Notices

Perspective

Old 10-25-2006, 11:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Perspective

Last night here at the VA Hospital, I went to the gym to do some housekeeping. There were a group of 6 guys playing basketball. This wouldn't be eye catching, except for one picture. I looked towards the benches. Lined up were various sizes of legs, some still in the pant legs. They were wheel chair bound veterans. Let me tell you, I was in awe, watching them. They were great players and also showed the same competitiveness normal guys would have. Banging wheel chairs, pushing etc. I talked to some of them. I explained how impressed I was. I went on to say that I'd probably drink myself silly being in the same position. Many said to me " Most of us tried that. It got old fast. Then we had to move on." I took my tired legs, attached, and in my pants smiled and happily got to work.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Don)))

What a great story ... those guys are amazing and so are you
Old 10-27-2006, 04:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ah God... Now there's a whole subject area I could go on about. Not just gratitude but the ability to spot the times when it should be savored.

I know that I, every time I see someone so obviously less fortunate than myself, habitually stand back in my mind do a quick inventory. The inner dialogue usually goes something like this:

"Well John, here you are depressed, for some god-only-knows kind of reason. But here's a person on a crutch getting off a city bus who can barely walk let alone get around like you do and while there is no smile on her face, she is doing something very inspirational right here: Gettin' on with life."

I always--no, I mean ALWAYS--come away feeling as though I should do no less.