Notices

Jack and the Beanstalk

Old 03-10-2008, 10:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Jack and the Beanstalk

There was this time in my life when it didn’t seem I had anything other than a dark room. Depression, anxiety, and sorrow covered me in darkness for nine months. I had two windows and I never opened the shades in fact I rarely turned on the lights. I had a table in the center of the windows and a Rubber Tree plant in the center of the table.

When ever I didn’t have responsibilities I lay in bed staring at the ceiling. Months and months went by with no improvement I couldn’t shake the sadness and depression that now plagued me like alcohol once did. I looked over at the plant and wondered if it needed water. It wasn’t growing and to be honest looked rather rough. I grabbed a cup and went to the bathroom and got some water. As I did I looked up in the mirror I saw that I wasn’t growing and I looked rather rough. I was Pale, needed a shave, a haircut and I really just needed some love. God help me I pleaded…

I brought the water to the plant and some how it brought me a smile. I looked at the blinds and opened them for the first time in months. The sun light was warm and intoxicating. I took a deep breath and felt like I had just been released from the gates of hell. I went out that day cut my hair, got some new cloths and started praying again.

I got back to Alcoholics Anonymous, a sponsor and a way of life that I once knew to be heaven. The plant’s growth was incredible and with every new leaf I felt a little better. It was like the steps of recovery every step I took I felt a little more growth a little more light and a little more love. I named the plant Jack after the story “Jack and the Bean Stalk.” Both the plant and I were headed upward for that Golden Egg.

I started to grow much faster than Jack and needed a bigger place. I got everything in the car and was pretty much ready to go but I had to get Jack. On the way up the stairs I saw the housing manager giving my key to the new tenant. The new tenant was very pale, needed a shave, a haircut and really looked like he needed some love. I turned around and headed for the car. I looked up and saw my friend in the window and waved goodbye just then the shades were drawn. I smiled remembering how Jack helped light the way perhaps he would do so again for someone else?

That was many years ago and don’t know what became of Jack. Kind of hope he made it to that Golden Egg. Although the years have not been perfect the light of Gods Grace has helped shine the way. Thanks to his grace I have so much more than a dark room. I have medications that I take, a program that I work, and a full and happy life. Meds always seem to be a little off but aside from Gods love what isnt?

Last edited by 1cor13; 03-10-2008 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

beautiful...in so many ways!
Your are a wonderful writer, do you write for a living? I sure hope so!
I'd love to include your story of Jack in the book i've been working on for several years now. Would you mind if I add your story to it's pages?
Btw, thanks for sharing it with us and ((((((((welcome to SR and the MH forum))))))))

hugs,
Jenna
Old 03-10-2008, 02:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank's for sharing and it was very well writen.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Life!

Welcome to SR!!!
Thanks for sharing your story. Recovery is a blessing.

Shalom!
Old 03-10-2008, 03:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
beautiful...in so many ways!
Your are a wonderful writer, do you write for a living? I sure hope so!
I'd love to include your story of Jack in the book i've been working on for several years now. Would you mind if I add your story to it's pages?
Btw, thanks for sharing it with us and ((((((((welcome to SR and the MH forum))))))))

hugs,
Jenna

Thank you, I gave Jack away once so he is all yours. Good Luck on the book and God Bless....