Notices

Hi all, I'm on Effectzor 75mg...

Old 04-21-2007, 05:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Question Hi all, I'm on Effectzor 75mg...

Hello all, I'm a regular in the alcoholism forums on this site, but I've quit and bumped that problem of mine down MAJORLY and IMMENSLY along with smoking.

I finally went to a shrink 2 weeks and a half ago... needed to, my doctor told me so and I agreed. I was on Zoloft for a year and I thought it was doing a little for me but it really wasn't, or maybe it was because I'm feeling more paranoid and cannot concentrate more than ever, but I'm still starting on finding a proper medication for me...

I have probably had depression or light depression all my life lightly, but lately it's been more than ever, by the way I'm a 21 year old male, very anti social, paranoid about being alone someday as in dealing with life, talking on the phone, thinking I'll make mistakes, or just being dumb thinking I should be einstein and learn things instantly when I read them. Have any of you had these symptoms? *Forget aches and pains, we all know we have those... and also I am on Xanax, 4 0.50 mg pills a day*

Anti social behaviour...
Fear of using the phone...
Not wanting to talk upfront to people...
Thinking your brain is in a fog...
Always paranoid about SOMETHING wrong with my body/health or something...
Thinking one little thing like a piece of food will ruin my cholestral levels...

and I'm sure I have other crap, just I can't think of it right now, that's the MENTAL STUFF... thanks all...
Old 04-23-2007, 01:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Old 04-23-2007, 10:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~Amanda~

Paulos I understand where your coming from. I have some of those feelings you listed also. Your in a great form where people will let you understand how you feel and give you great advice. Welcome.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Hi Paulos,

I started taking 150mg of EffexorXR about 2 months into sobriety. It was a lifesaver for me, helped me to sleep and reduced my anxiety to nothing.

I could identify with a couple symptons you described, especially the brain fog. It took a few months before that went away.

How long have you been taking it? I'm sure you know it can take awhile for these to work to their full potential. If I have any suggestions it would be to let your doctor know frequently how you're feeling in case they need to adjust your dosage or the time you take it. Some prescribers even suggest you keep a journal of how you're feeling so that you can see patterns of good & bad effects.

Scott
Old 04-23-2007, 10:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Rinnie's Grandpa

My daughter has been on Effector for the last couple years...

She suffers from severe depression and anxiety. It has been a godsend, not only for her but for our whole family. Depression runs on my side of the family. I only wish they had these types of meds when my Grandma was living. They sure would have improved her quality of life...

Best of luck to you Paulos...

Wishing you a mentally peaceful life...

One day at a time.

Steve

PS...Hey Astro...Hope all is well with you my friend.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Thank you.

Thanks all, and astro I was on Effector 38.5mg when I was going OFF zoloft *when I was on zoloft 50mg for a year then my shrink realized it was definitely not for me* when he was weening me off the zoloft, then after that week I went to 75mg of Effectzor without any Zoloft for 2 weeks now, so basically it's been 3 weeks so far... 1 week without any alcohol, but I had a MAJOR, MAJOR anxiety attack last morning, at in level 10 problems, no suicidalness or anything like that, but was extremely irritable, depressed, confused, fogged, and anxious... then the Xanax helped. Anyway, just saying... so it's been like 3 weeks on the Effectzor, 2 weeks on 75mg... I hope Effectzor is for me.

And yes I've been keepign a journal, actually I've been keeping a journal since 2005.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Paulos, remember that what I share is my experience only, everyone has different reactions to these medications, you'll need to discover what works best for you.

It took almost 4 months for the fogginess to go away for me. The best way I can describe it is like having my brain full of cobwebs. I also had to change the time of day I took the Effexor so that I could sleep. But once it started to work, it worked very well and life felt normal to me. I took it for a year and then tapered off with no side effects. No regrets whatsoever about taking it.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Hm I see, must have been nice... my pyskiatrist just bumped me up to 150mg due to all the paranoias/ocd tendancies I have such as worrying about my weight constantly, my brain power, and so on... so now I'm at 150mg, just slept for like 7 hours. Felt nervous when I got up, now that's going away a little.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Dear Paulos,
I just thought I'd try & contribute to your thread by telling you that my Psychiatrist diagnosed me with a mild form of Paranoid Psychosis & I have been on medicines called Anti-Psychotics for around 15 yrs........
I am best suited to a brand of Anti-Psychotic called Solian, of which I take a dose of 400mgs daily....
I was very paranoid & I used to obsess & fixate on negative things before I began taking them, & I have been stable ever since I started treatment with Solian over 5 yrs ago....
I must add that when I say obsess, I don't mean Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, as they are two different illnesses...
Solian has fewer side-effects than the older types of Anti-Psychotics....

God Bless you, Paulos, you have been in my thoughts & prayers, my friend.....

Last edited by Spacecat; 04-24-2007 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Formatting Error....
Old 04-25-2007, 01:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~Amanda~

Paulos I hope this makes you feel much better. Keep posting.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Heh still waiting for some effects... all I feel are side effects though, weakness, tired or more irritable and of course my usual problems... just my brain feels more scattered than ever... yeeesh, at times when I meant to say ash I said ask, or hello I said heelo, ergh.