Notices

Examing Genetic Influences

Old 04-07-2008, 02:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Examing Genetic Influences

I found today's "Facing Life's Challenges" message worth discussing. I would love to hear your thoughts and experinces regarding the possible genetic component to depression.

"....people with depression are blamed for being weak in character, for not being able to 'just snap out of it.' (The) message is simple: The brain is part of the body.....willpower alone just won't fix it."----from an article by Kay Harvey on "Battling Depression's Stigma"

Examining Genetic Influences

Even though many of the world's greatest painters, writers, musicians, and gifted artists have suffered from depression, this condition affects more than just who have creative energy. Depression is not just "all in your mind." YOu may have ainherited genertic factors that make you especially vulnerable to it. Out of all the brothers, sisters, parents, and children of a depressed person, approximately 20 to 25 percent run the risk of having the disease themselves. Although depression does occur more frequently in particular families than in the population as a whole, it can sometimes skip generations or vary in intensity from one generation to another ---or even from one person to another. And it has been found that about 25 percent of the daughters of mothers with depressive illnesses will develop some form of depression themselves.

What all this means is that if you suffer from depression, you might want to examine your family history with a professional who can help you evaluate the biological impact on your own depression. Prior to meeting with the professional, find out the medical and emotional backgrounds of parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, siblings. Ask, "Is there any history of suicide, depression, anxiety, psychiatric treatment, eating disorders, alcoholism, or drug abuse?" This exploration can yield valuable information. So, learn whatever you can, share this information with someone trained to interpret your findings, then focus on your own healing and recovery.

I examine my family background to learn more about myself.
Here is my experince and thoughts on the topic. I don't know about depression and mental illness in my family history but I do know that alcoholism runs rampant through it. I thought it was interesting that the article said "...it has been found that about 25 percent of the daughters of mothers with depressive illnesses will develop some form of depression themselves." This I find to be fairly accurate for my family. My mother suffers from untreated depression and has for years. I fight with depression and alcoholism; my oldest sister fights with anorexia; another sister fights with anorexia, alcoholism and drug abuse; my youngest sister is in an abusive relationship and will not leave him; my brother I am not sure about as he lives in the Ukraine and has for over 10 years now. So from my experince I find that the statement is pretty accurate although maybe understated about the increased likelyhood of depression being passed on from mother to child.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Thanks for this article, Judith.
One of the difficulties of this study is the reality of stigma, particularly in the generation of my parents. They were the ones who would wisper "cancer;" let alone mental illness! And it isn't just the stigma either. It was often just undiagnosed.

I know, without a doubt, that my mother has undiagnosed bipolar disorder. We lived with her rages all our lives, never understanding them. Only now do I know, because of what I've been through and because my son's been diagnosed with the same thing. My siblings recognize her unreasonable rages, yet, if I ever tried to say she has bipolar disorder, they would scoff it off; deny it completely. They wouldn't *want* to know.

Yes, there is a genetic component. I've no doubt about that. I've seen the evidence for years. I've read about it many times. And my depression, itself, may just be a manifestation of it.

Thanks for sharing!

Shalom!
Old 04-07-2008, 07:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can agree with this article. Depression, bipolar disorder, and schizophrenia runs on my father's side but not my mother's. As well as drug abuse and alcoholism. My father is/was (unknown) addicted to crack/cocaine and is an alcoholic AND has bipolar disorder AND has schizophrenia.

I really hate that a lot of people do not seek medical advice or attention when they experience depression because of the hush-hush stigma. Especially mother's with post-partum depression. I am not going to lie. I had severe PPD with my first born and have been a lot more careful this time to try to avoid or look out for it this time. Mother's feel like they are "bad moms" and such if they admit to having those feelings towards their new child.