Notices

difficulty understanding meds for bi polar

Old 03-05-2008, 02:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ang:)~

Question difficulty understanding meds for bi polar

i am new to this so i am going to do the best i can here....i went through a very rough year last year...they diagnosed me with bi polar and depression. i coulnt' stand the anti depressants so they just left me on seroquel. i couldn't stay awake so i couldn't understand why they prescribed that anyway. I have not noticed any changes so he put me on risperal. the only thing i notice different is i can't go to sleep at night and want to sleep all day. what are the differences in the two and is one stronger than the other? please help....thank you sooooo much
Old 03-05-2008, 04:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

I have no experience with risperal.
I was on seroquel for a few days and knew I couldn't take it -- I was a walking zombie. So, I stopped taking it!

Others will be along to share their ESH with you.
I wish you well. Be sure to tell your doctor all that's happening.

Shalom!
Old 03-05-2008, 04:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi angie,

I was on risperdal for a while, but it did not help me. I am on abilify now, and it is great exept it makes me a little tired. You might want to ask you doctor about it. Good luck!
Old 03-05-2008, 05:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I have no experience with Risperidal personally. Seroquel was only prescribed as a sleep aid for me so I only take it as needed. A good resource for finding out about medications is WebMD - Better information. Better health.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

"Stronger" can be very subjective, because 1mg of Serequel doesn't equal 1mg of Risperdal.....so it all depends on how your prescriber doses it. It can also take some time to build up the dosing, so maybe you aren't at the level where you'll a difference, because you don't want to do it too quickly....as that can enhance the side effects. Also, at lower dosing, Seroquel can be quite sedating, as it tends to act on some different things, so switching to something else may 'feel' different because it is less sedating. Sometimes not sleeping at night and sleeping during the day can be more of a symptom of depression and not so much a side effect of the med, though you should let your prescriber know all of this, because there can be a number of things that can cause that. It will probably take some time to find the right match of meds, dosing, etc.....but if you stick it out, most people find the right balance.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Angie - you are certainly not the only one who doesn't understand.

in fact - I'm so confounded by the whole thing -
Im trying to get back on my ADHD stuff .. and call it good.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by barb dwyer View Post
Angie - you are certainly not the only one who doesn't understand.

in fact - I'm so confounded by the whole thing -
Im trying to get back on my ADHD stuff .. and call it good.
For more medically related / factual things about various disorders, it is best to stick with mainstream websites like WebMD.com. Here is a link to their information about medications for Bipolar. Obviously it isn't meant to fit every person, so YMMV....but it seems like a nice mix of general and specific information.

Bipolar Disorder: Medications

Btw...some of the categories for medication can be confusing, but they are (typically) grouped for the first use of the medication and/or what they do. For instance, 'anti-convulsant' meds are common for seizure disorders, but they can also can sometimes be used for mood management.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

I am surprised that your Dr. didn't try Lamictal first, it is often the drug with little or no side effects. I know with myself I have zero side effects. I am not a Dr. but most people need more than one med. for relief. They all treat different symptoms. I personally take 3 meds., 1-for depression 1-for mania/cycling 1-insomina. I would stay in contact with your DR.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thank you all so much for your advice. the problem is my insurance runs out on the 28th. going through a divorce doesn't help anything, so i am trying to get my meds under control so it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg. thank you all again.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by angie123 View Post
thank you all so much for your advice. the problem is my insurance runs out on the 28th. going through a divorce doesn't help anything, so i am trying to get my meds under control so it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg. thank you all again.
If branded medication is prohibitively expensive (and they often are), you should inquire about generic alternatives with your doctor....as there are many very good medications out there that have been out for while. Frankly many of the best performing meds are generic, they just don't get pushed nearly as much because there is no $$ in them. Drug reps push patented meds ($$$), and doctors often gain a lot of prescribing information from drug reps.

Walmart, Walgreens, and the like have generic prescription plans that are much more affordable than dropping hundreds of dollars a month.

Obviously your prescriber will know better if a generic medication is an option for their patient, but often times it isn't the first thought, as 'free' samples aren't available for them. Although 'free' samples are nice to get started, when you go to fill the 'script, it can get very expensive.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree about the samples. When I first started medication and therapy back in the day, I got free samples for months because I couldn't afford them.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

thank you all again...i am going to the doctor next week. i will see what he will tell me....hope it all works out
Old 03-06-2008, 10:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I like these threads when they end up all hopeful like this, don't you?
Old 03-06-2008, 10:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i hope they all end like this....this is only my second day on this site so we'll see.....thanks again
Old 03-06-2008, 10:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

man....i wrote out a comment to this last night and it disappeared!! I'm so tired of that....it WAS here when i left the page....meaning I always double check to make sure my comments post before leaving threads no days.

Mods...any clue??
Old 03-06-2008, 11:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

what do you mean?
Old 03-06-2008, 11:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

shutter - that's happened to MEEE too! annoying as all heck aint it? and it was freaking BRILLIANT wasn't it??

hate it when that happens.

I've started 'select all' and 'copy' before 'post' any more.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

Angie....just that i typed out a reply to you last night, hit the reply button, had it post to the thread just like any reply would (i actually saw it was here...that it actually had posted onto the page) and now it is gone. Totally disappeared like it never was.

Barb....yeah it is bothersome. You'd have thought i'd have learned my lesson with i lost months and months off the ends of my journals with SR crashed back when, but nope....i still rarely write out my thoughts else where first and save them just in case, but i'm definetly journaling more on my private computer screen now....where i use to ONLY journal here at SR. hummmm. Technology. Sheesh!

:ghug

Angie....by the way: WELCOME TO SR!!!!

Jenna
Old 03-07-2008, 01:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
To Life!

I'm not aware of any of any crash. Nothing has been told to me.
I'll do some checking...And let you know if I find out anything.
But, I understand. I lost almost 10,000 posts!!!
Sucks...

Shalom!
Old 03-07-2008, 02:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Angie, i was first diagonsed with bi-polar back in'95. It took quite some time for the docs to get the medications right. Keep onto ur doctor/s. If it's not working, they need to adjust or change.
I know it feels like ur a guinea pig but persistance is the key.
Don't give up. You'll get the right meds eventually and you'll be up and running in no time.
Keep coming here to let us know how ur going.
Please....don't give up.