Notices

Which A/Ds have anxiety properties

Old 10-27-2006, 04:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Which A/Ds have anxiety properties

My husband recently started on Prozac. His depression is 100% situational, but he is having mini panic attacks and generalized anxiety. I'm not sure Prozac is the right choice for him. I have taken A/Ds in the past that my doctor said helped with anxiety, and dor thelife of me I can't remember which ones they were.

Any help?
Old 10-27-2006, 08:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

He needs to tell his doctor about the anxiety attacks he is having. How long has he been on Prozac? I think Zoloft is good for anxiety stuff. Good luck and hope he feels better soon.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have anxiety and panic attacks and have tried several meds.
Prozac, zoloft, lexapro, effexor...
They all helped with anxiety, but I had to stop due to other side effects. The effexor seemed to increase my anxiety at first but it went away after awhile.

My pdoc said to stay away from BuSpar and Wellbutrin because those can increase panic attacks. I also discovered that caffeine and antidepressants don't always mix so if your husband drinks a lot of coffee, he might want to cut back.

It might take some trial and error but I hope he finds something!
Old 10-27-2006, 03:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I do remember feeling incrased anxiety one time when my doctor put me on wellbutrin. I did not stay on that drug, it did not work for me.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi ccigirl,

Of ALL the modern ADs, fluoxetine is the most engerzing, or stimulating. For some ppl, this is a bonus side-effect, much like the sedating properties of the older ADs were and are. Other than that however, there is no one antidepressant specifically tailored to decrease anxiety; most usually have this effect as part of the overall mechanism of action by which it improves the affective mood disorder (depression).

Zoloft also does have a fantastic reputation for both efficacy against depression and very low report of undesirable anxiety. I was on it for 10 years and I still give that stuff a big thumbs up.

=-=-=-=-=

Hoobie, you really need to double-check that info with your doc about BuSpar being bad for anxiety or panic. The stuff is marketed FOR the treatment of anxiety (it is almost entirely ineffective, but that is entirely another discussion ).

TenChips
Old 10-28-2006, 04:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

OK, I screwed up the Thanks button. Thanks everyone for your advice.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hmmm some ppl get sleepy on Prozac, it depends on the person taking 'em really, everybody reacts differently.

Marte
Old 10-30-2006, 05:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi BSPGirl

This is true, but the SSRIs & SNRIs do have differing distinguishing properties and I was trying to answer to ccgirl's question about her husband and Prozac. While exceptions exist just like you said, it is well-accepted that fluoxetine is more known for causing 1) anxiety 2) sleeplessness) 3) weight loss.

Conversely, sertraline has some of the lowest incidences of those side effects of any AD out there.

-TCD-