Notices

Physical illness a symptom of depression???

Old 08-03-2007, 10:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Obsessed Pug Momma

Physical illness a symptom of depression???

Not long ago I heard something on tv about depression causing a person to get physically sick. It just briefly mentioned this as being a sometimes symptom of depression, but did not elaborate.

For quite a long time now, I periodically get symptoms not like other times when I'm sick. Not coughing or congested. Totally different symptoms. It usually only lasts one day and is gone after I get a good night's sleep. For awhile now I've been thinking it is related to stress. Until this week, it had never lasted more than one day. However, I've been off my antidepressant for about 6 weeks. Finally crashed about a week ago and right at that same time, my physical symptoms returned and this time they have not gone away. It's been about a week of feeling this way. So anyway, I'm wondering if anyone here has information on this subject. I'd like to know if it's true that depression can produce physical illness and, if so, what those symptoms are. Thanks in advance. And btw, I've been back on my antidepressant for a few days now.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I pulled off your wings ...

You probably saw the Ad for Cymbalta (depression hurts right?)

Well Im not a doc but from personal experiance it could be... may I ask what anti - d are you on?

Aside from the bodily feelings ... how is your mood?
Old 08-04-2007, 07:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

Clinical depression is a mental, emotional and physical illness. It is actually caused by chemicals, or rather the lack-of certian chemcials in the brain.

the deeper the depression...the more physcial symptoms one notices. In the height of a major depression the illness can be VERY physcial.

during and for a while after a major depressive episode (i've had 2 in my life, the first lasting a year and the second lasting 2 years)...i literally "dropped out of life" for long periods of time.

Fatigue is a big symptom. sometimes so severe that had it not been for my mom coming over to my house to make me a sandwhich or bring me a glass of water then i would not have eaten that day....as it was everything i could do to get myself out of bed to walk to the bathroom as needed.

Lowered immune system is another. when i get sick...i stay sick for months (and sometimes nearly a year with sinus infections and bronchitis) because my system just can't heal as quickly as normal.

IBS- Irritable Bowel Syndrom....i never had it until the onset of my depressions and whenever i drop back down, it is always worse. I know of others who have dealt with this.

Stress related physcial symptoms - when depressed we are less able to handle stress and so our bodies become literally sick with stress. My most outward symptom of stress during my depressions is acne....my face complete breaks out worse than when i was a teenager. And during my last major depressive episode....more than half my hair fell out - luckily it was only noticable in that my hair went from being too "full" to be able to clip up with most large hair clips....to being able to put it all up in one very small one.

then of course there is weight gain or weight loss that comes with depressions....and for many like me....our bodies just ache. Some get migraines or specific pains like back and arms and legs. I just ache all over.

Sleep - depression affects sleep quite a bit. we either sleep more or sleep less. When depressed...i always sleep more. I've sleep for days at a time where i only was awake for brief periods of 5 minutes to an hour to smoke, eat or go the bathroom and then literally could not stay awake any longer.

there is more, but that's all i can think of off the top of my head. most people don't realize any of these things about depression. But when you've been through it or seen someone close to you go through it then you realize that the best way to describe how major depression wrecks a person physcially is to explain that it's a lot like going thru chemo-therapy for cancer patients.

but as i said.....there are many levels of depression and the worst phsyical symptoms are tied to the worst levels of depression. So moderate or low-grade depressions would have such severe phsycial symptoms to deal with.

hugs,
Jenna
Old 08-05-2007, 04:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Perhaps its whatever your weakness is. I get very bad migraines during depression. Also I feel like gravity has been turned up and it takes all my will power to get out of the chair - which makes me feel guilty for being lazy - which makes me feel more depressed.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

caraway....don't let yourself believe you can control it. it's not just you that struggles like that.

I NEVER got headaches before depression came into my life...now all the time.

I like the way you describe the weighty-ness of depression on a body "like gravity has been turned up.'

I tried to describe that to my excellent pdoc a couple years ago by saying "it's like wearing a cement coat. my whole body feels heavy and takes so much effort just to lift an arm to scratch my head."

His idiotic response???!!!! Something having to do with me needing to lose weight. I wanted to scream at him, but of course he said it more diplomatic than i just put it and of course i just didn't have the energy to scream at him...and of course i knew he was only human. but still...he's such a good doc that i wish i could have truely explained it to him.

having trouble getting out of the chair when dealing with depression has NOTHING to do with laziness....just as having trouble getting out of a chair when you have 2 broken legs isn't laziness.....IT'S TRUELY DIFFICULT! Don't let your brain make you believe for a second that it's your fault or lack of whatever.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Obsessed Pug Momma

I initially didn't post my symptoms or my medications because I wanted to see how others would respond before hearing my own specifics.

I've been depressed since at least age 13 when it became SEVERE. Childhood was bad even before then with abuse issues, but i'm not sure if true clinical depression set in before 13 or not. My depression has been chronic, further complicated by PTSD and lots of low self-esteem issues, etc. I do not have periods of remission unless I am on an effective anti-D. My depression has been extremely difficult to treat. PDocs tried probably 8 meds before finding that zoloft worked for me. It improved my mood, but I still struggled with the depression. Zoloft quit working after a few years. Then it took another 3 years and probably 12 more kinds of meds before we found that Welbutrin works. But i'm terrible about going off of it, then of course I crash a few weeks later.

Anyway, in the past few years i've started getting a different kind of sick. Different than just the eating, weight gain, and sleeplessness and heaviness. When it happens, I literally feel like I'm coming down with something, I feel overall just yucky (not coughing or congestion or sore throat) and I feel like i'm running fever, but my temp goes way BELOW normal. Just like I'm coming down with something, but it hasn't become full-blown yet, is what it feels like. Any time I feel like this, my temp has dropped to usually 97.3 and even as low as 96.7. It usually comes with headache too. Weird thing is, it seems associated with stress and is usually gone by the next morning. But this time I've had it for a week straight. Same symptoms. But this time i was off my meds for about 6 weeks (Welbutrin and Trazadone) and my depression bottomed out. Perhaps that's why the sick feeling has lingered for so long. Thanks for your shares. i was just wondering if someone would mention the same symptoms.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

have you ever thought about ECT? I've known of people personally that it's worked for their depressions quite well, with little or no side affects and little risk involved.

If i had those symptoms i'd never know it as i'm sick most the time anyway. What you mention about your temp tho does register a cord with me. Most the time when i feel like i've got a fever and i ask someone they say i don't feel hot. Then if i go to the doctor or take my own temp it will be low as you described. Docs and nurses never have seemed concerned about my temp being low, but i've always taken note of it.

I'm interested now to know if it actually might be connected to my depressions. Another thing for me to file away in the back of my brain for later thought. Thanks! And let us know if you make any further realizations about this issue.

hugs,
jenna
Old 08-06-2007, 10:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your experiences with depression Shutterbug. I went for years and year with awful depression, I would be lethargic indoors but when I went outside I was a nervous wreck. Walking into a shop and having to face people was a constant ordeal. I tried to explain it to doctors but never seemed to get much help. Once I remember getting some Ativan. The first one I took felt like a physical weight had been lifted off my head, but after that there was no effect and coming off them was worse than ever. Another time I actually got some antidepressants but when I took one I felt even heavier than before so I went to bed. When I got up my legs gave way under me. It really frightened me as my elder son was only about 18mts old at the time so I flushed them down the toilet. Finally, in more recent years I got some Prozac and it really works for me - providing I don't drink! I also have half inderal beta blockers for migraine which also help to calm me down - its just a low dose.

But its awful when doctors don't seem to believe you, like you just visit them for the fun of it (I hate going to the doctors). I can understand why you felt angry. I used to feel both angry and incredibly guilty like I believed what I thought was their view of me - a malingerer. Things are much better for me now though.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

I go on and off antidepressants.
I will get very physical symptoms.
I have had a lot of horrid stress to deal with in the last couple of years since leaving my ah.
Well, I got turned down for a mortgage because of him! Long story, but upon hearing the news, I got so down I started running a fever. I ran the fever, which has never happened to me before, for 2 straight days. No other symptoms.
I knew it was depression hitting me again.
I do get many physical symptoms when the depression comes around.
Stress can make you sick!
Old 08-07-2007, 08:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Daydream....i want to thank you again for telling us about your symptoms of fever and such. the last few mornings (during the last half of my sleep hours) i have felt hot even tho the air conditioner is in a window at the bottom of my bed pointed right on me. I didn't pay any thought to it as it is summer right?

this morning i realized it's not due to the temperature in my room, but the feeling you described of having a fever. i don't know why i hadn't realized this before, but it just goes to show the obvious things in our lives we can easily look right past as being normal. I've been up for an hour now and still feel that way...along with my typical morning fatigue. i guess it's always been such a struggle to get up and get to work when feeling like this that all i cared about was making myself move and get out the door somehow...and therefore just never paid attention to what else might be going on with me.

Just another insight into this illness....