Notices

Rough night

Old 05-09-2007, 11:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rough night

I don't know what I did different yesterday than any other day that made last night such a rough night.

I got up a bit later than usual. I slept in an hour longer. After work, I came home. I ate dinner a little late. I had a big steak for dinner. I'm no stranger to heavy dinners. At 12am I took my benzos and it was as if they had no effect at all. I was up until about 5am trying to sleep. It was as if my mind wanted to keep thinking about photography (My hobby...) I couldn't get into a comfortable position to sleep and was pretty restless. Before bed I had done some leg stretches. At about 2am I sat up in bed, with my eyes closed and did some neck and arm stretches for about 15 minutes. I then layed down and got about 45 minutes of sleep. I was anxious and all over the place...didn't know what to do. Finally, from sheer exhaustion I passed out on the sofa only to wake up 3 hours later. I wanted to keep sleeping so bad. Went off to work and was shaking, took half a dose of benzo and started to feel 'normal'...now it's 3pm and I feel fine. Tired...but fine. I'm off to the chiropractor to get my neck and back cracked.

Does this sometimes happen to others. Even though your meds are working fine MOST of the time, every now and then you get a rough day? My entire day was fine RIGHT UP to the time I started to go to bed. What an terrible feeling.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DaVinci2 View Post
I don't know what I did different yesterday than any other day that made last night such a rough night.

I got up a bit later than usual. I slept in an hour longer. After work, I came home. I ate dinner a little late. I had a big steak for dinner. I'm no stranger to heavy dinners. At 12am I took my benzos and it was as if they had no effect at all. I was up until about 5am trying to sleep. It was as if my mind wanted to keep thinking about photography (My hobby...) I couldn't get into a comfortable position to sleep and was pretty restless. Before bed I had done some leg stretches. At about 2am I sat up in bed, with my eyes closed and did some neck and arm stretches for about 15 minutes. I then layed down and got about 45 minutes of sleep. I was anxious and all over the place...didn't know what to do. Finally, from sheer exhaustion I passed out on the sofa only to wake up 3 hours later. I wanted to keep sleeping so bad. Went off to work and was shaking, took half a dose of benzo and started to feel 'normal'...now it's 3pm and I feel fine. Tired...but fine. I'm off to the chiropractor to get my neck and back cracked.

Does this sometimes happen to others. Even though your meds are working fine MOST of the time, every now and then you get a rough day? My entire day was fine RIGHT UP to the time I started to go to bed. What an terrible feeling.
Dear DaVinci2,

I can totally relate, my friend, as I am having the same problem, at the moment....
I have recently switched back to Valium or Diazepam instead of Xanax & the last two days have been living hell for me....
I don't know what is happening to me at the moment, but I don't like it & I keep taking a little more Valium, hoping it will make me feel better, but sometimes it doesn't....
I guess I just have to grin & bear it for the moment & hope that things improve for me....
God Bless
Old 05-10-2007, 01:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you guys are going through so much. Nothing feels worse than that horrible anxiety. I still have times when I can't sleep and when my mind races at night. I just stay awake and don't fight it. I just accept the fact that I'm not going to get sleep that night.

When I got anxiety like that I would self talk and remind myself that in 24 hours I would feel better and I could make it through 24 hours. Close your eyes and take many slow deep breaths. Take a hot bath. Go for a run. Distract your thoughts by watching a good movie or read a book if you can concentrate. I usually couldn't read.

You won't always feel so bad. This will eventually pass. I did not take any medication and my anxiety finally went away as I learned to cope with it better. The terrible anxiety and panic is caused by a secondary fear. That is the fear of the anxiety itself. Try to keep that secondary fear from kicking in.

Frightened by the surge of adrenaline, one might sit up in bed, feel tingly in extremities, short of breath, anxious or tense. Racing heart, sweating and a dizzy feeling might accompany this surge of energy. The individual wonders what is happening, or what might happen next as they fear heart attack or even death. Adrenaline is to blame for these feelings as it stimulates this episode.

The problem, as any other anxiety problem responds well to alleviation of energy, produced by the event. If the person were to rise from the bed, walk around the house, move off the excess energy, and calmly breathe through the experience, he/she would find the uncomfortable feelings subside much sooner. Many exacerbate the fearful response by thinking, "Oh my goodness, what if I’m having a heart attack!" or "What if this feeling never stops!?!" only amplifying the symptoms by adding second fear or fear of the first fear.

Instead of fueling the adrenaline response, it is recommended one refrains from using "what if" thinking (secondary fear or fear of initial response), and instead employ movement (mild walking) as they expend the energy created by adrenaline. Anti-anxiety coping skills are also recommended to dissolve any physical symptoms caused by the adrenaline surge. Therefore, arising from bed, walking around the house, expending the energy produced by the adrenaline surge and anti-anxiety coping skills (to quiet secondary fears) will also aid in the dismissal of symptoms. The symptoms caused by adrenaline will dissipate as the energy is expended. Without "what if" thinking the additional fear will be extinguished as well. Within a half hour or sometimes less, the individual will have quelled the energy surge, and experience a sense of calm and well-being, enabling them to return to sleep.

By Dr. Ronnie Freedman

Something doesn't go right with us and we get that energy that sends us into fight or flight mode. If you were to suddenly find yourself in danger your body would kick in and trigger your adrenaline so you had enough emergency energy to handle the emergency. The only problem with us is that there is no emergency and suddenly we are in flight or fight mode with no where to go. Our minds are also triggered and we are looking for danger. That may be why we start trying to find the danger by thinking we are having a heart attack or dying. If you are just aware that your body put out too much adrenaline and it will go away it might help. It is a physical-chemical problem. Too much adrenaline. That will not harm you. It just feels horrible.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Determined

Thanks

This is Just such an amazing site.

I stumbled across it for support in my quest to stop drinking, and now I find I can also read helpful supportive posts about my anxiety aswell. This is great.

Anyways to answer the original question at the moment I am on 5mg valium 3 x daily (or as required as is printed on the label) and 80mg of half-inderal propanolol 1 x daily twice if required, to help me with my anxiety. and sometimes it just seems like they don't work!! At other times like yesterday I took one propanolol in the morning and 1 valium and that was it all day and I felt fine even though I was at work, and today I am at home and feel really anxious and shaky about nothing in particular and have had 1 propanolol and am on 2nd valium 1st was 7am.

My anxiety usually manifests itself in a constant state of alarm, I feel totally on edge like something catastrophic is about to happen, and I can't get any peace and then every once in a while I have a total meltdown it can be walking the dog, at work or particularly often being in a large supermarket especially in the queue. Mad or what???!!

I have tried all the stuff about "it will pass" "I am not dying - it just feels like it" "it is unlikely I will pass out" " I do not have to run" but each time it hits me like a train, legs go to jelly I feel really disorientated, feel instantly sick, I sense impending doom (on the scale that armageddon is about to occur) and I get very tearful (aren't our bodies great)

The last time I went top docs, last week, I told him I thought I was going mad, and he said it is nothing psychological but purely chemical and went on to explain about the adrenalin rush and your body not being able to use it so that is why I feel need the need to flee. Put my mind at rest a bit but I still wish I could learn to control it, I probably have full blown attacks at least once a month though in the last month I have 5! I now live in fear of it happening again, therefore rationally I know, making it a self fulfilling prophecy!!!

I will post this somewhere else aswell asking for advice but just wanted to say that yes I agree totally sometimes med is fantastic and at others I feel I have been given a placebo!!!

CW
Old 05-12-2007, 02:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Obsessed Pug Momma

Yes, it happens to me too sometimes, even with my medication, which usually works in a very subtle fashion, but works nonetheless. Sometimes I can trace it to sleeping in far too late in the day, or caffiene. Usually though, it's because I'm worked up over something, hyper, obsessed...and my mind races. There is only one thing that seems to help me a lot of the time, and that's counting. Not counting sheep--that never has worked for me. But what does work for me is trying to figure out what day of the week a certain day will fall on. For instance, I'll close my eyes and pick a date some months in the future, lets say December 25th. I tell myself today is Saturday May 12th. Then with my eyes closed I imagine counting out the rest of may on 7 fingers, then June, and so on until I get to December 25th and see what day of the week it lands on. I rarely ever get to December 25th. If I do, I just repeat the whole thing. Really, when I do that it puts me in a strange state of mind and I just doze right off. I think I doze off because it's so boring, lol. Give it a try!