Notices

Lexapro

Old 09-26-2007, 10:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lexapro

I just started on Lexapro for Anxiety attacks. I feel strange. Does anyone else use this and what are your experiences so far?

Thanks... broken
Old 09-26-2007, 10:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I had a hard time with Lexapro and Zoloft, the best way to describe the experience was it put me in a "dark mood". After that I tried Paxil which worked well, but I was advised that it might be addictive, so I switched to EffexorXR and stayed on it for a year.

If I have any advice or suggestions it's to let your prescriber know if it's not working for you, and remember also that it takes some time for any of these meds to be fully effective. It can be uncomfortable for awhile, you might need to adjust dosages or try a different type.

None of us on SR are doctors, so please consult your doctor if something doesn't feel right.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I started Lexapro I didn't feel well at all for the first few days. Dry mouth, nausea, tingling. Those went away after a week or so. There were some sexual issues for about 6wk but those went away too. For me it's been a great help but it does take a couple weeks before you get the full effect of it. My only long term side effect was weight gain.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My son,still an active drug addict,incarcerated and on his way to prison,because of actions while under the influence is taking lexapro,for depression and my granddaughter for anxiety said they haven't felt any effects from taking it but,dr. says it takes a few weeks.I think you should let your health provider know how you feel.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It sounds like normal side effects and they usually go away. Ive felt that way when they up a dose.

Otherwise I love being on Lexapro it helps keep my anxiety manageable
Old 09-27-2007, 03:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i quit that drug after a year. Why take a medicine that increases your serotonin while anxiety/panic is caused by adrenalin/nonadrenalin imbalances?
Old 10-13-2007, 09:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

l was on 300mg Effexor for Depression and severe Anxiety and the Dr. switched me over to wean me off the Effexor to Paxil. They started to do it weekly and it was too fast a jump and it was down to 150mg. Effexor and half the prescribed Paxil (cannot remember), but l went through a terrible withdrawl and had to be taken to the ER and was told by a Dr. that the two meds combined gave a worst side effect when taken together not only when dropped at such a fast rate, but the fact that l was on the Effexor for 4yrs.
So the ER dr. dropped the Paxil and put me right back on the Effexor at 300mg. immediately and put a note of what occured in my chart so the Psychiatrist could see that this was not a very good decision in my case.

The Dr. called me at home in the next two days to see how l was doing and l told her l was very dissapointed that none of my calls had been returned and l ended up at the ER in the condition l was in, almost contemplating suicide because of the horrid side effects and she told me that it was not her fault and must have been the Pharmacy and she was going to call and find out who issued that precription. She called back soon after and said the Pharmacy did not issue that prescription so no one knew how the mistake got made........Next she tried me on Lexapro and l basically slept 22 hours a day. l found it hard to get up and go to the bathroom or even get a drink to take my medications. l called the Dr. again and told her that l could not stay on this medication as l was a zombie and was not able to function at all.

Anyways, l am back on the Effexor and told her there is no way l am going back on the Paxil, nor am l changing to any kind of drugs for awhile to give my body a rest as l had a very good scare.

With any kind of drug, (l was a Nurse) but with any kind of drug l take, l check it out on the internet and if l have any kind of questions, l now ask the Pharmacist and if concerned call the Dr.s office to make sure she knows that there is a questionable side effect that might not agree with me. l question everything now.

Chelle
Old 10-14-2007, 08:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Went for my follow up with the Doc.... I stuck it out. So I can honestly say Lexapro is working. Things seem to be better. I am less shaky and I seem more incontrol of me. I can say so far so good now that my body has adjusted. Others say I seem less nasty. HA! Everything can roll off my cuff now. It is not such a HUGE issue anymore. I do not have the pain in my chest. Which is great. I feel much more centered. I guess that is the right word. Before I started it, I was all over the place. So I can say the lexapro seems to be great. It was just getting used to it and sticking it out but now I am 100% great!!! Love it!!! Thanks everyone!