Notices

Depression Med

Old 10-30-2007, 03:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depression Med

I was wondering if anyone knew of any specific med for depression that seems to have the best success rate and lowest side effects of any other? I know that everyone responds differently to different anti depressants, but I was wondering if there just might be one out there that seems overall better than all the others?
Old 10-30-2007, 05:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Well, honestly, because meds effect everyone differently, I don't think that question can be answered...though I could be wrong.
SSRI's were thought to be the wonder drug, but, they make me crazy, so, count me out with them. They cause sexual dysfunction and often weight gain.
Welbutrin has few of the "normal" side effects; little to no weight gain; no sexual dysfunction. But, it can bring on panic attacks and/or aggitation. It's not an SSRI.
There are older drugs, but, the SSRI's were thought to be a welcome relief to their side effects. OY!
So, pick your poison, it seems.....
And discuss this with your doctor. Cuz, in the end, only you and your medical provider can determine what's best for you.

Shalom!
Old 10-31-2007, 07:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well these are great questions to ask the doctor (preferably psych doctor) of your choice. ASK QUESTIONS! As many as possible, even if they seem immaterial or dumb. Other questions will come.

Wellbutrin was the first one that popped into my head. It's NDRI, so it works differently than almost all anti-depressants out there. It has never made me jittery or given me that "bump of energy" that it gives other people, but it has always worked ok for depression. There are still many low moments though. This depression is pretty deep I guess. As HisTeach mentioned, it generally has the least side affects, but it may be different for you.

Originally Posted by pedagogue View Post
Wellbutrin is pretty popular for those who don't react well to SSRI side effects, though it isn't perfect because some don't like the 'speedy' feeling they get on it. It also lowers the seizure threshold (meaning if you are prone for seizures, it could make it easier to have one), but that shouldn't be an issue for most people.
-p

Also remember to tell the psycdoc about all medical problems you have (chest pains, heart complications, migraines, weight problems, arthritis, frequent stomach ailments etc.), those issues can play an important role in med options. Also, it depends on how your depression works.

If you get real sick, call him/her right away. If it isn't doing much after 4weeks or so, then it's time to modify the treatment. Talk therapy in combo with meds help a lot if you can afford it or have the time.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The SSRI's wore out and quit working for me. I am on a new mix....a newer class of drugs that hits two neurotransmitters, Effoxor being the one I am on and has worked best of everything and I have been a med guinea pig for so many years now! Also on Welbutrin because I need that activating effect. And for sleep trazadone, which is also an old antidepressant.
I just got really sick because I ran out of my meds and couldn't afford the refills but boy when I first started them and they were working I was amazed, it really was the best cocktail ever for me. I couldn't believe how good I felt....unfortunately that didn't last long as I wasn't able to stay on them because of expense but I now have applications in all over the place for assistance with meds, even some for free.