Notices

Effexor

Old 02-11-2008, 12:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Effexor

Has anyone here ever taken effexor for anxiety?

I was taking this medication and I think it was working well, but after about 6 weeks it seems that if I am late taking it or worse if I forget a dose I get really sick

nausea vomiting and dizziness and just plain feel really sick................so

I decided that I'm just not gonna take it anymore the benefit does not outweigh the nasty effects.....................
Old 02-11-2008, 12:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Hello liesagain,

I took EffexorXR for a little over a year. It took a couple months to get used to it, during that time I always felt a little foggy in the head, and I had problems sleeping but that was resolved by changing the time of day that I took it. It worked very well from then on and I tapered off with no side effects.

Everyone will react differently to these meds. What I did learn was that communication with the prescriber was an absolute must in order to determine correct dosages and whether or not the med was working correctly. I can understand you not wanting to take it because of the side effects, but urge you to talk to your doctor before you do so. By what I understand it's not advisable to just stop taking it cold turkey.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Astro, I do know I should talk to my dr and I will but I didnt take it for a couple of days ...........didnt get it refilled in time, so now i am going thru the illness part so I'm thinking I'd just rather not restart it.............
Old 02-11-2008, 02:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Well, I know it's important to be consistent. If I missed a dose it shouldn't be made up by taking extra, but I resumed the dosage at my next normal time.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I took Effexor for a couple of years but for depression. I had really bad side effects as well as withdrawal symptoms if I missed a dose. It made my blood pressure really high on top of that.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

I'm on EffexorXR for anxiety and depression.

Works for me. Sucks when I miss a dose, but it's working.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tracee1010 View Post
i have a client who takes Effexor. she says it Really works when she takes it properly and on time daily but she often looses it or forgets to take it.
she would often make comments about feeling like she was in "withdrawl" from not taking it... I always thought she was exerating.. as she is 19, dramatic and has borderline personality disorder.. but what Im hearing from you all is the same thing.. thank you for verifying that these feelings she has reported are real and really do feel "withdrawl" like..
It is true. I would miss a dose sometimes and it would be terrible, awful, feelings
Old 02-13-2008, 08:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

Originally Posted by TiredMama View Post
It is true. I would miss a dose sometimes and it would be terrible, awful, feelings
Word. The electric "jolts," nausea... Missing a dose (and once I missed two!) is right up there with the worst of hangovers. It. Is. Not. Fun.

Edit: Also, just more of my experience...

I was on 150 a day for a while, but it wasn't working. I was drinking at the time though, funny...

My psych bumped me up to 225 just before I ended up in treatment again. The tx center kept me on my 225 dose for a while but I was getting really, really tired.

The psych at the treatment center said that Effexor can have a sedative effect on some people (1 in 10 I think he said). And he brought me back down to 150. And I wasn't so tired any more.

Last edited by justanothrdrunk; 02-13-2008 at 08:59 AM. Reason: More info for the health care professionals.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Waiting For Engines

Hi to All:

I take Effexor XR 150 MG AM and 75 MG HS and I realize a benefit from the medication, although the "electric jolts", dizziness, headaches that I receive when I run out of the medication or miss more than a day's dosage, are very serious symptoms. I have known of people who have had to go to a hospital's emergency room to get a dose of this medication, so having a physician's guidance and advice is crucial....

I honestly have taken nearly every anti-depressent in the book and, for me, Effexor is the only one that works for me in both allievating depression and anxiety--to a degree. It took more than 6 weeks for the effects to be noticed, but I have had no complaints thus far, only that I do experience those same side effects from missing a dose that other's have reported.

Please consult with your doctor regarding dosage times and dose amount. You need to be weaned off of this drug and not stop it abruptly--again, your MD knows best.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

effexor

I loved effexor but it didn't take me that long and I didn't have bad effects.talk to your doctor there are many other meds that you can take that may help you. I had bad effects from zoloft and prozac, and I have to switch to celexa now because I have no insurance. Best wishes to you.:codiepolice:codiepolice
Old 03-18-2008, 10:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Waiting For Engines

Question

Originally Posted by hope4better View Post
I loved effexor but it didn't take me that long and I didn't have bad effects.talk to your doctor there are many other meds that you can take that may help you. I had bad effects from zoloft and prozac, and I have to switch to celexa now because I have no insurance. Best wishes to you.:codiepolice:codiepolice
hope4better,

Are you still on Effexor or have you stiopped taking it? I am a bit confused since you wrote you "loved" taking the Effexor.

Did you stop Effexor due to cost factors?

I was just curious...
Old 03-25-2008, 08:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I do not take this but my wife just started it for depression like a week ago. She is having the same symptoms you are. She has trouble sleeping, nausea and the fogginess you speak of. I'm going to direct her to this thread as she wasn't sure what to make of it.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Okay to follow up on this. My wife ended her spell with this one and had to swich to zoloft. Effexor kept her up all night, put her head in a fog and overall made her irritable beyond belief. She just couldn't take it any more after a week.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ah yes the Effexor withdrawal. I was on the max dose of 300mg (I think). I felt like I was going to pass out if I got up from a standing position. I was on it for 3 years though. It was a horrible withdrawal. I don't mean to scare you but that was my experience.

Tiburon
Old 04-06-2008, 06:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Effexor was one of the worse things that has ever happened to me.
Honestly I am sorry to speak so badly of it, but I really think it should be off the market.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

A lot of people have had bad experiences with Effexor (myself included) especially with the withdrawals if you decide to take yourself off of it.

You just have to be careful with any of these meds IMO.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
lynbow

Hi, I have taken Effexor for several years and also noticed the "brain shivers" you're talking about. I recently changed to Cimbalta because I felt very lazy on the Effexor. I feel more energetic but have a short fuse. Someday I will find the perfect balance, Ihope.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I take Effexor and am very happy with it, however I take other anti-depressants, as well.
It is expensive but the manufacturer will send them to you for free if you qualify. I do miss doses, sometimes for several days...after about three days I feel a little dizzy and that reminds me.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It is the truth that everyone has a different reaction to Effexor. I have taken it myself, and it actually increased my anxiety. It is certainly something to be ont he look out for. If you are exeriencing increased anxiety, frustration and anger it could very well be because of the effexor. These effects are suppose to subside within a couple weeks, but it is important to talk to your doctor if they continue.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:01 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I was on Effexor XR too, for around 6 -8 months. It was hard to come off it - there were some really difficult side effects. After a couple of failed attempts I tapered down slowly and that worked for me.

I don't recommend it. It messes with Dopamine and Noradrenalin levels, which represents a major alteration in brain Chemistry. I made the worst mistakes in my whole life when i was on Effexor. I was very reckless and numb.