Notices

Why do I have to suffer because I'm alcoholic??

Old 07-18-2017, 10:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Regardless of the AA debate, talk to a psychiatrist. I also thought I couldn't take anything for anxiety because they are addictive, and I was very angry about that. But my psychiatrist prescribed me some non-addictive anxiety meds that have changed my life. Benzos aren't the only option. I hope you feel better!
Old 07-19-2017, 10:39 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Briar View Post
Regardless of the AA debate, talk to a psychiatrist. I also thought I couldn't take anything for anxiety because they are addictive, and I was very angry about that. But my psychiatrist prescribed me some non-addictive anxiety meds that have changed my life. Benzos aren't the only option. I hope you feel better!
That's what I did, and my anxiety went away.

As did my depression.

Ditto for many years of chronic alcoholism and drug addiction.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by khendal46 View Post
I just don't get it. I have daily panic attacks due to social anxiety. I never go out and meet new people because of my severe social anxiety. I have multiple panic attacks at work where I start sweating, shaking, and can't control my thoughts; it is SO embarrassing I sometimes have suicidal thoughts because of it. I cannot maintain friendships because my anxiety keeps me locked in the house some days.
This sounds delibitating and not totally surprising in context of having been free from alcohol for a month
Sobriety is more than abstaining, it's learning how to live a new lifestyle which is more suited to maintaining a healthy mind, body and spirit.
As others may say "take what works and leave the rest" - applicable in many situations including others' opinions and judgements!
Old 10-05-2017, 04:39 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by khendal46 View Post
I just don't get it. I have daily panic attacks due to social anxiety. I never go out and meet new people because of my severe social anxiety. I have multiple panic attacks at work where I start sweating, shaking, and can't control my thoughts; it is SO embarrassing I sometimes have suicidal thoughts because of it. I cannot maintain friendships because my anxiety keeps me locked in the house some days.
I have been sober a little over a month. I have a sponsor and go to AA meetings. But I am just supposed to suffer through this??? I am doomed to have a life where I can't take any medications to help with my anxiety because of the chance that I might abuse them or "because I won't be truly sober". If I get an injury, I have to be in constant pain because I am not allowed to take anything that "changes the way I feel". AA states that they have "no opinion on outside issues" and "[they] are not doctors", but the AA doctrine and opinions from most members sure points to the contrary!! I don't freaking get it!!
I'm being treated for mild aniety right now and also attend AA. I probably won't share with my friends in AA any medications that I may be taking. Although I know (many) there who are also on meds.

Remember -- people in AA do not need to know everything about us.

M-Bob
Old 10-08-2017, 11:10 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

My situational anxiety (fear of being in large meetings and groups and driving at night and on interstates) and panic attacks slowly receded after I got sober.

Now, I routinely speak in large meetings, conduct them, go to court, etc. and I drive all over the Southeast anytime I want.

I feel like I was born with a steering wheel in my hands.

But I had to get professional help with the GAD, and I did and it has worked ever since (around 18 years now).