Elder's Meditation - January 2

Old 01-02-2007, 03:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Elder's Meditation - January 2

"People have to be responsible for their thoughts, so they have to learn to control them. It may not be easy, but it can be done."
--Rolling Thunder, CHEROKEE

WE control our thoughts by controlling our self talk. At any moment we choose we can talk to ourselves differently. The fight comes with the emotions that are attached to our thoughts. If our emotion is high and seems to be out of control, we can say to ourselves STOP IT!, take a few deep breaths, then ask the Creator for the right thought or the right decision or the right action. If we practice this for a while, our thought life will be different. It helps if in the morning we ask God to direct our thinking. God loves to help us.

Great Spirit, today, direct my thinking so my choices are chosen by You.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

The Big Book of AA tells us that although we may not be able to control what thoughts come to us, we have the choice of whether or not to "entertain" the thoughts.

Recovery has taught me that negative thoughts will take me down a dead-end street, but not if I take a mental u-turn and get my mind back to some place that is healthier and filled with light.

Hugs