Notices

Citrol (Citalopram)

Old 06-27-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Citrol (Citalopram)

I have been prescribed citrol for anxiety - anyone have any experiences of it?
Old 06-28-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No; I am sorry- I've never even heard of it. Hopefully someone will come along here and have some experience to offer you. I wish you the best.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

It's commonly known as Celexa in North America...Citalopram is the generic name.

I've been on it -- I think it helps a lot.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies guys, ive been on it 3 days now so i guess it will take time to work. I have just heard from a lot of people that they can be quite hard to come off. My doc is prescribing them for between 6 and 18 months so was just curious as to what lies ahead!

Thanks
Old 06-29-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am on citalopram now, and have been on it twice before. This time it's probably going to be for 2+ years. I take it for depression, but it helps enormously with my anxiety too. I have had no bad experiences coming off it, can feel a little wierd on and off for a few days (a bit like tiny, painless electric shocks when I walk - sort of juddery - very hard to explain!) but nothing other than that , and here you generally taper the dose when coming off them. Everyone's experiences are different though - if you are worried aboiut it perhaps discuss with your doc?
Old 06-29-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Jen, i spoke to her about it and she said i will be tapered off after 6-18 months and not to worry about withdrawl. Glad to hear you are doing well on it
Old 07-03-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sarge

I just started taking these meds this morning, Kinda jittery after the first 10mg dose. I am quitting drinking as well because I refuse to take pills with alcohol. I am hoping that I will be one of the hundreds of success stories I have read about. We will see what happens. Good luck to you all.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It stops you having painful lows, it makes you contented. I got very lethargic on my days off though, being on 40mg.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sarge the first dose is the worst,I was so disconnected. I stopped after a week the first time, went back on again later for a year. I dont think i could have held down my job without it.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sarge

Day two of not drinking and taking celexa, Having some jitters, anxiety and tired but I am doing good other than that. I decided to stay in today (Independence day) that way I wouldn't be tempted to drink. I KNOW I can do this! Thanks for reading.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I attribute alot to citalopram for keeping me off the drink. Going from drinking everyday for 6 years to a year sober was surprisingly easy. It just keeps you from hitting bottom where you HAVE to have a beer (or 10)
Old 07-05-2012, 09:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sarge

Originally Posted by Will2011 View Post
I attribute alot to citalopram for keeping me off the drink. Going from drinking everyday for 6 years to a year sober was surprisingly easy. It just keeps you from hitting bottom where you HAVE to have a beer (or 10)
Yeah I started day 3 of not drinking and I am doing decent. Also day 3 of the pills 10mg. The first day on the pills were just jitters and some anxiety. Day two was fine until I woke up from a nap and my anxiety was HIGH! But I was able to sleep easier on night two. I just took my third dose a hr ago and I am hoping today will be better. I just don't know if some side effects are from stopping drinking or the pills....guess that's what I get for starting both at once. But I knew I wouldn't quit drinking unless I had pills in me, because I refuse to drink on pills. (my mom died that way) I will post again later on with how I am feeling. Thanks for listening.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sarge

Tomorrow is my last day taking 10mg then I start the regular 20mg a day dose. Most of the jitters and anxiety side effects have gone away. Can anyone tell me how they felt going from 10-20 mg? I am feeling a little better with life on the 10. Am I going to get a whole new batch of side effects jumping up to 20mg? Thanks for your time. 7 DAYS SOBER!!!!

-Sarge
Old 07-09-2012, 08:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Sarge, I've been on it for about 8 months. I was on 10mg for about 1 month and then moved up to 20 mg, where I am today. I was still drinking when I started, but stopped the drinking 4 months ago. The main side effect for me was being lethargic, craving carbs, and some sweating, but most of that has gone away. Side effects are different for everyone.

Hang in there, it usually takes a few weeks for things to stabilize so give it some time. It has cut my anxiety down by 80% so for me it is a miracle. Today, I generally feel flat, no major highs and lows, and a general feeling of being ok with life. If I do feel anxiety, I am able to deal with it rationally and it goes away in a few minutes if I do something about it (deep breathing, call someone, walk around the block, etc).

Good luck!
Old 07-26-2012, 01:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was on Celexa and was tapered off because I didn't like the lethargic feeling but then again recently I have been thinking about going back on it, so it must have worked. The only issue I had is the tapering off part. I started to get lighting zap headaches that were really odd and intrusive. When they happened it was like someone hit reset on my brain and I was zapped out for a split second and it happened often, several times a minute. There is little research but I wasn't the only one to get them.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

i understand about the reseting the brain. i got a split second 'visual shift' where my picture of the world would readjust slightly to one side. This would be accompanied at the same time with a throb sensation. It was up to every 20 seconds and would take you off guard, youd need to refocus again. Sometimes the throb sensation in the brain would translate to a shudder down the legs like an electric currant. Id get throbbing in the ear and increased tinnitus too, and sometimes faint visual vibrations.

I went back on because feeling lethargic is better than being depressed!
Old 08-31-2012, 12:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I've been on Celexa for about a year. It's been a lifesaver, prevented me from having some debilitating lows. I'm on 40mg.