Notices

Caffeine/Nicotine

Old 04-06-2007, 09:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Caffeine/Nicotine

Hi forum,
It's Simon again...I was reading an older post, someone put up regarding these two drugs & how they can be inter-connected in causing insomnia...
I'm a big smoker & coffee/tea drinker & I'm suspecting that the combination of these two drugs can cause me to wake through the night, or have insomnia..although I have no evidence to back up my suspicions...
Does anyone here find that they compulsively smoke/chew tobacco or drink coffee or both, as in my case?

Unfortunately I keep telling myself that I enjoy smoking even though I would gain a great deal of benefits & rewards from quitting the insidious habit....
I don't have any other vices except for smoking & coffee, but sometimes I substitute coffee for fruit juice in the evening & I find it helps me to calm down in the night & I like juice almost as much as coffee.....
Is it common for people with mental illness to smoke? Most of my family smoke tobacco & most of them suffer from some form of mental illness....

Yours Sincerely,

Simon
Old 04-07-2007, 01:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I drink lots of coffee and smoke. I think it has a lot to do with my PTSD and self medicating. The coffee and nicotine do something for me. I'm not sure what though. I think I've heard that cutting the coffee off after 5:00pm and cutting the nicotine off 2 hours before bedtime helps with insomnia.

I'm very addicted to coffee and nicotine. I've never had a problem with alcohol or any other drug.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thankyou, Morning Glory, for your feedback....it is good to know that I'm not alone with these addictions...
I will try to take your advice & cut back on the coffee & cigarettes before bedtime....
Thanks for posting too, Morning Glory, as there haven't been many people posting today & I find I get even more anxious & depressed on public holidays & weekends, when I am mentally ill.....
I've been doing a vigil on the anxiety forum all day today, as well as early this morning, as I find that helping others, helps get my mind off myself & my own illness....
God Bless,
Old 04-07-2007, 06:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

I quit smoking about a month ago, thank God!, but, I now drink twice the coffee. Thats a lot of coffee too. If I have to look at it realisticly, its like needing the extra buzz I don't get from nicotine anymore. How silly, huh? Well, I have noticed that going to sleep is nearly impossible.
I was discussing this with a few friends. Tomorrow I will get decaf!
I do feel much better since quitting, and it really wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I smoked for 35 years too.
Hope it gets better for you.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Wascally Wabbit for your post,

I've only smoked for about 17 years, as I only began to smoke heavy, when I was in my early twenties, I'm 39 now & turn 40 in August......
I would like to quit the habit of cigarettes before I turn 40....but I'm not going to put pressure on myself at this difficult time of illness.....
I will consider giving up when I am mentally stable....& no longer suffering from anxiety/depression....

P.S. Thanks for the feedback Wabbit & keep up the good work & I hope you can stay off cigarettes for good....All the best, Wascally Wabbit....

God Bless,