Notices

New here and feeling anxious

Old 10-03-2006, 05:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here and feeling anxious

I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Joanne and I suffer from generalized anxiety. It seems my mind is always searching for something to worry about and sometimes the issues are very silly but in my mind I make them very big. Most of the time, I could control it however lately it is not so easy. I have a problem with alcohol so I quit drinking 2 weeks ago. I was not a daily drinker but once every few months I would binge drink and have complete blackouts, not to mention make a complete jackass out of myself. The rest of the time I would have a few here and there but would want more (deep down).

I have 2 young boys.. One is almost 3 and the other is 17 months. How do you control your anxiety. Will I have to resort to meds? I would appreciate your stories or any advice you have. Thanks so much for listening.
Joanne
Old 10-03-2006, 06:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks Ron,

I am sure the fact that I quit drinking has for sure increased my anxiety. I have suffered with generalized anxiety for many years which probably caused my drinking in the first place. I hate feeling anxious.
Congrats on being sober.
JOanne
Old 10-04-2006, 03:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Years ago when I first started suffering from anxiety, I went to a psychologist who specialized in anxiety/OCD disorders. He used a cognitive/behavioral approach. I had a specific issue, but we dealt with it, and while I still have general anxiety, I'm sure if we had worked on that, it would have helped. He also had a support group that met once a month.

Maybe there's something in your area.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been diagnosed with both generalized and social anxiety disorder. I was self medicating with alcohol for years which eventually only made it worse. I started a treatment program in June and was put on Zoloft. It's like a miracle drug for me. My anxiety is now practically non-exsistant.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your responses. I so appreciate the advice and support. I used to see a psychologist that did cognitive therapy with me and that helped alot. Maybe I will start seeing her again since I am covered, doesn't cost me nothing. I also started running again which really helps. I am a bit scared of meds. My mom and alot of people I know have been on meds forever and it seems like it is hard to stop once you start although I know it is extremely helpful for some and sometimes I think about it for myself.
Joanne