Notices

Different kinds of stress

Old 10-02-2007, 11:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Different kinds of stress

I'm a wedding minister (Have been for a few months now)
As part of my job, I stand in front of sometimes 100 people speaking in Japanese, where I can't make a mistake or else I may lose the job, or get in BIG trouble. I enjoy the job, however it is stressful having that hang over me (The 'Don't make a mistake or else...' factor). However, when I go to this job, I don't panic, I don't get anxious, in fact I feel quite calm and physically well. During the ceremony I don't feel at all bad, even with all eyes on me (The bride and groom face away from the crowd so the crowd is looking and listening to me).

Now put me in a room (A classroom) with a single student, no stress, only 45 minutes, close to home, and the stress I have there (Maybe the student is just not doing well, didn't do their homework, or irritating me for reasons I would not normally be irritated) is greater than that I have at the weddings. So what's the difference here? What am I not seeing?
Old 10-02-2007, 01:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi DaVinci,

Actually, we have similar kinds of jobs, although I donīt come near weddings.

But, I am a University lecturer half of the year and every two months I direct festivals. Then I have to speak in front of ... maybe 6000 people.

I also go to seminars and speak and answer questions in many countries.

That is not a problem for me. I just read well what I have to say, prepare it really well and then I go up there and speak.

But the classroom is different. The kids can be and usually are quite difficult. They are speaking on the phone in class, girls sending textos to guys, etc. Some are doing their nails and answer sarcastically. Some are listening to music! Then there is almost always the "revolutionary" who is against everything I say or do.

Sometimes I have to really raise my voice and tell them to ***shut it!

Itīs not bad to remind myself that I was a nightmare at that age myself, using and drinking.

But I know what you mean. Most of my colleagues find it much more difficult to teach then give lectures or speeches. I think itīs normal, because teaching can sap energy out of you.

Love and light,
Old 10-02-2007, 05:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I wanted to add...

I wanted to add:

When we are speaking in public, I think we get into our roles, so all goes smoothly. The role takes us out of our anxiety, in other words.

You mentioned only one student. I give private lessons as well as teaching at the University, but that takes more energy than teaching a class full of students. Youīre one on one with the student and he or she demands all youīve got.

I think itīs just normal to be anxious before private lessons. Your anxiety will go down as time goes on and you become more comfortable with your student.

Love and light,