Words to live by.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Words to live by.

--Cherie Carter-Scott

Rule One:
You will receive a body. You may love it or hate it, but it will be yours for the duration of your life on Earth.

Rule Two:
You will be presented with lessons. You are enrolled in a full-time informal school called 'life.' Each day in this school you will have the opportunity to learn lessons. You may like the lessons or hate them, but you have designed them as part of your curriculum.

Rule Three:
There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of experimentation, a series of trials, errors, and occasional victories. The failed experiments are as much a part of the process as the experiments that work.

Rule Four:
A lesson is repeated until learned. Lessons will be repeated to you in various forms until you have learned them. When you have learned them, you can then go on to the next lesson.

Rule Five:
Learning does not end. There is no part of life that does not contain lessons. If you are alive, there are lessons to be learned.

Rule Six:
'There' is no better than 'here'. When your 'there' has become a 'here,' you will simply obtain a 'there' that will look better to you than your present 'here'.

Rule Seven:
Others are only mirrors of you. You cannot love or hate something about another person unless it reflects something you love or hate about yourself.

Rule Eight:
What you make of your life is up to you. You have all the tools and resources you need. What you do with them is up to you.

Rule Nine:
Your answers lie inside of you. All you need to do is look, listen, and trust.

Rule Ten:
You will forget all of this at birth. You can remember it if you want by unravelling the double helix of inner knowing.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for that. It rings so true. Especially the lesson will be repeated until learnt

I like your signature quote about judging others too. I've passed it on to others who have appreciated it as well.
Many thanks
Old 07-18-2007, 02:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

How simple that all sounds, and maybe life IS simple and it's just we who complicate it.

Rule Nine:
Your answers lie inside of you. All you need to do is look, listen, and trust.
I love that truth.

Thanks, Annie.

Hugs
Old 07-18-2007, 03:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Stillness Speaks
--Eckhart Tolle

Silence is helpful, but you don't need it in order to find stillness. Even when there is noise, you can be aware of the stillness underneath the noise, of the space in which the noise arises. That is the inner space of pure awareness, consciousness itself.

You can become aware of awareness as the background to all your sense perceptions, all your thinking. Becoming aware of awareness is the arising of inner stillness.

Pay attention to the gap -- the gap between two thoughts, the brief, silent space between words in a conversation, between the notes of a piano or flute, or the gap between the in-breath and the out-breath.

When you pay attention to those gaps, awareness of 'something' becomes -- just awareness. The formless dimension of pure consciousness arises from within you and replaces identification with form.

True intelligence operates silently. Stillness is where creativity and solutions to problems are found.

Is stillness just the absence of noise and content? No, it is intelligence itself - the underlying consciousness out of which every form is born. And how could that be separate from who you are?

The form that you think you are came out of that and is being sustained by it.

It is the essence of all galaxies and blades of grass; of all flowers, trees, birds, and all other forms.

Stillness is the only thing in this world that has no form. But then, it is not really a thing, and it is not of this world.

[...] What is wisdom and where is it to be found? Wisdom comes with the ability to be still. Just look and just listen. No more is needed. Being still, looking, and listening activates the non-conceptual intelligence within you. Let stillness direct your words and actions.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I Fly With The Eagle.

I fly with the eagle,
A long side the master of breath,
We descend from the place of stars,
Down into the birth of dawn,
Our Mother celebrates a new day,
Father sky is all a glow,
Golden yellow, scarlet red,
The welcome is spread,
Words of silver are said,
By sight alone,
All is told with a spectacle of the Great Spirits creation,
Love glides across the shy,
Nothing has to be said by word,
Interpretation is there for those who look,
Understanding is there for those who think,
Consideration is there for those who forgive,
Forgiveness is there for those who are tolerant,
The Great Spirit and his messenger,
See through the mist,
Nothing escapes his notice,
All deeds brought to mind,
The flight of the Great Spirit, is swift and endless,
His flock of messengers are diligent,
Tireless devotion is their endeavor,
So be there for our Creator,
Be there our Mother the Earth,
Be there for each other.
Remember there watching.
My sacred vision my spiritual dream.
Osceola Birdman Waters
Old 07-19-2007, 07:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Indie
Do you know how special you are??

Thank you for alll your inspirational quotes, poems, and your thoughtfulness.
I am learning sooooooo much from you.

Love you my friend
Old 07-20-2007, 02:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Alla you are very special too and I love you.
Annie
Old 07-20-2007, 02:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

The Seven Traits of Creative People
--Deepak Chopra
Listen To Audio!

The deepest reality you are aware of is the one from which you draw your power. For someone who is conscious only of the material world, power is limited to material forces; but at a more profound level there is a creative power shaping the mind and body [...]

To get in touch with the core of life, you have to get in touch with the creative power of the universe. That power expresses itself through your personal creativity. When you are in the field of creativity, you lose track of time. Only the flow exists.

There are three forces pervading all of life: creation, maintenance, and destruction. All three are present in the life span of cells, stars, trees, planets, and galaxies, since every form must come into being, be maintained, and pass away. Even though each life span unfolds in a sequence over time, the three forces themselves exist simultaneously. The genes of every species include the code for creating new cells, maintaining each cell for a certain time, and destroying it to make way for another generation of tissue. This three-in-one intelligence is what you are trying to affect when you consciously shape your life; it is up to you which aspect -– creation, maintenance, or destruction -– is most dominant. Because you have the power to shift the balance of forces, you are above and beyond them.

As long as creation dominates your existence, you will keep growing and evolving. Evolution thwarts entropy, decay, and aging. The most creative people in any field intuitively draw on this understanding. They grow with the full consciousness that they are the source of their own power, and whatever their field, certain traits are generally shared by them.

1.They are able to contact and enjoy silence.
2.They connect with and enjoy Nature.
3.They trust their feelings.
4.They can remain centered and function amid confusion and chaos.
5.They are childlike –- they enjoy fantasy and play.
6.They self-refer: They place the highest trust in their own consciousness
7.They are not rigidly attached to any point of view: Although passionately committed to their creativity, they remain open to new possibilities.
These seven points give us a practical standard to measure how creatively our lives are proceeding. [...]

You don’t have to squeeze every point into each day -- just make a commitment to allow these aspects of your life to emerge more fully.

--Deepak Chopra
Attached Images
File Type: gif
1284571.gif (8.1 KB, 873 views)
Old 07-20-2007, 07:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good Morning Indie

Thank you
Old 07-21-2007, 12:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Counting On Our Ultimate Concern
--Sharon Salzberg

The offering of one's heart happens in stages, with shadings of hesitation and bursts of freedom. Faith evolves from the first intoxicating blush of bright faith to a faith that is verified through our doubting, questioning, and sincere effort to see the truth for ourselves. Bright faith steeps us in a sense of possibility; verified faith confirms our ability to make that possibility real. Then, as we come to deeply know the underlying truths of who we are and what our lives are about, abiding faith, or unwavering faith as it is traditionally called, arises.

Abiding faith does not depend on borrowed concepts. Rather, it is the magnetic force of a bone-deep, lived understanding, one that draws us to realize our ideals, walk our talk, and act in accord with what we know to be true. Theologian Paul Tillich defines faith as alignment with our "ultimate concern," those values that we are most devoted to, that form the core of what we care passionately about. An ultimate concern is not an interest that is merely a fashion or a whim, but one that is a centering point for our lives.

When we wake up in the morning and picture the dealings of our day as consequential, we tell ourselves a story that is based on our ultimate concern. We remind ourselves of loving our neighbor or remembering God. When at the end of our day we recall its events and arrange them in a pattern that reveals something significant, our ultimate concern is what we reference in the arranging. Because of abiding faith in an ultimate concern, the day wasn't just a series of flashing moments, lost to us now and amounting to nothing. We count on our ultimate concern not just for ballast when things get rocky, or for a sense of easy comfort on a bad day; we go there for light.

Our ultimate concern is the touchstone we turn to over and over again, the thread that we reach for to convey a sense of meaning in our lives. It is the glue that connects the disparate pieces, the frame that gives shape to the picture of our experiences. We turn to our ultimate concern when afraid, or bewildered, or when we don't quite know who we are anymore.

--Sharon Salzberg
Old 07-22-2007, 06:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Every Grain of Sand
Bob Dylan
In the time of my confession,
in the hour of my deepest need
When the pool of tears beneath my feet
flood every newborn seed
There's a dyin' voice within me
reaching out somewhere,
Toiling in the danger and in
the morals of despair.

Don't have the inclination to
look back on any mistake,
Like Cain,
I now behold this chain of events
that I must break.
In the fury of the moment
I can see the Master's hand
In every leaf that trembles,
in every grain of sand.

Oh, the flowers of indulgence
and the weeds of yesteryear,
Like criminals,
they have choked the breath
of conscience and good cheer.
The sun beat down upon the steps
of time to light the way
To ease the pain of idleness
and the memory of decay.

I gaze into the doorway of
temptation's angry flame
And every time I pass that way
I always hear my name.
Then onward in my journey
I come to understand
That every hair is numbered
like every grain of sand.

I have gone from rags to riches
in the sorrow of the night
In the violence of a summer's dream,
in the chill of a wintry light,
In the bitter dance of loneliness
fading into space,
In the broken mirror of innocence
on each forgotten face.

I hear the ancient footsteps like
the motion of the sea
Sometimes I turn, there's someone there,
other times it's only me.
I am hanging in the balance
of the reality of man
Like every sparrow falling,
like every grain of sand.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

indie

you always know how to touch my heart!!!
Old 07-23-2007, 01:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thank you,as you do mine.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

The Call To Adventure
--The Mother

We are in a very special situation, extremely special, without precedent. We are now witnessing the birth of a new world; it is very young, very weak -- not in its essence but in its outer manifestation -- not yet recognised, not even felt, denied by the majority. But it is here. It is here, making an effort to grow, absolutely *sure* of the result. But the road to it is a completely new road which has never before been traced out -- nobody has gone there, nobody has done that! It is a beginning, a *universal beginning*. So it is an absolutely unexpected and unpredicatable adventure.

There are people who love adventure. It is these I call, and I tell them this: "I invite you to the great adventure."

It is not a question of repeating spiritually what others have done before us, for our adventure begins beyond that. It is a question of a new creation, entirely new, with all the unforeseen events, the risks, the hazards it entails -- a *real adventure*, whose goal is certain victory, but the road to which is unknown and must be traced out step by step in the unexplored. Something that has never been in this present universe and that will *never* be again in the same way. If that interests you... well, let us embark. What will happen to you tomorrow -- I have no idea.

One must put aside all that has been foreseen, all that has been devised, all that has been constructed, and then set off walking into the unknown. And -- come what may! There. [...]

This courage, this heroism ... why not use it to fight against one's own difficulties, one's own imperfections, one's own obscurities? Why not heroically face the furnace of inner purification so that it does not become necessary to pass once more through one of those terrible, gigantic destructions which plunge the entire civilisation into darkness?

This is the problem before us. It is for each one to solve it in his own way.

--The Mother, From "The Sunlit Path"
Old 07-24-2007, 01:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

The Gentle Art of Blessing, Pierre Pradervand

On awakening, bless this day, for it is already full of unseen good which your blessings will call forth, for to bless is to acknowledge the unlimited good that is embedded in the very texture of the universe and awaiting each and all. [...]

The minute anyone expresses the least aggression or unkindness to you, respond with a blessing: Bless them totally, sincerely, joyfully – for such blessings are a shield that protects them from the ignorance of their misdeed and deflects the arrow that was aimed at you.

To bless means to wish, unconditionally and from the deepest chamber of your heart, unrestricted good for others and events; it means to hallow, to hold in reverence [...] To bless is to invoke divine care upon, to speak or think gratefully for, to confer happiness upon, although we ourselves are never the bestower, but simply the joyful witnesses of life's abundance.

To bless all without distinction is the ultimate form of giving, because those you bless will never know from whence came the sudden ray that burst through the clouds of their skies, and you will rarely be a witness to the sunlight in their lives.

When something goes completely askew in your day, when some unexpected event upsets your plans and you also, burst into blessing. For life is teaching you a lesson, and the very event you believe to be unwanted, you yourself called forth, so as to learn the lesson you might balk against were you not to bless it. [...]

It is impossible to bless and judge at the same time.

--Pierre Pradervand
Old 07-24-2007, 10:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

indie

one of the gals I work with was sharing with me along that very same line..
I wil pass this on...Thank you sooooo much!!!
Old 07-25-2007, 03:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

From Sincerity to Authenticity

One of the most vulnerable living forms in creation is human. At this moment, there are people in a doctor's office getting news that will change their lives forever. [...] There are people having accidents that they never foresaw. There are safe, complacent people whose lives are managed under the dead manacle of control, falling off a cliff into love and into the excitement and danger of a new relationship. In life, anything can come along the pathway to the house of your soul, the house of your body, to transfigure you. We're vulnerable externally to destiny, but we're also vulnerable internally, within ourselves. Things can come awake within your mind and heart that cause you immense days and nights of pain, a sense of being lost, of having no meaning, no worth; a kind of acidic negativity can knock down everything that you achieve in yourself, giving your world a sense of being damaged.

Another way to approach this is to look at the huge difference between sincerity and authenticity. Sincerity, while it's lovely, is necessary but insufficient, because you can be sincere with just one zone of your heart awakened. When many zones of the heart are awakened and harmonized we can speak of authenticity, which is a broader and more complex notion. It takes great courage and grace to feel the call to awaken, and it takes greater courage and more grace still to actually submit to the call, to risk yourself into these interior spaces where there is very often little protection. It takes a great person to creatively inhabit her own mind and not turn her mind into a destructive force that can ransack her life.

[...]

[Even some] lovely people feel that their real identity is working on themselves, and some work on themselves with such harshness. Like a demented gardener who won't let the soil settle for anything to grow, they keep raking, tearing away the nurturing clay from their own heart, then they're surprised that they feel so empty and vacant. Self-compassion is paramount. When you are compassionate with yourself, you trust in your soul, which you let guide your life. Your soul knows the geography of your destiny better than you do.

-–John O'Donohue
Old 07-25-2007, 10:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you Indie

i heard at a meeting about us beinbg so harsh on ourselves the followingwords....Honesty without Love is Brutality

This has had a tremendous impact on me..
I learned to be honest with me in a gentle loving way...I then in turn have the opportunity to be honest with others from a loving caring place..
Old 07-26-2007, 02:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

The Secret To Surfing the Waves, Ani Tenzin Palmo

What we need is to be interested and to watch, but not interfere or be caught up in what we are thinking. Don't think of the past, don't anticipate the future, don't get fascinated by the present. See it as it is. Just be there with it. A thought is just a thought. An emotion is just an emotion. It is like a bubble. It will burst and another one will come up.

When we first begin to put this into practice the mind begins to split. We develop what is called the observer, the witness, the knower. This is an aspect of the mind. It is still just mind, conceptual mind, but it is a mind which is standing back and looking at what is going on, as if at a distance. In itself, this is not ultimate reality, because it is still a dualistic mind. But it is a vast improvement on the way we normally think, because it gives us the space to see a thought as a thought and an emotion as an emotion. Then we can decide whether this is a useful thought or emotion or not. We know it for what is, rather than being absorbed in it. We no longer identify with it.

If we develop this inner awareness, which is like an inner space, we can ride the waves of life. People imagine that to be a meditator you have to always live in very tranquil situations and that you are likely to be inundated if a turbulent situation arises. This is true for beginners, just as it is for someone who is learning how to surf. At the beginning, they have to stick to the small waves otherwise they will be bowled over. But an expert surfer looks for the big waves. The greater the waves, the more fun, once you have your balance. The secret is to be balanced, to be poised. To be a good surfer you need to be neither too tense nor too relaxed, just balanced. This is what we need in our practice, too.

When we develop this inner space, everything takes on a dream-like quality. Not dream-like in the sense of being sleepy, but in that it is no longer so solid, so real, so urgent. It has a quality almost like an illusion. You don't take it quite so seriously, because you are not so totally involved in it. Now when we have that sense of stepping back and seeing life with a degree of clarity, we are able to respond to situations which arise with freshness and spontaneity, instead of our usual automatic response, which is like pressing a button on a machine. We begin to respond naturally and in an appropriate manner.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

Gee Indie, life would be wonderful if we all had a friend like you. I read every post and it made me a little more humble.
Thankyou!!!!