Notices

Approaching the doctor

Old 02-03-2016, 10:18 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Well, since I actually felt sleepy and not anxious, I rolled with it and went back to bed without another drink. Just got back up to use the bathroom and found that, 10 hours after my last drink, I barely have any visible symptoms. Now I'm just trying to remind myself that my high blood pressure and fairly high pulse are still an issue, and that the detox program is about more than just withdrawal symptoms.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:01 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

You've still been drinking quite a lot, right? I'd go with celebrating that the symptoms are easing up and definitely keep on the path you are on. Sounds like being careful with your intake and balancing that with watching your physical responses is paying off.

Stay the course, man.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:23 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

You're doing great.

On day 34, I have to keep reminding myself that my moods and emotions aren't accurate these days as my brain and body are adjusting to a huge biochemical change. So being up and down and over the edge and frantic and serene and homicidal and giddy...all in the same ten minutes...isn't really me, it's addiction being replaced by health.

But oy the brain fog. I put four loaves of bread in the oven, forgot they were there, wandered by later and saw the oven was on...and turned it off. Found the ruined bread the next day. And I keep putting things in the refrigerator...like paper towel rolls. WTH?

You're being really smart to geta medical detox with hypertension and arrhythmia. Both of those are directly affected by alcohol, so you will probably see big improvements pretty quickly once you're detoxed.

Hang in there...the dawn is coming!
Old 02-04-2016, 08:35 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Still no call back, so it looks like another day with no luck. Been about ten hours since my last drink now, and no symptoms presently. Blood pressure slightly higher than my normal (135/90 as opposed to my normal lately of 130/85), heart rate at around 90. I'm going to keep monitoring and, if they don't call back, see how the rest of the day goes. At this point, assuming symptoms don't show up soon (earlier in the week it would have started hours ago), the only thing I'm worried about at all is potential blood pressure spikes.

I think I may have inadvertently weaned myself off by focusing on holding back symptoms while waiting for my bed in detox. I'm down from around 25 drinks in a day around peak, down to around 14 in the past 24 hours because I've only been having 2-3 drinks every 6-8 hours when I noticed my hands start to shake a little and then a few extra before bed. I haven't had the strong anxiety since Tuesday, and, like I said, I actually slept yesterday for hours, without being drunk. If I feel fine all day today, I may just ask about their outpatient treatments.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:39 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I just gave them a call and they confirmed that they haven't had an opening for me yet. I told the admissions rep about my lack of symptoms and she actually said that, if I didn't have symptoms (or wasn't drunk) when I arrived, that they wouldn't even be able to take me due to insurance. So we'll see how this plays out!
Old 02-04-2016, 09:56 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Originally Posted by UhZoomZip View Post
I just gave them a call and they confirmed that they haven't had an opening for me yet. I told the admissions rep about my lack of symptoms and she actually said that, if I didn't have symptoms (or wasn't drunk) when I arrived, that they wouldn't even be able to take me due to insurance. So we'll see how this plays out!

Please don't downplay your symptoms. Remember that it's very hard to get into detox. There are more people who need beds than there are beds, so they are LOOKING for reasons not to admit you. Please don't give them any.

You DO have symptoms!! Your BP and pulse are still high. And the only reason you're not shaking and sweating is because you're consuming 14 drinks/day which is WAY BEYOND a safe level!!!

You've come this far. Your symptoms are real and worrisome. You're still drinking at a dangerous level and as long as you're drinking at all, there's a high probability of 14 heading back up toward 25. You can't realistically expect to perform well in your new job drinking this way.

Bottom line: You still need the detox, so please don't punt for outpatient just yet. Just make sure you show up in a state that they will admit you.

If this sounds conniving, I apologize. Here in New York State/Onondaga County, getting into detox is a game where some win but most lose. I was coached on what to say and do in order to get admitted to inpatient detox. I went to the ER and there were no less than a dozen of us. Some were very drunk and disruptive, some barely conscious, one was a dopesick teenager in late pregnancy. Only two of us were admitted. Definitely don't tell them you're feeling better. Good luck!!!
Old 02-04-2016, 10:16 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I'm still on the fence, really. If they'd had a bed today, I was going to take it, I'm still packed.

My plan is to wait and see if the anxiety, shakes, etc come in the next several hours (it's been about twelve hours now, several days ago I wasn't able to hold a cup to my mouth after twelve hours), and if they do, then I'll drink some more and try again in the morning. If symptoms don't show up/worsen, I was thinking about resting and monitoring and looking into outpatient for next week.

I know how hard it is to get into detox, I have people helping me out and it's still taking days. I don't take that lightly.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:51 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

UhZoom I 'm sorry to hear you're having such a hold up getting into inpatient. I would just remind you that withdrawals are a funny thing and can show up 2 hours or 24 hours after a last drink. I agree with SoberinSyracuse, don't downplay your symptoms.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:09 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Well, the thing was gonna be that if they didn't have a bed for me until tomorrow morning, I'd be 24 hours sober by that point, and if I was asymptomatic, they wouldn't take me.

Only, they just called and I said: if they call today, I'm going today.

TTFN, tomorrow will be day one. Love you folks.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:32 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Alright UhZoom Good luck! Let us now how it goes if you can.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:42 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes UZZ

D
Old 02-05-2016, 08:54 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Uzz is quiet today. Hopefully got a bed?

Fingers crossed!!!!
Old 02-08-2016, 05:35 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

HE LIVES!

Yeah, I just got home from detox a few hours ago. I got my bed late in the day Thursday and checked in. I'm all set to do outpatient rehab a few nights a week for the next couple of weeks, and then I'm going to be doing 1:1 sessions, after that. Smart Recovery and beginner/early-step AA meetings when they fit in my new work schedule, and most likely guided meditation on weekend mornings.

Detox went really well. I should have had a couple more drinks Thursday because by the time I got checked-in at detox, my blood pressure was starting to rise and I started getting sick again . . . then again, that got them to send me right up to my room and start meds versus sitting in the waiting room all evening.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:40 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, and day four sober here. Doesn't feel like much since I've been dry much longer in very recent past, but now my focus is sobriety and recovery, so reminding myself that February 5th was the first day I had nothing to drink with the intention of not drinking any more.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:42 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

So great to get an update and such a positive one!

You are doing great. I hope you're proud of yourself!
Old 02-08-2016, 05:47 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

That's great UhZoom welcome back

Good to hear the detox went well. I recall you were on the fence about going in, glad they called! That can be the last time you ever deal with that.

Congrats on 4 days!
Old 02-08-2016, 06:29 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UhZoomZip View Post
HE LIVES!

Yeah, I just got home from detox a few hours ago. I got my bed late in the day Thursday and checked in. I'm all set to do outpatient rehab a few nights a week for the next couple of weeks, and then I'm going to be doing 1:1 sessions, after that. Smart Recovery and beginner/early-step AA meetings when they fit in my new work schedule, and most likely guided meditation on weekend mornings.

Detox went really well. I should have had a couple more drinks Thursday because by the time I got checked-in at detox, my blood pressure was starting to rise and I started getting sick again . . . then again, that got them to send me right up to my room and start meds versus sitting in the waiting room all evening.
Excellent news! You gonna be able to stay sober until your first IOP appointment/meeting?

You'll post here immediately if you have the first notion of drinking, right?
Old 02-08-2016, 08:14 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
now's the time

So glad to see you back and sober. It sounds like you're putting all the right things in motion. Congratulations! I hope you're proud, you really should be.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:23 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberinSyracuse View Post
Excellent news! You gonna be able to stay sober until your first IOP appointment/meeting?

You'll post here immediately if you have the first notion of drinking, right?
I'm not doing IOP, just half-time evenings, starting tomorrow, along with my initial meeting with my 1:1 counselor during the break, so I should hope so. I'm actually really good at not drinking once I stop, I just REALLY needed the help to stop safely this time. Now if I can build up the skills and coping mechanisms to deal with the really stressful times and the lonely times, I think I'll be set up for a lot of success.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:03 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Really, really great news Uzz.
I'm so glad I logged on to check the haps here at SR.
You made my night!

Be sure to keep us posted on your progress.