Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Mental Health
Reload this Page >

Heart and Mind; Free online video and workbook from NAMI

Notices

Heart and Mind; Free online video and workbook from NAMI

Old 04-09-2007, 06:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
To Life!

Lightbulb Heart and Mind; Free online video and workbook from NAMI

I found this while looking for information about the recent study on depression being overdiagnosed.

Since it is such an holistic and positive approach, and free to boot, ( )I wanted to share it.

To manage mental illness, free on-line video and workbook focus on diet, exercise, smoking cessation
April 5, 2007

Arlington, VA—Treating mental illness does not depend on medication or talk therapy alone. It’s a matter of mind and body, especially the heart.

The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) is making its "Hearts and Minds" program available for the first time, free of charge, through a video and workbook at www.nami.org/heartsandminds.

"Too often, the medical profession and society focus on mental illness alone—which may stigmatize a person. Any individual living with a mental illness needsto be treated as a whole person,“ said NAMI medical director Ken Duckworth, M.D., who narrates the video."

The Hearts & Minds program supports self-management of chronic illnesses such as major depression, bipolar disorder and schizophrenia through a comprehensive approach that focuses on whole body health, including diet, exercise, and smoking cessation.

"You should never have to choose between a healthy mind and a healthy body," says a woman in the video.

"Everything has to work together in order for you to be well. You have to take care of yourself from the top of your head to the soles of your feet."

People with mental illnesses are more prone to die from heart disease than the general population. This is due to higher levels of smoking, diabetes, poor diet and inactivity, all things that people have control over, but pose greater challenges when mental illness is involved.

The 26 page workbook offers shopping tips, a food substitution guide, recipes from a variety of cultures, and general healthcare guidelines. The 13 minute video features commentary about the importance of healthy lifestyles from both men and women who have made positive changes in their lives.
I hope you find it as interesting as I do. Perhaps we can get a discussion going. I know I, for one, had no idea that people with depression were at higher risk for diabetes. Anyone else?

Shalom!
Old 04-13-2007, 09:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

NO, i didn't know that teach, but it definetly strikes a cord with me! As I never had issues with my blood sugar until my second major depressive. Then blood tests showed I was diabetic. Then much later, my own general physican tested me and said those first tests couldn't have been correct. But I know very much what symptoms I had previously been having from any kind of sugar intake!
Old 04-14-2007, 12:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
On The Bus

Free!

My favorite word.