Notices

80 Year Old w/ Bi-Polar

Old 12-07-2006, 01:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

80 Year Old w/ Bi-Polar

My wife's grandmother will be 80 tomorrow and has been an emotional drain on her family for years. She goes through severe mood swings where she is happy and might say good things to or about something then 2 days later be very bitter and have no recollection of any of it. My first impression was that perhaps she had some disorder but it was intensified by her becoming more senile. But, evidentally she has been the same way for 50 years. At that age, it is impossible to expect her to open to trying medications even if we did get her to agree to see an expert. Its a terrible cycle that my wifes parents go through. Since they live on a farm that the grandmother owns, they are constantly threatened by her as she claims she will give the farm to the state when she dies in a land grant. My father-in-law has heart problems, has had a stroke and cancer twice. So, he is in no position to just walk away. Does anyone have any experience with anything like this? I could certainly use some advice. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

Wow, I can really feel for ur situation. I cared for an ailing Grandmother until her death. As a nurse if you don't mind I will ask a couple questions, does she have any copd (breathing problems). Lack of oxygen can cause dementia like symptoms. More likely this is just a control issue. She obviously likes to lord this property over their heads. You could anonymously call the office of the aging and a visiting nurse will call. If she is being this difficult and u suspect bipolar disorder or dementia she may require care. How independent is she? Good luck, I was ran through the ringer with my Gram though I miss her terrible. Take Care!!
Old 12-07-2006, 04:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Read over the forums Friends and family of...
The Anon skills work wonders. My MIL could be the same from time to time and by looking at her moods as if they were drug or alcohol caused issues, I was able to get through the day. Some days were tough but all days I made it through. Just realizing why and where her mood swings could be coming from, I was able to accept or side step 99% of it.
the 1%... I would go away for a weekend or out to dinner then come home with a icecream sunday for her. Icecream with chocolate calms the wild beast *LOL*
A bribe? maybe but for $2 and it worked...it was well worth it *LOL*
Old 12-12-2006, 10:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

If she is actually losing her reasoning and mental faculties and experiencing senile dementia, she can be declared incompetent and placed under the care of professionals.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by reader View Post
Wow, I can really feel for ur situation. I cared for an ailing Grandmother until her death. As a nurse if you don't mind I will ask a couple questions, does she have any copd (breathing problems). Lack of oxygen can cause dementia like symptoms. More likely this is just a control issue. She obviously likes to lord this property over their heads. You could anonymously call the office of the aging and a visiting nurse will call. If she is being this difficult and u suspect bipolar disorder or dementia she may require care. How independent is she? Good luck, I was ran through the ringer with my Gram though I miss her terrible. Take Care!!

Thanks for your response. Sorry for the delay in replying. She is very independent for her age. The only health issue was cancer a few years back that she takes chemo pills for on occasion but other than that, she is ok. She still drives a good bit and has minimal mobility issues. Most people dont realize how she can be from time to time. She puts up a very convincing front, so I have my doubts that there is anything that the state could do.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by robina View Post
If she is actually losing her reasoning and mental faculties and experiencing senile dementia, she can be declared incompetent and placed under the care of professionals.
Unfortunately, she has been this way for years and like a switch, she can go from being a total bitch to being as cordial as ever. So, my guess is if the DHS sent someone out, she would be on her best behavior.