Notices

Embarrassing moment.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Jerzy007

Embarrassing moment.

I've been working at this office job as a temporary receptionist for the last couple of months while the receptionist is out on maternity leave. This is my first good job in since June after a depressive episode when i decided to go on a homeless heroin binge for a couple months, then entered treatment, was stabilized on meds, went to a halfway house, saved up, moved into a room at a nice townhouse, stayed sober for 3 months, relapsed last week for a day, came back to AA, and have been doing meetings again.
Well, anyway, i've b een handling the stress of working and paying bills quite well. Everyone at my job seems to like me and my boss (president of a big corp!) told me a couple weeks ago that he wanted to hire me permanent! YEs definetly an answer to my prayers.
Today, a fedex package was delivered to us with the wrong address on it and my immediate boss decided for me to call them and tell them to pick it back up, it was the 1st time i ever did this. While I was on the phone with FE3dex for about 10 min explaining the situation and confirming the tracking number the President called supposedly 6 times but i didn't pick up. In retrospect, i should have put Fedex on hold but i didnt. He then calls the CEO's and a couple other of the bigshots here angry that i didnt pick up the phone for him and they all reprimanded me. I realize that everyone makes mistakes and even though i have been doing a good job here (even showed up to work all week with a cold) i now have feel like i jeoperdiazed my permanent position and am obsessed with the mistake and really embarressed. Life on Lifes terms is beating me down today and im feeling bad. Wanted to get that off my chest.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

i've been there a lot....the same spot where i feel like i screwed up royally. usually tho...it's much worse in my head than reality. And truth of it is that mostly good/hard work over-rides screw ups. The not answering the phone thing will be forgotten quickly, most likely. And since we can't go back in time...no use worrying over it. It's already happened...so whatever will-be, will-be.

i've done much worse....trust me....and they still love me after more than a year. Really....it's the majority of your work that counts, not the occational mistakes.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Jerzy -

perspective from 'somewhere else' ... big deal.

nobody went broke.
the social and economic structure of the world did not in fact collapse.

big poobah got his feelings hurt is probably more accurate.

they'll be over it by monday.

and YOU ... didn't pick up over it.

please remember that -

no job
no man
no car
no status
no image

is worth picking up over.
ever again.

hang in there you're doing great!
Old 10-14-2007, 02:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Everyone does things they regret. I agree with barb dwyer..and next week they will all have forgotten about it.

I know it's easier said than done to forget about it. I hope you're doing better today.

Katie
Old 10-15-2007, 10:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Jerzy007

Yup, it was all straightened out by Monday and the Pres admitted that it was not my fault...im working on dealing with the intense feelings of shame and embarrassment when those types of scenerio's crop up. Thanx for the love:ghug