Notices

changing meds...I'm scared

Old 08-09-2007, 08:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
hippy

changing meds...I'm scared

Hi,
after discussion with doc, we agreed to change my citalopram to prozac and increase my quetiapine. As I am going from one ssri to another he said I wouldn't have any probs.
BUT.....I was on max dose of citalopram and I am changing to min dose of prozac. I am pretty scared I will feel withdrawal effects. I didn't think about it until I picked up my prescription!

Anyone any thoughts?

Hippy
xx
Old 08-09-2007, 09:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

All you can do is give it a try. I just had my meds overhauled and I had avoided it way long until I got really sick, played the meds game so many times over the years, but I knew I needed help.
My new meds are a miracle! So far
Old 08-09-2007, 09:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Had my med's changed twice this year and these really work for me, the others were making no difference to me anymore and I was fast going back downhill.

indigo
Old 08-09-2007, 04:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
hippy

?

but the point I am trying to make is going from 60mg citalopram to 20mg prozac. surely thre is a strength difference?
Old 08-10-2007, 07:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Th mgs might not matter....I just switched from 60 mg Cymbalta to 25 mg zoloft (very low dose) and was really worried but it was no problem at all.....
Old 08-10-2007, 08:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The mgs are no measure, trust me on this one. That amount of prozac may be equal or stronger than your prior med. Have you googled them?
Old 08-10-2007, 09:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
hippy

re change

Hi,
I haven't googled them but I am reacting badly to the change. I have had stomach cramps, tight chest and I have a rash all over the upper part of my body. I have a really really bad rage growing. I am going to take my seroquel soon and go to bed (5pm here!) as no one is safe around me. I don't feel very safe myself so bed and sleep are the best place for me.
I phoned the duty doctor who was useless. This conversation continued (this is almost word for word)

Doc "why are you taking prozac?"

Me. emmmm....depression

Doc. Mmmm yes. Are you still taking the antibiotics

Me. No, they finished about 3 weeks ago

Doc. Why did you change to prozac?

Me. .......because they weren't working!

Doc. MMmmmm. ok....and you have a rash you say and stomach cramps?

Me. uh huh

Doc. well....you can either continue to take the prozac and see if the rash gets worse or better....or you can go back to citalopram and see if it gets worse or better!

Me. emmmm thanks.

What is that all about? Flaming doctors! I could phone the psych team but I think I will just try to sleep it off and just not take any of them and just take more of my Seroquel if I feel bad over weekend.

Hippy
Old 08-10-2007, 09:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just wanted to make sure you're not taking Lamictal. If you are and get a rash it can be very serious....
Old 08-10-2007, 10:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You need a better dr!!!!
Old 08-10-2007, 10:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
hippy

re doc

I am not taking lamictal thanks.

the doc wasn't my own doc. It is the system over here if you want to speak to a doc via phone you just speak to the one from that practice who is on duty that day.
Useless moo!
I googled and it seems that some people get allergic rashes to fluoxetine as in the generic drug, but not to the brand name one prozac. Strange but there you go! I had it before and it was the prozac brand. That is another part of the system here, the drugs prescribed are by generic name, not brand unless there is a good reason for it. I think it is in case the docs are taking bribes from companies.

Hippy
xx
Old 08-11-2007, 03:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
To Life!

What side effects may occur?

Side effects cannot be anticipated. If any develop or change in intensity, inform your doctor as soon as possible. Only your doctor can determine if it is safe for you to continue taking Prozac.

Side effects may include:
Abnormal dreams, abnormal ejaculation, abnormal vision, anxiety, diarrhea, diminished sex drive, dizziness, dry mouth, flu-like symptoms, flushing, gas, headache, impotence, insomnia, itching, loss of appetite, nausea, nervousness, rash, sex-drive changes, sinusitis, sleepiness, sore throat, sweating, tremors, upset stomach, vomiting, weakness, yawning...
...If you develop a skin rash or hives while taking Prozac, discontinue use of the medication and notify your doctor immediately.
http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/r.../pro1362.shtml

I would call a doctor about the rash.
Also about the fact that you state you are a danger to others.
This is a medical emergency. Please don't hesitate to get yourself help. If you cannot get someone to take you seriously on the phone, go to a hospital.

Take care, and let us know how it goes....

Shalom!
Old 08-11-2007, 05:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

ditto!
Old 08-11-2007, 10:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
hippy

thank you

Thank you,

I slept from 5pm to 3am. I awoke looking like a bashed tomato and was itching uncontrollably. However, the feelings of anger had gone.

I have consulted emergency services and I have indeed had an allergic reaction to Prozac. I have definately not to take anymore. They are sending report to doc. They expressed surprise at the advice I had been given. I have had anti histamine and to continue to take anti histamines and it should ease by tomorrow.

I have to take more of my seroquel until I see regular doc, I will make appt on monday. If I am bothered by anymore negative reactions I have to get in touch with emergency services again.

I am going to take my seroquel early again and just go to bed. Mood actually feels ok, but I am quite drowsy with the combination of increased seroquel and anti histamine.

Thanks for advice and listening.

Hippy
Old 08-13-2007, 11:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
To Life!

Thanks for letting us know how it's going. Please do continue to do so.
We care...

Shalom!
Old 08-13-2007, 11:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
hippy

thanks

thanks,
it is not going so well. Had major probs with doctors etc. So at the moment, I have not had anti d's for 4 days and feeling effects. Had a major farce in trying to make shrink understand what I was trying to tell him today via phone calls, voice messages etc.
He tried to get me to take prozac again saying he didn't think I was allergic to it. Excuse me....I was there! He said it was unlikely seeing as I had had it before. But other doc told me it was far more likely considering I had had it before. My faith in docs is shot.
At the moment I am trying to control my anger with the help of my seroquel. I think he eventually realised I was not in a good way so he recommended taking much more of my anti psychotics and he will call me tomorrow.
At the moment I hate him, the duty doctor, the receptionists at GP and mental health team.
I have been given a really bad run around and my faith in them is gone. They don't communicate, they don't listen.
Thank you for caring. I was beginning to believe no one did. Sorry...I am in self pity mode too!

Hippy
Old 08-13-2007, 07:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Just my non-medical advice 2 cents....please take with a large grain of salt.

In the psych doc's defense, citalopram and prozac act similarly, though he may have underestimated a subtle pharmacokinetic differences that can play a role, or s/he thought that it wouldn't effect you (which is quite possible considering the low dosing).

The prozac combined with the serequel both effect something (CYP450 2D6), which can lengthen how long the meds stay in the system, and theoretically can increase their effects. Since a rash is a common side effect of prozac, this could make some sense. Though at 20mg (approx starting dose), it is odd that you'd get this side effect this badly, though everyone is different. There are other things that can play a role, so this is far from the only possibility.

It sounds odd, but the doc has a point about wait and see....since many of the problems can subside. I know it must be frustrating, but trying to find the right balance can take some time. Unfortunately many times docs don't have enough time with their patients, and it'd be better if they took more time to explain stuff....though the above isn't something he'd mention because it isn't something that usually would happen at a starting dose, considering your other SSRI dosing Hx.

-p
Old 08-14-2007, 12:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
hippy

thank you for that.

Thank you,
that was very interesting. I looked up CYP450 2D6 on the net

So have I got this right in my simple form!?
Drugs are metabolised by different stuff in the body. The one that metabolises Fluoxetine and citalopram are the same/similar? So having gone from maxdose of citalopram and then taking fluoxetine, I have had a level of same/similar type drug in my body, thus making a reaction (although not necessarily an allergic one?) more likely.
Fluoxetine stays in the body quite some time, so while my initial bad reaction has subsided, it would explain why I am still itching??

If I continue with this withdrawal of anti d's and keep myself fairly stable with the use of my anti psychotics, then my body might be more able to accept fluoxetine another time?

My friend has changed anti d's several times and he said he has always had to have a few days withdrawal before starting another. If I had done this, I might have not had the reaction?

I have food for thought here. I will have to talk about this to shrink.

Hippy
Old 08-14-2007, 04:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I can't speak to specific cases, I just wanted to put out one possible explaination. Your treating doc can better address your specific issues.

-p
Old 08-14-2007, 06:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
hippy

ok

yeah thanks,

I just wanted to see if my understanding was correct.
I am not going back on theSSRi's for the time being anyway. The shrink phoned and wants to treat me with anti psychotic/mood stabiliser.
I read up quite a bit on bipolar and what I read made sense. When I was being treated with anti d's alone, I never got any better and in fact got worse and had a major manic/psychotic episode resulting in me being admitted to hospital.
I only started to get better with the addition of anti psychotic/mood stabilising drugs. I suppose I am being impatient in expecting docs to get it right first time!

Hippy
Old 08-14-2007, 07:04 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
To Life!

Keep up the good work, hippy.
We're happy that you're going in the right direction, though, I know it can be frustrating at times.

Shalom!