Notices

Wellbutrin/Bupropion HELP!!!

Old 01-16-2008, 06:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Some_Girl

Unhappy Wellbutrin/Bupropion HELP!!!

About a month ago I was put on Wellbutrin/Bupropion SR 150mg, twice daily. It's classified as an SNRI (Serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor) which I have not taken before. I was on 20 mg of Lexapro last spring, but didn't notice a significant change so the doctors decided to try a different kind of antidepressant.

Well as far as my depression goes, I'm doing much better. However, my anxiety seems to have increased, and I can't eat. I told my Doctor about the anxiety and he said it's possible that helping the depression has just unveiled the anxiety, meaning it hasn't increased, it's just more noticeable. I figured he was right, anxiety wasn't new for me, just seemed worse. My mind feels like it's on fast forward and my body can't keep up. Not to mention my heart feels like it is going to beat out of my chest, and sitting still for much longer than ten minutes is impossible. Doc suggested yoga, and exercise.

I can't eat either. I have this crippling pain in my tummy, like I am starving, but I can't eat, there is no appetite. When I try to eat I can't get much further than a few bites. This didn't bother me at first. I had put on some weight pretty rapidly over the passed 6 months and I've already dropped close to 10lbs in the first month on the meds.

I don't want to stop taking it because it's doing wonders for my depression, and it stopped me from smoking. I don't want to try something else because I can't stand those first few weeks on a new med, while your body is adjusting.

Has anyone ever dealt with this before, with wellbutrin/bupropion, or any others for that matter? Should I try and stick it out for a bit longer?

HELP...PLEASE!?!?
Old 01-16-2008, 10:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

One of the side effects of wellbutrin is the possiblity of increased anxiety. Unfortunatly it is not a side effect that goes away. I would consider talking with my doctor. There are 100's of antidepressants out there. He might even consider a low dose of welbutrin (too keep away from the anxiety side effect) combined with a different antideppressant. That is not uncommon. I am currently on Cymbalta and am having great results with minimal side effects (dry mouth the worst but since I should drink more water anyway this is not horrible). My depression has been a very difficult one to treat as well. I am also taking a mood stabilizer, Lamictal, which helps as well. Because of my hard to treat depression and periods of excessive spending the doctor has decided I am bi-polar type II. It is not the extreme manic depressive type bi polar as its symptoms are more subtle mimicking an extreme and hard to treat depression. You might also consider discussing the possibility that this may be part of the problem with your doctor. Good luck
Old 01-16-2008, 11:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Nan gave you some great advice.

I'm currently taking wellbutrin/bupropion. It works well for me and I've not noticed any negative side effects. Everyone is different thought ..... like nan, I suggest talking to your doctor again. Not just about the anxiety ..... print out what you said and take it to him or her.

Well as far as my depression goes, I'm doing much better. However, my anxiety seems to have increased, and I can't eat. I told my Doctor about the anxiety and he said it's possible that helping the depression has just unveiled the anxiety, meaning it hasn't increased, it's just more noticeable. I figured he was right, anxiety wasn't new for me, just seemed worse. My mind feels like it's on fast forward and my body can't keep up. Not to mention my heart feels like it is going to beat out of my chest, and sitting still for much longer than ten minutes is impossible. Doc suggested yoga, and exercise.

I can't eat either. I have this crippling pain in my tummy, like I am starving, but I can't eat, there is no appetite. When I try to eat I can't get much further than a few bites. This didn't bother me at first. I had put on some weight pretty rapidly over the passed 6 months and I've already dropped close to 10lbs in the first month on the meds.

I don't want to stop taking it because it's doing wonders for my depression, and it stopped me from smoking. I don't want to try something else because I can't stand those first few weeks on a new med, while your body is adjusting.
Anti-depressants can also bring out mania in someone with a Bipolar disorder (there are many types). If you don't like the answers or solutions your doctor give you ...... see a different doctor. You pay them to help you and there's no reason to see a doc that you don't think is helping you or listening to you.

I say, listen to your body, do some research, read a lot. So many of these mood disorders (depression, anxiety, AD/HD, bipolar, and many more) and so, so hard to diagnose and treat. Some thing that works for one person might not work for another. So many of the symptoms overlap into different disorders.

Also, It really helped me, med wise, to see a psychiatrist for medication management. I was originally seeing my general doc but when my depression wasn't getting better after trying 3 or 4 different anti-depressants he referred me to a pdoc. It really helped a lot. Pdoc's have much more experience and knowledge about these mood disorders.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Hugs.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Yea, anxiety is a side effect of wellbutrin. It did settle down for me though. But I wouldn't count on that. I would talk to your doctor about something else because occasionally it does bring it back up again. I know sometimes they will put you on
something else to counteract the anxiety if the wellbutrin really helps.
Just talk to him, he should be able to help.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

Hi and welcome to SR

I've been on Wellbutrin (Bupropion) since the end of August. If i may suggest, wait it out. Give it a solid 3 months before switching. My dr. told me that many times people switch too quickly.

It is also perscribed for weight loss in heavy people and that's why you have no appetite also to quit smoking. I specifically am on it for depression but my weight issue is part of my depression so it's nice not to feel hungry all the time. The only side effects that i really had/have is at night, sometimes my mind races and it's hard to fall asleep. My. dr. suggested a sleeping pill (low dose) to help.

I will tell you that i had anxiety and alot of symptoms because i was reading about the side effects and it became like i took on the side effects. At first, I thought for sure i would have to get off it but now i LOVE it and wouldn't change for the world. I'm on 200 mg twice a day.

But like others have said, if this one is not to your liking, see your dr. about switching, there are millions out there. I was on Prozac at one point years ago but didn't like that one.

Good luck and i bet you start feeling better soon
Old 01-28-2008, 03:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i am on the same thing and also lexapro the combination is good but my anxiety is still pretty high i take lizapan now insted of xanex and it seems to work ok as long as i remember to take it which is twice a day but with all the meds i am on im surprized that i can remember anything at all.
well good luck and it did help me quit smoking too. and i have been on it since jjuly, good stuff
[email protected]
Old 01-29-2008, 08:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SuicideDoll View Post
If you think of depression as a dark cloud, sometimes when it is lifted it reveals stuff underneath (anxiety), which can still cause some issues. The "N" part of the SNRI can sometimes agitate anxiety, though this often figures itself out with time. Make sure you keep your doc up to date on the side effects you experience.

Appetite changes is a common side effect, definitely something to let your doc know.

Has anyone ever dealt with this before, with wellbutrin/bupropion, or any others for that matter? Should I try and stick it out for a bit longer?
It is great for helping people stop smoking (diff. dosing for people looking to stop smoking, but it can be a nice side effect for those using it to help improve depressive symptoms).

It often takes a couple months for things to settle in, and things can be tweaked as you go. Finding the right med/dosing can take some time, but if you keep your doc in the loop and stay compliant with taking it, that will give you a good shot at figuring out what will work best.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pedagogue View Post
If you think of depression as a dark cloud, sometimes when it is lifted it reveals stuff underneath (anxiety), which can still cause some issues. The "N" part of the SNRI can sometimes agitate anxiety, though this often figures itself out with time. Make sure you keep your doc up to date on the side effects you experience.
I meant NDRI (Norepinephrine and Dopamine Reuptake Inhibitor)...whoops!
Old 02-12-2008, 10:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had to try a few different anti-deps before settling on one. They also made my manic side come out and made me very anxious (the ones that I had problems with).
Old 02-12-2008, 04:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was on Wellbutrin for about 2 weeks. I felt like I was going to jump out of my skin. I was worried and anxious 24/7. I hated it. I was then switched to Lexapro. Much, much better. Today, I don't take anything.....my health care will no longer cover mental health drugs or anything to do with mental health. Can you imagine that....your mental health is what keep the rest of your body healthy. If your mental health is bad, you can develop a lot of other illnesses. Health care sucks!
Old 02-12-2008, 07:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
I was on Wellbutrin for about 2 weeks. I felt like I was going to jump out of my skin. I was worried and anxious 24/7. I hated it. I was then switched to Lexapro. Much, much better. Today, I don't take anything.....my health care will no longer cover mental health drugs or anything to do with mental health. Can you imagine that....your mental health is what keep the rest of your body healthy. If your mental health is bad, you can develop a lot of other illnesses. Health care sucks!
Walmart (though evil with other things) have a nice formulary of $4 generic meds. If you talk with a doc about an affordable med, maybe you can have the best of both worlds.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

wellbutrim can cause lots of anxiety and irritation. its also known as zyban the anti smoking drug and thus works on those receptors in the brain to help with quitting smoking. ironically its also used as an anti depressant. wellbutrim gave me seizures and i had to get off right away. if you are having anxiety from it then its not for you. talk to your doc right away about this.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ped, good advice. I have a doc app. at the end of the month, I am going to mention that.

Hugs...........Lo