Notices

Ptsd

Old 04-11-2007, 10:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ptsd

do any of you know much about post traumatic stress disorder?
Whats the likelyhood of overcoming this disorder?

Thanks
Old 04-11-2007, 10:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If I remember correctly a version of therapy for it involves something along the lines of becoming comfortable with the triggers that cause/are associated with ptsd attacks in a safe environment so that those triggers can be associated with comfortable things and not just horrible experiences so that they will quit triggering the ptsd.

I guess it depends on how open a person is to therapy. Medication can help with the symptoms, but I don't think that it by itself is a cure.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

I don't really think you overcome it, maybe you do, you just learn to deal and cope in a healthy way with the issue. Therapy will usually get you to that point, medication may help the w/depression, anxiety, part etc. of it.
But most of us do have to eventually deak with the flashbacks, etc.
It may go away but it always comes back, and it can be life changing
once you do learn to deal w/the problems.

I'm not sure, like I said if anyone ever overcomes it completely, but you can heal from the pain. That's my experience and what I've seen with it.
I'm sure others will have different stories as well.
((((((,,,,,)))))
Old 04-12-2007, 09:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Liesagain - this link has lots of info about PTSD:

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/healthinformation/ptsdmenu.cfm
Old 04-12-2007, 10:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi liesagain,

There is also a link here from Morning Glory that is called Emotional Trauma Memory Management. It is really good. I've read it through a few times and it has helped me a lot:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...anagement.html
Old 04-20-2007, 06:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi liesagain,
My heart goes out to you...I not only have PTSD, but I'm currently a student studying trauma and this disorder is a challenge. I would recommend you finding a therapist who knows about the disorder and making a committment to therapy and doing the work to heal. I would also suggest you going to your medical doctor and seeing if he can help you with medications: IF you have a good rapoire with him/her. I would also learn as much about the disorder as possible...knowledge is power....AND there is hope out there...Keep the faith and keep plugging along. Good luck!
Old 04-20-2007, 08:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Liesagain,
I have worked through much of my PTSD but it takes time. I don't know if it will ever be totally gone but I am not afraid of it anymore. I believe a significant part of trauma reaction is unresolved grief work. I also would recommend the book "Waking the Tiger" by Peter Levine, along with the therapist who knows about PTSD. The book helps you understand and lovingly cope with the energy your body produces during these times.
best of luck.
Leslie
Old 04-20-2007, 11:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I deal with the personality disorder, addiction, anxiety and depression that is resultant from my PTS more so than the painful memories/experiences from the trauma its self.

I’m also interested in the unresolved grief work Leslie mentions. Some of my emotional responses to danger have been flattened by my dissociation. Also my self-destructive tendencies have been problematic to my addiction recovery.

Therapy/meds/mental health groups help me. I like to believe there is hope for me and I won’t blow off every thing I’m doing now and return to a life of addiction.

Zencat
Old 04-21-2007, 01:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've had PTSD since 1976 and it does get better. I no longer have panic attacks and rarely get anxiety. I worked through all my repressed memories and don't even have to think about that part of my past today. I have a few triggers that cause a startle reaction, but that's about it. My main problem is the damage the trauma did to my nervous system, but that is livable without medication. Medication would be helpful to me, but I can't take it due to side effects. I fall into depression after stressful times, but float through it until it gets better.

I was never diagnosed with PTSD during the worst of it because they didn't know much then. I got through it by walking through it. There was no treatment and no medication in my time.

You will get through it. Your coping methods will increase. There is treatment now and therapists who specialize in the treatment of PTSD. There is much hope today for recovery.

Hugs,
MG
Old 04-21-2007, 06:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hi, liesagain;

I thought you might get some information here too.
http://www.psybersquare.com/anxiety/anxiety.html
Mark is a wonderful friend, and his website is award winning. If you take a look at it, you'll see why.

I wish you all the best.

Shalom!