Notices

Advise

Old 03-22-2018, 02:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advise

How to stop thinking about alcohol and accept that your girlfriend and family drinks. I think it will be hard for me to see them drinking but again I can't tell them to stop. I used to have a drug problem really bad and then went sober for more then a year but kept drinking and decided to stop since it made me think so much about drugs and alcohol is a drug too. Any advise will be apreciated thanks
Old 03-22-2018, 03:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome!

100% sobriety is the only way for me. If you are bothered by someone else's drinking, there is plenty of support available. But it is most important that you are sober first!
Old 03-22-2018, 03:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I'm around drinkers all the time. It doesn't trigger me to drink. I love sobriety and far prefer it to the alternative, I do not miss alcohol at all.

I concentrate on how great I feel since I stopped drinking, and how much better my life, health, mood and outlook are.

If I did find that a significant other and their family was a trigger, I'd seriously consider leaving them if I couldn't work through it.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with Mindful Man, try focusing on the positive reasons you're sober instead of dwelling on the idea that you're being deprived of alcohol. I just finished This Naked Brain by Annie Grace, it has some really good content on this. I recommend that you take a look at it.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Yeah...I take the carrot and stick approach.

Carrot - I'm clear headed all the time, no more hangovers and headaches, I'm accountable, happier, more trusting and trustworthy...etc etc etc

Stick - Remember that time that you drove on the wrong side of a divided road in a near blackout? How about the time you woke up and you'd peed in the bed? When your friend came over to go out to dinner and you barely recognized her...after 25 years of knowing her? How about the time you went to a Black Mass at 3am at some rando house in SM to score some rock? etc etc etc
Old 03-22-2018, 06:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi and welcome aloaiza88
whats different now as opposed to the 12 months you stayed sober before?

D