Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Mental Health
Reload this Page >

tell me what you know about passive-aggressive behavior

Notices

Old 12-07-2007, 10:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

i'm in a rush to get to work but would like to hear about this topic. tonight when i get home, i will share my stories.........
Old 12-07-2007, 09:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

Got this from a website:

PASSIVE-AGGRESSIVE PERSONALITY CLUSTER

Passive-aggression is a learned behavior often developed in response to overcontroling parents during childhood. Later this "overcontrol" might be projected onto authority figures like bosses, teachers, and spouses. Sometimes this unassertive behavior may be modeled within families. Because it's a learned behavior, passive-aggression can be replaced by developing an awareness of this behavior and the anger behind it as well as learning and applying assertive behaviors.

Passive-aggression is currently unlisted as a personality disorder in the DSM-IV although it might make a comeback after further research.

What are the signatures of passive aggressive behavior and the folks who've learned to operate in this indirectly aggressive way? Persons who act in passive aggressive ways do some of the following:

*Have difficulty saying no to persons viewed as authorities. In seeming to outwardly comply with requests, the passive aggressive person will procrastinate, leave work undone, obstruct, do an insular job, do what was not requested, misplace, or "forget" to perform the requested tasks. When asked about their problem with delivering, the person with passive aggression is likely to make excuses, blame, or become sullen while claiming only good intentions.

*Often feels put upon, controlled, pressured, and victimized.

*Frequently is involved in fibbing, omitting information, or lying to avoid direct confrontation.

*Prone to "cheating" and being found out in long-term relationships and marriages.

*Often has challenges paying bills in a timely manner and may have a poor credit history.

*Likely has a history of poor interpersonal relationships where friends and partners are frustrated by indirectness and passive aggressive behaviors.

*Will make dates and stand people up.

*May be in denial about passive aggressive behaviors, claiming only good intentions.

*Are frequently in trouble in work situations for excessive tardiness and incomplete tasks.

*Have high rates of somatic complaints and headaches.

*May abuse alcohol and substances.

*Have a higher incidence of depression.

*In relationships may complain about partners to third parties instead of discussing issues directly with their partners.

*Chronically "forgets" to do important tasks whether for self or others.

*Claim to "do too much" for others.

*Giving a yes when actually meaning no.

*Submissive on the surface.

*Attempts to block or frustrate others (With underlying anger).

*Seeding conflict between others and gossiping.

*Giving mixed signals: unclear yes and no's.

*Criticalness, subtle denigration, leaking hurtful information, sarcasm.

*Complaining about bosses, authorities, teachers, spouses behind their backs.

*Denial of emotions.

*Holding back on important information.

*Hunting for negative traits to avoid intimacy.

*Lack of commitment.

*Arguments and temper tantrums coming out of nowhere.

*Withholds important information.

*Wavering on courses of action.

*Angry about being powerless, yet not able to assert this.

*Sensitive about having requests made to them.

*Often lagging in education and careers.

*Fearful of being disliked.

PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE PERSONALITY CLUSTER

*People take advantage of my giving nature.
*I do "too much" for others.
*People are angry with me for no good reason.
*Some people want to use me and care nothing about me.
*I forget sometimes, doesn't everyone?
*I must do it my way or I lose all respect.
*I hate being told what to do or being pressured.
*I'll lose respect if I give in.
*I'll do this in my own time. I'm in no hurry--screw them.
*I hate deadlines. They can wait.
*Being angry isn't me--I won't give in.
*I'm not a conformist--I refuse to be another brick in the wall.
*I know I promised, but things came up.
*People try real hard to control and dominate me. Not.
*I'm nothing if I let others take advantage of me.
*It's easier to fib than to get in a possible argument. They always win anyway.
*Others put too many demands on me.
*No one dominates me.
*They have no right to be upset with me--I really tried.
*Do not lecture me.
*Authorities demand too much and interfere too much.
*I must be approved and accepted, but not controlled or dominated.
*Bosses, lovers, teachers are always trying to get over, get the most out of me. They can wait.

Approaches to handling passive aggressive behavior:

*It's very important to become aware of thoughts, feelings (Especially anger), and behaviors leading up to passive aggression. Denial plays a part in passive aggression. It's important to take full responsibility for this behavior and not blame it on others. "I wouldn't procrastinate if others didn't pressure me."

*Learning direct and assertive behavior is very important here. Practicing direct and assertive behavior until it becomes a habit.

*Belief processing the Passive Aggressive Personality Cluster. Also uncovering and integrating passive aggressive beliefs is quite helpful.

*Using the Pattern Tree directly on passive aggressive behavioral patterns is valuable.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

if God wanted us to bend over, he'd put diamonds on the floor - Joan Rivers! Does this make her passive-aggressive????? that just made me laugh!

thanks for this information, it's really helpful. but come on -who doesn't complain about their bosses?

well, i see myself in every other bullet point in the information provided. great!

now what? what am i so angry about? i guess i just need to get that pinpointed and go from there.

controlling parents? well, yeah. we kids were never allowed to express anger, but they sure were.

thanks again!!!!
Old 12-10-2007, 05:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sweet Christmas secrets

I see myself in quite a few of those and I also see all of my addicted children in all of them including my youngest son ....

perhaps this is the core problem
Old 12-11-2007, 09:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I see myself in all of those. Wow!

So, passive-aggressive behavior is feeling angry but not exerting that anger and taking it out in other ways?

Wow.:puppet
Old 12-11-2007, 09:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

Wow. I knew what passive-aggressive behavior was (and complained about it in others!), but seeing the specific behaviors laid out like that, I can definitely see myself in them!
Old 12-12-2007, 07:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hooner View Post
I see myself in all of those. Wow!

So, passive-aggressive behavior is feeling angry but not exerting that anger and taking it out in other ways?

Wow.:puppet
Passive-aggressive is being indirect. It's like when a roomate finishes all the milk that YOU BOUGHT (!!!!) and instead of confronting him about being a greedy leacher, you say, "This sucks! I can't enjoy my cereal without milk". You would say this right in front of him of course. Some people say that sarcasm is a form of passive-agressive behavior (as mentioned in the first post). But all that other stuff mentioned is too much. Seems like that source was giving reasons why PA would be considered a personality disorder. But a lot of it seems like a stretch.

I had a session on this topic. At least I think. After reading this post, I'm beginning to think there are three separate schools of thoughts about PA. (1) A a personality disorder (2) as a personality trait (3) as a way to respond and relate to people. What's described in the second post is way different from what I've learned.

To be fair, my "class" was titled "building relationships and socializing skills" (something along those lines). We learned that there are four main ways that people can relate to another person or react to another person.
Aggressive.
Passive
Assertive
Passive-aggressive
But i think that's a different form of passive aggressive. You know what I mean?

I'm really thrown off by that second post. What's the site you got the info from? It is the typical definition of Pa (I just checked dictionary.com for back up, not that I don't believe you guys at all), but I wonder if that's no longer the case.

http://dictionary.reference.com/sear...ive-aggressive