Notices

What mental illness is this?

Old 12-15-2006, 11:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recovering Nicely

What mental illness is this?

Hi All,
I have a long post with a quick question. An xclose friend of the family, J, my daughter's godmother has some kind of mental issue that I can't put my finger on My daughter rents an apt. from her, so I'd like to know your take on it.

J was married to a guy who worked two full time jobs 7 days a week for 20 years. Instead of letting him sleep when he got home, J would make him clean the house top to bottom (she worked part time and didn't clean a thing). He would then be allowed to sleep in the living room (never the bedroom) for about an hour or two before going back to work. He was not allowed to eat the food her and her two children ate, he could only eat noodles and butter (and he was a 400 pound diabetic), but when she cooked for her and the kids, he had to wash all the dishes by hand (she had no dishwasher). She never paid rent and when her parents gave her the house, she never made a mortgage payment in over three years. The house went into foreclosure. She used all of her husband's money from his two jobs to spend on whatever she wanted whenever she wanted. She never paid any bills (and mortgaged her house that her parents gave her free and clear to $320,000.00). Anyway, her brother bailed her out of foreclosure and her husband died in April (he fell asleep at the wheel of the car). Before he was even dead, she had all the life insurance policies out waiting for him to die so she could cash them in. When he died, she made me take her to his job immediately after to get his paycheck "before they realized he was dead" (her words) and then to cash it. She got alot of money from his death, which she proceeds to spend very freely. May I also add, she was (and still is) having a lesbian affair with a woman who has a criminal record at the time her husband died. She was not with her husband when the call came (he never made it out of surgery), instead she was at her lover's house with the cellphone off while her two daughters (aged 20 and 12) were at home alone overnight. Anyway, now she has a dishwasher, cleaning lady, etc., yet she goes to a therapist every week for grief therapy. She tells me her therapist told her that her (J) and her husband were best friends and soul mates, and that she is a grieving widow and that even though they didn't have sex, they loved each other deeply.
Now J, who is my daughter's landlady, takes all my daughters things. I gave my daughter a certain brand of towels. J took them and put them in her linnen closet. When I told her I knew it was my daughter's by the brand, next time J cut off the tags so I had no proof. Now J locks them up in the linen closet. My grandaughter said she saw a drawer in J's room with all my daughter's stuff in it (like dish soap, etc.). Also, J's lesbian lover is very violent and threw lit cigarettes at my daughter and called CPS on her after my daughter called the police on her for assault. Now J is following the same way, she is starting to threaten my daughter if my daugther questions why she is in her apt. or if she sees J taking her stuff. What is your take on what is wrong with this person. Also, J's oldest daughter is asthmatic, two years ago J took her to Denver to find out how she could treat it (daughter is in and out of hospital every month). Daughther had vocal cord dysfunction and was supposed to get voice therapy - instead J didn't get it and they look forward to the monthly hospital stay. Drs. don't even want to treat daughter anymore because daughter (20) overmedicates herself. J loves telling everyone her problems and playing grieving widow, and I seriously don't know how to classify her. I feel like calling the center where she gets therapy and telling them there's alot going on behind the scenes. Is she a sociopath? Has anyone ever ran into someone like this. Thanks for your input and letting me vent. Sorry so long.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

i'll have to come back and read through this when I have more time (my tummy's growling...gggrrrrr)

....cheers and welcome to SR and the MH forum!
Old 12-15-2006, 09:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

sounds similar to sociopathic behavor, but i'm not doc or anything close.

Instead of trying to figure out what is or isn't wrong with J....I would focus on getting your daughter out of J's rental apartment and away from her in general. No need to keep putting up with other people's crap. We have to live healthy lives by getting out of bad situations and away from toxic people as quickly as possible.

Knowledge of a diagnosis won't change this woman...so really all you guys can do is stay far, far away from her and whatever she chooses to do in her life.

Hugs,
Jenna