Notices

Serotonin Syndrome...

Old 02-06-2008, 02:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightbulb Serotonin Syndrome...

I have found something that I wanted to share. I've been on this forum for more than a few 24's.....I don't usually post here, but have in the past. While I take Effexor, and have for years, I usually toss the "pt. drug info sheets" that come w/ it, as I always read these when I'm taking any new medicine. Just yesterday, I picked up my new script, and don't know why, but actually read the drug info sheet with it. I was shocked to see a warning about a possibility of something I was not familar with: serotonin syndrome. This CAN be LETHAL if left UNTREATED.

The paper informed me that certain drugs taken with ANY SSRI's/SNRI's CAN trigger this syndrome. They include; but are not limited to: Cymbalta, Prozac, Lithium, Tramadol (Ultram), ANY SSRI's, SNRI's, and the list goes on....also; too much of ANY ONE OF THESE can result in serotonin syndrome.

Below is a link from Mayo clinic explaining symptoms, treatment, diagnosis, etc. Please research these things yourself. There's a wealth of info online about this syndrome. I am not a Dr. I AM; however; very proactive in my own healthcare, mental as well as physical healthcare. We must educate ourselves, and make the best decision about our treatment individually & with our healthcare provider. Apparently, this is now something the drug companies are now legally required to put on these labels.

Below, click on & read more in the underlined words. You can find more, and do your own research. If this has been discussed here, please accept mt apologies....

Serotonin syndrome: Signs and symptoms - MayoClinic.com

It just so happens my timing was perfect! I see my Dr. tomorrow, and plan to discuss this w/ him. I am also an opiate addict...accidentally, which doesn't matter either way...I AM an addict. I suffer from chronic pain. I was taking narcotic pain pills (Norco) & got addicted....didn't KNOW until I tried to stop taking them. I also must tell you that I was ABUSING them as well...(taking more than prescribed dosage).....Consequently, I was put on Ultram (generic name tramadol) which had NO warning about this at all on that label.....Fortunately, I don't take that anymore...Supposedly Ultram is non narcotic AND not addictive. That's not correct, as I know I've seen several poosts where people DID become addicted to the Ultram as well....

I just wanted to share. Everyone, take GOOD care!

Always, Lady_Blue

Old 02-06-2008, 06:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

I too suffered serotonin syndrom several years ago.
I researched it throughoughly. Not one doctor listened to me.
I threw all the meds away, and began my way back to health again.

I'm very leary today, and my regular doc knows there are certain meds I will never take again. He has them listed under "allergies" for me, so they cannot be given to me, even accidently. It's a good way to ensure my safty, and I recommend it to others.

Thanks for bringing this up and providing the link. Interestingly, I was just talking about this syndrome on another thread!

Shalom!
Old 02-06-2008, 08:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's a concern, though SS isn't that common. People who have shown a serotonin sensitivity should be more concerned (and most likely not on an SSRI, or just on a very low dose). Many times docs are too busy to really go over everything (even though they should, and they probably would like to in an ideal work), so it is important to stay informed and ask your doc any questions you may have about stuff.....like this!