Notices

Facing Life's Challenges

Old 12-31-2007, 02:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Arrow Facing Life's Challenges

Here is a thread of daily meditations to help face the challenges in life with optimism and strength. I have found these to be a great tool to help with my depression, anxiety, and PTSD. I hope you find something each day that helps you.

The source for these is:
Facing Life's Challenges
Daily Meditations for overcoming depression, grief, and "the blues."
By Amy E. Dean
Old 12-31-2007, 02:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you're experiencing depression, going through a grieving process, or just having a hard time shaking "the blues," the 366 meditations in Facing Life's Challenges will help you muster an optimistic attitude---even when things are most difficult! As you make these thoughts a part of your daily routine, you'll find that you're more able to accept the circumstances in your life, and you'll learn how to take action that will bring you a sense of peace, stability, and comfort.

This inspirational book will help you gradually minimize your emotional lows, and maximize the self-empowering highs that will enable you to effectively handle all the challenges in your life.

This book only offers options for facing life's challenge; what you do with this information will be up to YOU! The ability to choose is what you will ultimately help you overcome depression, grief, and the blues. As Dr. Viktor Frankl, a Holocaust survivor who had everything and everyone in his life taken from him, said, "The last of the human freedoms [is] to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's way." What this means is that it's not what happens to you, but your reaction to what happens to you, that determines whether you'll feel miserable or marvelous.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

December 31

"Together, this collage of thoughts, feelings, and desires forms a visual Inner Map, leading us deep into our hearts and souls---to our very essence." Authors Gay and David Williamson

Creating an Inner Map

You traditionally look forward to a fresh start---a clean slate---at the beginning of a new year. But the majority of the resolutions you make on New Year's Eve can be punitve rather than positive, or they may focus on what you think is "wrong' rather than on what you think is right. After all, how many of your resolutions begin with "I will not....." or "I've got to...."?

Gay and David Williamson suggest an end-of-the-year exercise that encourages you to create an Inner Map---a sort of visual New Year's resolution that allows you to focus on your hopes and dreams rather than on your mistakes or regrets. You'll need scissors, colored paper, glue, old magazines, old greeting cards or postcards, dried flowers and herbs, small beads, glitter----anything suitable to create a collage. Reflect on an aspect of your life you'd like to improve, such as your diet, your moods, and so on. Begin to assemble a collage of images and words that reflects your deepest thoughts on this aspect. Refrain from forcing your design; rather, let your creativity flow.

Then, when your piece is finished, examine it for messages and guidance as a way to get in touch with your deepest needs. Or share this New Year's Eve activity with a supportive friend or family member or members of your support group so you can build communication and closeness.

I create an Inner Map for the New Year.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Life!

As Dr. Viktor Frankl, a Holocaust survivor who had everything and everyone in his life taken from him, said, "The last of the human freedoms [is] to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's way." What this means is that it's not what happens to you, but your reaction to what happens to you, that determines whether you'll feel miserable or marvelous.

I've begun to see some really profound truths here on SR lately.
This is definately one of them!

Thanks for the exercise to do. I know I will make this collage for the coming year. I *may* bring in the idea for my classes on Wednesday! A visual goal is much better than a written one!

Thanks, Judith!!!

Shalom!
Old 12-31-2007, 10:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Still Standing

Oh Judith,
Thank you so much for sharing this. I've printed this idea out and I'm going to get started on it. I'm so excited because I immediately knew what my Collage will be centered around.

I've always had an extreme desire to just get out there amongst the people in my life and just show them love and interest and encouragement where needed, and I have done so for short periods of time, but always end up back in isolation because of my depression, insecurites and low self-esteem. Which gets worse each time I fall back. I'm going to build my collage around this. I really believe that it will help me and one way is that I'll have it to look back at, when I start to isolate again. I can see some real promise in this idea. (((((((((((((Appreciation Hugs))))))))))))))
Old 01-01-2008, 10:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

January 1

"Better do to no end, than do nothing." Robert Burton

Taking Responsibility

Robert Burton, a 17th-century scholar, wrote The Anatomy of Melancholy---an exercise in self-hlp---over 350 years ago to combat his own depression. The theme of his book presented a powerful challenge that has stood the test of time: The only wat to break the cycle of brooding thoughts is to act responsibly on one's behalf. One way to do so is to start today to learn all you can about your mood disorder. Such knowledge can help you make decisions about your recovery, as well as enable you to decide how to combat such feelings in the future. You can learn more through published materials----books, audiocassettes, and magazine articles----or by talking with friends and family members who have gone through what you're now experiencing.

What you may discover from such self-education is that you may need to take responsibility for your feelings and release the blame that you've placed on everything and everyone else (your parents, your job, your health, your income, your friends, the cruel world, or even the weather) in your life. The difficult part of taking such responsibility is accepting that you own your feelings; the beneficial part is acknowledging that claiming ownership empowers you to make positive changes that can free you from negative emotions.

So begin today, this first day of the new year, by resolving to keep the words of Elbert Hubbard in mind: "There is no failure except in no longer trying." Take responsibility for yourself and your feelings through self-education and by ceasing to blame, so you can begin to make responsible decisions for yourself.

I take responsibility for my own feelings
Old 01-01-2008, 02:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To Life!

Take responsibility.
Release blame.
Empower myself.

Powerful words here, Judith!!!
Thanks for sharing -- again!

L'Chaim!
Old 01-01-2008, 10:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

January 2

"Melancholy has ceased to be an individual phenomenon, an exception. It has become the class privilege of the wage earner, a mass state of mind that finds its cause wherever life is governed by production quotas." author Gunter Grass

Building a Support System

When unemployment climbs, inflation rises, and the economy falls into yet another slump, economists often issue dire warnings about "recessionary psychology"---a pattern of cuts in consumer spending and investments that feed the downward spiral. But there's another, more profound kind of recessionary psychology that's measured by psychic, rather than economic, indicators. People change their behavior in the face of layoffs, cutbacks, or a drop in net worth. Some drown their troubles in alcohol. Others turn to snacks or rich food. Some become violent and abusive; others lethargic and hopeless. When the economy slumps, so does the national psyche.

During the Great Depression of the 1930's, everyone was in the same boat and knew that their fellow human beings were suffering equally. Due to this common bond, people as a whole were able to pull together in ways that aided themselves as well as the country. But as a result of the present-day disparity between the "haves" and the "have-nots," when the country suffers as a whole, the individual suffers too. That's why it's important to build a strong support system that can help you through the tough times in your career or your financial situation. Today, make a list of three friends or relatives who can provide you with assistance when you're feeling down about these issues. Then add the names of two professionals who can offer you guidance to get you through these difficult times. Regard the individuals on this list as your personal support team---people who can help you make sound, objective decisions when you're not able to make them for yourself.

I am building a strong support system for peace of mind.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

January 3

"An ice-packing plant in Chicago burned down years ago. This building had all the material inside capable of extinguishing the fire, but it was in unavailable form; it was frozen. You are the same way. You have all the material inside capable of putting out the fires in your life, but it is frozen by fear, doubt, anger, anxiety, and indecision." Dr. Allen Unruh, author of Illness as a Teacher.

Emotional Responsiveness

There are healthy responses to emotional pain, as well as destructive responses. Most people have a tendency to react to trauma by denying, suppressing, or numbing their painful feelings. A common example of this phenomenon often follows the death of a loved one. Rather than openly grieve, the survivors may suppress their sad emotions because they feel they need to be strong for others or because they think they won't be able to handle those feelings.

But when you refuse to grieve, you prolong the healing process. You continue to have feelings of intense loss for a much longer period of time, are at a higher risk for developing physical illnesses, and are often prone to depression that is stronger than that of someone who openly expresses emotions.

How can you be more emotionally open following a loss? First, accept that it's normal to feel pain. Yes, it does hurt like hell to lose someone you love, but while you may not enjoy the pangs of sadness, it's healthy to admit that you cared so much. Next, you need to give yourself permission to express those emotions. Even though your mind may be telling you, "You shouldn't cry, you shouldn't be sad," you need to let your tears flow, and you need to feel meloncholy. It will be good for you to cry on someone's shoulder---especially someone who will listen, care, and not be judgmental. Such natural responses to emotional pain can lead to healing and long-term recovery.

I respond to the pain of loss by expressing---not suppressing---my grief.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

January 4

You assume that the way you see things is the way they really are or the way they should be. But this is not the case. You see the world, not as it is, but as you are---or, as you are conditioned to see it." Author Stephen R. Covey

Self-Observation

Negative thoughts can play an important rold in depression. Common thoughts include: "I'm no good," "No one understands me," "Life isn't fair," "I'm a failure." and other self-deprecating assessments. Oftentimes, these thoughts are combined with self destructive behaviors. For example, if you think, "I'm fat," then you may establish patterns of overeating that serve to confirm this label; if you thing, "I'm not a good lover," you may refrain from intimate involvements. Over time, negative thoughts can become so habitual that they warp your sense of reality, and you start to believe what you think. As a result, your depression will worse. As Sally Kemptom said, "It is hard to fight an enemy who has outposts in your head."

The best way to gain a clearer---and more realistic---understanding of yourself is to acknowledge that you are allowing your negative perceptions to supersede reality. So it's you, then, that needs to look at your life from a different perspective. The next time you have a negative thought, really listen to it. If you're communicating that thought to someone, hear what you're saying. If you're doing something that validates a negative thought, observe your actions. What you may find is that simply being aware of a negative thought or feeling is all it takes to lessen its impact and sometimes even dissolve it.

As the first step in letting go of negative thinking, I observe myself.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

January5

"Sadness flies on the wings of the morning, and out of the heart of darkness comes the light." author Jean Giraudoux.

Positive Attitude

A positive attitude doesn't pop into your mind by itself the minute you wake up in the morning. How you feel is a decision you need to make every day. If you find it hard to be upbeat you need to start each day in a more constructive way. Here are some suggestions for uplifting rise-and-shine activities.

* Wake up to your favorite radio station, not a shrill alarm. Allow yourself a few moments to slowly stretch, and then take several deep breaths.
* Think about one or more positive things you want to accomplish today.
* Allow yourself enough time to get ready at a civilized---not a frantic---pace.
* Eat a healthful breakfast
* Discuss interesting plans for the day with your partner, roomate, or children.
* Focus on some positive feature about the day, such as the weather, a hug from your child, or a nice wake-up cuddle from your pet.

Over time, you may feel so motivated when you wake up that you will add exercise to your morning routine, prepare a delicious lunch to take to work or school, or delay reading the morning paper or listening to the news so you won't be negatively affected by tragic stories or world problems.

I develop a positive attitude at the beginning of each day.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
To Life!

This is an AWESOME thread, Judith!!! :bounce

Thanks for sharing it with us!!!

L'Chaim!
(To Life!)
Old 01-05-2008, 01:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for that last post for a reminder.

It really helped me. I wanted to add:

*make lunch the night before if you work outside the home
*make sure your breakfast is protein...eggs or cottage cheese work for me and sometimes cereal if it has protein and not tons of sugar
*shower the night before and then in the morning just do a quick rinse to wake up - the night shower or bath will also help you settle down for the night.
*in the evening drink some hot tea or my favorite now is just plain hot water - hydration with a warm effect.
*bring something positive to read or listen to and arrive to your work early (like 30 minutes and do your meditation there in the parking lot) - then you're not rushed with traffic etc. (and you can get a great parking space! -- haha)

Those are just some things that have helped me in the past...and wanted to share.

Hoon
Old 01-05-2008, 07:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am glad you are finding these useful. It helps me to write them out as it forces me to concentrate on what it is actually saying rather than just skimming through it.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

January 6

Life is risky; we are all acrobats
Tiptoeing over one bridge or another
To a tightrope walker
The rope is just like home
Those who hold their bodies lightly
And their minds simply
May seem in danger
But they are safe.

--Chinese scrolls

Risk Taking

Too often you may feel scared by what you want to do and might not be able to do, fearful about what others will think if you try something new, worried that the circumstances in your life will never change no matter how hard you try to change them, frightened that you'll never be able to realize your dreams. You may let these fears stand in your way, blocking your progress and thereby preventing you from taking risks that can help free you from feelings of despair. You may say yes when you really want to say no, you may stay stuckin the rut of your daily routine when you really want to try something new, you may behave in ways others have come to expect rather than push for acceptance of new behaviors.

But you're never going to feel different about yourself or your life if you don't try something you've never tried before. Life is a risk but only to those who will take it. So what do you have to lose? Risk something today---take a different route to work, say no, ask for a raise, speak your mind. Try something. Try anything. Take the risk!

I try something new and benefit from taking this risk
Old 01-07-2008, 01:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

January 7

"Geez, if I could get through to you, kiddo, that depression is not sobbing and crying and giving vent, it is plain and simple reduction of feeling. reduction, see? Of all feeling. People who keep stiff upper lips find that it's damn hard to smile." from Ordinary People, by Judith Guest.

Play and Creativity

When you're depressed, you may feel like you're at the bottom of an emotional well---and incapable of summoning the strength to climb out. You may feel the need to lie down, curl up in a tight ball, and hope that you never wake up---that is, just totally put an end to your pain. As Dr. Carl Simonton observes: "When you're depressed, your whole body is depressed, and it translates to the cellular level."

Because the opposite of depression is expression, healing a depressed spirit requires raising the energy level. One way to do this is through play and creativity. What playful, creative things do you liek to do or have you always wanted to do? Maybe you want to learn how to paint. Maybe you want to write poetry. Maybe you want to learn how to prepare vegetarian dishes. Maybe you want to make a quilt. Maybe you want to take up a sport such as golf or tennis.

Today, take the first step toward participating in a playful, creative endevor. Buy or borrow a set of pastels and paper, and then experiment. Take a walk through the woods and create a poem about the experience. Visit a health food store and explore the cookbooks for a recipe you'd like to try. Sign up for a quilting class or lessons from a golf or tennis pro. Then let the fun you have and the creativity you express help you beat your depression!

I explore my creativity so that I am more involved with life.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

January 8

"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright agian when the storm had passed away." Aesop

Dealing With Crisis

In the Chinese language, the symbol for the word crisis denotes a duality---"a moment of danger and of opportunity." Through this symbol, the Chinese communicate that every crisis is both an enemy---a threat to your vital resources---as well as an ally, an experience that can help you feel challenged so you can make changes and grow.

The Greek meaning of the word crisis translates into "moment of judgement." When you face crisis, you make a judgement about whether to concentrate on the dangers or on the opportunities in the crisis. So the combined message of the Chinese and Greek meanings for crisis becomes: There are dangers as well as opportunities in all of life's crisis, but in any crisis you have the freedome to choose which you will view it as---a window of opportunity or a window with closed shutters.

If you can feel challenged by any crisis that life tosses your way, then you'll be able to experience a sense of control over your reactions so you won't feel helpless, hopeless, and victimized. Just as a severe winter storm is often followed by brilliant sunshine and cloudless blue skies, so too do crises have their positive outcomes. Today, believe in the words of John mIlton in his classic work, Paradise Lost: "The mind is its own place, and in itself / Can make a heav'n of hell, a hell of heav'n." Accept the challenge of a crises by greeting it like a reed in the wind, bending through adversity, but always capable of standing upright once again.

I am flexible during adverse times; I go with the flow of life.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

January 9

"It's a rare person who goes through life without accumulating hurt feelings that can lead to anger and depression. When you consider that stress is the pressure of an unexpressed feeling, you realize how many feelings are being shunted into emotional overload every day of your life." --Dr. David Viscott, psychiatrist.

Remembering The Past

Being depressed today doesn't necessarily mean that today is depressing. Most people who are depressed at this moment may have been depressed for many years and not sought help for it. This may be a result of holding in negative feelings of hurt and anger whenever they occurred in the past or in having unresolved concerns over childhood issues. So, while dealing with the cause of your current depression can ease some of your present-day symptoms, it won't necessarily help you didg up the root feelings of the depression. The dynamics of this condition confirm this fact: First you're hurt, but you internalize the hurt instead of expressing it; your hurt turns to anger; your unexpressed anger is then directed inward as guilt; the energy used in this process of internalizing and redirection uses up your emotional reserves so you feel depressed.

Thus, the cure for depression is not to release the anger, but to release the original hurt from which the anger evolved. What this means is that rather than treat your current symptoms of depression, you can get the greatest help from searching for and then dealing with its root causes. To do so, work with a mental health professional who is trained to help you in the search, become involved in a support group that deals with childhood issues, or use meditation and journal writing as an aid in self-discovery.

I examine my feelings from the past and release them in the present so I can enjoy my future.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

January 10

When I stick to a diet that is high in grains and vegetables, I feel better and my moods are more stable. Junk foods that are high in fat, sugar, and salt deepen my depression and make me more hyper. ---Mary Ellen Copeland, author of The Depression Workbook.

Diet and Nutrition

What you eat can affect how you feel. Caffiene and sugars speed you up, but then let you down. Dairy products can be hard to digest. Salty foods can make you feel bloated. Eating foods you're allergic or sensitive to can disrupt your digestive system or cause headaches, sinus problems, heartburn, or skin rashes. Yet, oftentimes the foods that make you feel the worst are the ones you crave the most. So, while you may begin each morning trying to change your diet for the better, during the day you may give in to your cravings so you end up in the same "lood mood" by the time evening comes around.

That's why a strict change in diet for a short period of time can be so importance in making long-term changes. By giving yourself a chance to feel how a different diet can impact your moods, you can then become more sensitive to the food choices you make. A diet that's high in complex carbohydrates can increase your level of serotonin, a neurotransmitter that has an antidepressant, effect. Interstingly enough, Prozac, a prescription antidepressant, chemically increases the level of serotonin in the brain. To nutritionally raise serotonin, you can eat foods such as whole grain breads, pasta, grains, potatoes, and vegetables.

Making dietary changes is not always easy. Your new diet may require more effort, but the positive results that you will see even after just two weeks may make this new way of eating much more appealing.

For two weeks, I follow a diet that emphasizes complex carbohydreates, and I monitor how I feel.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

January 11

"We must discover security within ourselves. --author Boris Pasternak

Healthy Love

When pop idol Andy Gibb, the youngest brother of the singing group The Bee Gees, died in 1988 at the age of 30, those who knew him weren't surprised. In 1981, during his pinup-poster boy phase, he met actress Victoria Principal, whom Gibb regared as his "very special lady." When the affair ended after 13 months, he was devastated.

"When we broke up," he told an interviewer on a national television show, "I gave up everything. I didn't care about life." Erratic behavior cost him a stint as co-host on a popular musical television show, and he was replaced in a Broadway production after missing 12 shows in 6 weeks. Throughout it all, Gibb blamed his problems on the breakup. Ironically, one of Andy Gibb's 1977 hits was "I just want to be your everything," and that seems to be just what he expected from an intimate relationship--to have his woman be his everything. Marge Piercy described this kind of unhealthy love as, "Love says, mine. Love says, I could eat you up. Love says, stay as you are, by my own private things, don't you dare have ideas I don't share."

In reality, there's no person in the world who can be your everything. Those you love can give you wonderful material and emotional gifts, but ultimately you have to be your everything. Losing a relationship only feels like it's the end of the world when you've given your world away. Today, resolve that when you love again, you'll share your love, and accept the love that's shared with you--but you'll give nothing more away.

I celebrate the joy and passion of healthy love.