going to meetings to start off my sobriety

Old 07-26-2007, 12:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
trying to get it..

going to meetings to start off my sobriety

Well, my meetings are set.......at a hospital barely a mile away from where I live they have Starting the Steps meet every Friday and a new comers old timers meeting every Saturday evening....if necessary they have meets every night ....at first I was going to see if I could just do it.......but the more I thought and read here...I decided that I should at the very least try some meetings......it will give me something to do, and the sppt. As well.....even though my wife will be keeping an eye on me at home..but the beast finds work for idle hands and minds..
Old 07-26-2007, 01:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Glad to hear you're going to try some meetings. I've been going to one or more almost every day since 2/21/05. For me they're a lifeline, the members are like family, and the room is like home for me. I've never felt safer or more welcomed anywhere else. It can't hurt to try, right? Just try to have an open mind and listen for the similarities rather than looking for differences. And remember, it's not a cult, they'll really want to help you.

I tried to quit on my own countless times over many years, and failed miserably every time. AA is a "we" program, we get and stay sober together as a Fellowship.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
trying to get it..

Originally Posted by Astro View Post
Glad to hear you're going to try some meetings. I've been going to one or more almost every day since 2/21/05. For me they're a lifeline, the members are like family, and the room is like home for me. I've never felt safer or more welcomed anywhere else. It can't hurt to try, right? Just try to have an open mind and listen for the similarities rather than looking for differences. And remember, it's not a cult, they'll really want to help you.

I tried to quit on my own countless times over many years, and failed miserably every time. AA is a "we" program, we get and stay sober together as a Fellowship.

thax astro..your advice " similarities rather than looking for differences" is interesting and i will keep that in mind.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How do you find out where they all are? I glanced at their homepage, but my nerves are so shot that I gave up.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
trying to get it..

Originally Posted by Campergirl View Post
How do you find out where they all are? I glanced at their homepage, but my nerves are so shot that I gave up.

I googled "my city/ AA meetings"...it was a link to an AA maintained page with inpat. outpat. info. etc.meeting by day address type with maps embedded... etc.....stick with it... try again.......
Old 07-27-2007, 07:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by Campergirl View Post
Here's a link to the AA meeting page http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org/....cfm?PageID=29