Notices

Doctor Shopping

Old 04-14-2015, 10:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Doctor Shopping

My friend was discharged by his doctors and pharmacies. He was accused of doctor shopping the past few months for Xanax. He moved from one city, to another, to another, over the past 7 months. Due to this, his doctor obviously changed. At first he was just going to urgent cares because it was "non-opiate" which was stupid. All together he saw 7 doctors in 8 months. I believe he filled as many as 3 doctors a month, but that was once or twice. It was usually two. He has had very bad anxiety and panic attacks. He found out his girlfriend was pregnant and he lost his job. He actually had a panick attack and passed out while driving and totaled his car. Went to the ER and got a CT scan but everything was negative. Now he's even more stressed out because he's afraid he's going to be arrested. He has never been in trouble before. He decided to stop taking them and it's been 2wks since his last fill. He said he's going to stop taking everything and not see any doctors or fill anything and just hope he doesn't get arrested. He spoke to a few doctors and pharmacies and it seems like they weren't pleased, they discharged him, but they do know he is actually suffering with awful anxiety and panick attacks. It seems like a pharmacy caught on and called all the other pharmacies and all the doctors. It's been a week now and I can tell the stress is eating him alive. He was already borderline suicidal, but now with this I'm really worried.

Do you guys think he's going to get in legal trouble? Would they come arrest him or contact him via phone/mail? Is there anything he can do that looks good just in case?
Old 04-15-2015, 05:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would suggest your friend speak with a qualified attorney.

Most first appointments are free.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dear Thronesfan7,
I'm a bit confused with your post...did he forge or alter a Rx? Or rob a pharmacy or take the Drs. Rx pad?
As far as I know, (I'm a nurse, working in Urgent care) Dr. shopping is not a felony or
something that's illegal. It's just not a smart thing to do.
What will most likely happen is the Drs and pharmacies will flag him as a frequent flyer...
and it's their right to dismiss him/her from their practice. He might find himself in a situation where NOBODY will see him except the ER.
Tell your friend and you to relax, he's not going to prision for Dr. shopping. But he is hurting himself. He is labeled now, by his own doing, and must regain the Drs. trust before he will be treated or get prescribed meds, especially benzos.
Many times I've seen frequent patients asking for the same meds. This is 2015, Drs have electronic access to a patients records from other providers. Chain pharmacies have similar records.
I think IMO, it's best to be honest with your Dr. He's there to help you. But it's also his right to refuse to treat you if he has evidence that you are being dishonest.
Best of luck to your friend in getting the help he needs, the honest way.
TF
Old 04-17-2015, 08:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't know anything about Dr. Shopping and the law, but I do know what it's like to be addicted to Xanax, to run out early and be compelled to go to an ER or urgent care to get my hands on a few more til I can go to my reg psych doctor again. I also know what it's like to cold turkey off of it. It was Hell on Earth, let me tell ya! I had the worst anxiety and panic attacks I ever had in my life. They were so bad I couldn't breath! I was certain I was losing my mind too. Many Many symptoms that resemble severe mental illness...delusions and hallucinations.
Xanax withdrawal is nothing to mess with. It's dangerous and should be done under a physicians care. I hope your friend can find a doctor he can be honest with that will ease him off the Xanax. But if he's been off for over a week, then he may be better off staying off and not getting back on. Either way, he should be under a Doctor's care.