Notices

I'm scared to try to stop drinking

Old 07-09-2001, 07:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
rcarnright

Post I'm scared to try to stop drinking

I've been drinking for 28 years. I have no choice but to stop now. I am going to make a commitment to my wife, kids and myself, but I'm so terrified that I will not be able to stay off the booze. I am destroying my marriage, it is affected my job performance and controls my entire life. I am going to my first AA meeting tonight. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to make this work???

Thanks and please wish me luck

Old 07-09-2001, 07:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

Hey rc,
You're starting off right....goin to AA, that's a very good place to start. When I first walked thru the doors of AA, my biggest question was what I was going to do with all the time, if I wasn't drinking or using.....well, there's lots of stuff to do, as you will very soon see.

The AA meeting is a very good start, and from that there is the AA literature -- the Big Book, the 12X12, and the daily meditation books -- and getting a sponsor to help you work the steps.....now thats's the program, and that's how it works: Honesty, Openmindedness, and Willingness....a very good place to start.

I wish you all the luck in the world, and you, and your family, will be in my prayers; there's always room for more in this AA/NA family of ours.....WELCOME, WELCOME, WELCOME.

Love & Light,
Noelle
15+ years
all ODAAT
Old 07-09-2001, 08:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
rcarnright

Noelle,

Thanks for your reply and support....I know for sure I have to do this!!!!! I will make it work.

Old 07-09-2001, 09:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Lisa1

rc, well by now you have attended your first meeting. How did it go? It sounds to me that you will have a great deal of support thru your family. They obviously care a lot about you or they wouldn't still be there. I would suggest strongly that you get into a treatment facility to help you. You said you have been drinking for a long time and they will be able to help you. I know when I finally quit drinking I went thru the withdrawls. I know you have the signs, your hands will shake before you can have that first drink, its sometimes hard to write and when you haven't drank for the day you notice your speeh is different, possibly slower. Our disease eats away at us, your health is probably not the greatest. In treatment they can help you get get healthy and teach you to stop. A lot of this is thru support and you wanting to stop. Keep going to meetings, look into possibly a 30 or even 60 day treatment program. Take care of yourself and your family, I wish you nothing but the best. Let your wife know she can feel free to email me as well if she has questions or concerns or maybe just to let it out.

------------------
Lisa1

Old 07-10-2001, 03:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

Hey rc,

You said 'you have to do this' and you 'will make it work' -- I hate to tell you, but you've gotta set this attitude aside. AA/NA isn't for folks who need it, but for those who want it.....for themselves....working the program, the steps, we come to realize that God (or whatever your HP is) starts doing all these things for us....as long as we surrender.

Out of surrender comes VICTORY!!!!!

Luv Y'all,
Noelle