Notices

diagnosis question

Old 12-27-2007, 06:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question diagnosis question

I was told in the past that I am "manic depressive"?, and at the beginning of my last pregnancy was being asked several questions about my health history, and mental health came up. The nurse told me that manic depression and bi-polar disorder are the same thing; is this true? I had my daughter a couple months ago, but am suffering from baby blues and noticed that I'm headed into a very dark place I hoped I would never visit again. Should I be worried that my depression is bi-polar and is it the same thing? I'm so confused.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

manic depression IS the same thing as Bipolar disorder....most people call it bipolar disorder nowadays.

If you've been told in the past that you are bipolar then it would be beneficial to you, your baby and your family to look up what that means. Basically there are two types: bipolar I (full-fledged manias) and bipolar II (less severe manias called "hypomanias") and you can be a rapid cycler in either type.

I'm bipolar II, rapid cycler. I've had 2 full-fledged major depressive episodes and am working on staying out of the 3 by having a series of ECT treatments.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
believer

Hi Sammy...

I can imagine how hard it is....I am coming out of depression..

Can i just give an advice...Try some yoga...If you do get to find a good teacher, you will see the difference...A good teacher, very important...

big hug guys!....Have an awesome and a healing year....
Old 01-10-2008, 01:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
up and out

Ooh yeah....Yoga is the BEST!! It would blow your mind how much you get out of what seems like so little effort.
Much love to you Sammybear. We are here for you.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sammybear View Post
I was told in the past that I am "manic depressive"?, and at the beginning of my last pregnancy was being asked several questions about my health history, and mental health came up. The nurse told me that manic depression and bi-polar disorder are the same thing; is this true? I had my daughter a couple months ago, but am suffering from baby blues and noticed that I'm headed into a very dark place I hoped I would never visit again. Should I be worried that my depression is bi-polar and is it the same thing? I'm so confused.
Just a little heads up on your Baby Blues. Baby Blues is something that most women go through after the birth of the baby and is widely accepted to be realated to hormonal changes. Baby Blues can last UP TO 2 weeks.

If Baby Blues last more than 2 weeks-it is now considered Post Partum Depression. At this point it is very important to let the people around you and your medical providers know about your feelings, symptoms and how long they have lasted. PPD can affect people who have never had any problems with depression/anxiety or other mental health issues, but it goes without saying that if you have had a previous mental health issue OR you have experienced PPD with a past pregnancy then you are more likely or predisposed to experience it again.

It is so important to seek help as soon as possible. PPD can (not always) progress to post partum pyschosis and just with PPD if you are predisposed there is a greater chance of suffering from PPP.

Hang in there, educate yourself of the 3 phases of PPD, and talk to your support people and medical providers.

And yes, Manic Depression is now refered to as BiPolar disorder. GL