There is a group called GROW but it's on the other side of the planet from where I live. There's also Emotions Anonymous which I'm starting to investigate.

Thanks
Old 04-14-2008, 07:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Many people abuse drugs and alcohol to deal with the symptoms of their mental illness. I cannot say if you are an addict or not. Only you can.

If you are getting help for your mental health, why not ask your doctor or counselor? They are certainly able to guide you and help you determine if you have issues in those areas.

Shalom!
Old 04-14-2008, 04:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Which came first...the chicken or the egg???

For me the severe depression was there before I ever started medicating with booze and/or drugs.

Stabilizing my mental state, right now through therapy and medication changes works hand in hand for me with my active participation in AA
Old 04-14-2008, 06:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think using to cope with mental health/psychological issues (consciously or unconsciously) pretty much means you will become alcoholic/addicted. I could never get my issues outside of drugs/booze in order until I got sober, but still I could say I have my mental health in order now so I can go back to drinking in moderation. I don't think that is the case though.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

DOUBLE Trouble in Recovery or Dual Recovery Anonymous - a 12 Step Fellowship both are 12 Step Programs addressing co-occurring psychiatric and substance use disorders. Double Trouble in Recovery (DTR) has a pretty good track record and over 15 research projects studying it for several years. Dual Recovery Anonymous (DRA) has its book published by Hazelden. Both have meetings in various areas around the country (I've even heard that a new DTR meeting just opened in Australia).
Old 04-15-2008, 02:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bob_sapp View Post
... I could never get my issues outside of drugs/booze in order until I got sober ...
I was sober for eight years and then had an episode, drove away all my friends, and then went down to the bars looking for new ones since I was very judgment impaired by that time. I started out drinking coca-cola but ended up being 86'd at two bars before finding one full of drug dealers where geeking out didn't get your ass kicked out the door.

Originally Posted by bob_sapp View Post
... I could say I have my mental health in order now so I can go back to drinking in moderation. I don't think that is the case though.
I don't think I can drink at all with my mental health issues. I wouldn't let anyone make me do it either. I've invested too much time finding medications that work and building relationships with health care professionals. I've also build relationships with people in N/A including my sponsor. I'm still going to meetings--it's just that I get the feeling I'm different, despite being told I'm not. You can't argue with a feeling.