Notices

Gone dry and looking for help ...

Old 11-19-2015, 02:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gone dry and looking for help ...

Hello all. As the title says, I have quit alcohol and would like to talk with others who have done so. I'm not sure how to start ...

I am 37 years old right now. When I was in my early 20s, like a lot of people in my family, I drank heavily, but then quit thinking I'd just give it a break for a while. That turned into well over nine years of being sober. I just didn't need it in my life, so I didn't bother going back to the bottle.

Well, a few years back, I started drinking again. My job is intensely stressful at times and I almost always work very long hours, so it was in one of those periods I gave into temptation. At first it was relaxing and fun, then it became unhealthy, joyless, and increasingly the center of my thinking. It has not significantly impacted my career or social life because I tended to compartmentalize my drinking to the evening hours and weekends. My physical health, however, is in decline. I used to be fit, energetic, and, generally, happy. Now I'm out of shape, sluggish, look like a wreck, and am depressed. My wife is, understandably, concerned. My children are too little to understand, so I want to get this time of my life behind me before they are older.

So, it was time to quit. I stopped two days ago and I don't want to ever go back to it. I talked to one doctor, but she couldn't really help with these issues, so referred me to another. I need to make an appointment though, to be candid, I'm more than a little embarrassed to talk about this. But being healthy is more important than being embarrassed.

So, anyway, I suppose that is about it. I live in a rural area that doesn't have much in the way of medical facilities and the only people I have support from is pretty much my wife and the wee ones I love so much. I'm curious how others quit and, most importantly, stayed quit. I'm also curious of anyone used medications like Campral to aid in their recovery.

Thank you for your time.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Alphonse

you'll find a lot of support encouragement and good ideas here

Do follow up with that appointment - there's nothing to be embarrassed about - you've been sick and you want to get better, right?

D
Old 11-19-2015, 02:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for the warm welcome. I appreciate that.

Yes, I have been sick. I not only want to get better, I have to get better.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Alphonse.

It is great that you have a referral to a doctor who can offer assistance with recovery. Seeing that doctor would be a great first step.

Have a look around the site, giving special attention to the Stickies at the top of each forum - lots of great information there.

Glad you found us.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Well, a few years back, I started drinking again. My job is intensely stressful at times and I almost always work very long hours, so it was in one of those periods I gave into temptation. At first it was relaxing and fun, then it became unhealthy, joyless, and increasingly the center of my thinking. It has not significantly impacted my career or social life because I tended to compartmentalize my drinking to the evening hours and weekends. My physical health, however, is in decline. I used to be fit, energetic, and, generally, happy. Now I'm out of shape, sluggish, look like a wreck, and am depressed. My wife is, understandably, concerned. My children are too little to understand, so I want to get this time of my life behind me before they are older.
You need to print this out on labels an put it on every mirror you look at daily. You can do this.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Support? Won't find any better than from the members on this forum. Big WELCOME!
Old 11-19-2015, 04:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Alphonse, you have made a great decision, no need to be embarrassed, you are suffering from an illness like the rest of us.. It's the only illness when we get sick the cops are called instead of an ambulance... haha You'll be fine plug away at them GP,'s for some librium for a week or so until you get on your feet again.... Best of luck
Old 11-19-2015, 04:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 11-20-2015, 03:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the kind words of support. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You can do it, man. You're doing the right thing for your family. The first 4-5 days are the worst for physical cravings, then you may feel some effects from PAWS, but that will begin to diminish after a couple of weeks.

Make sure to eat well and get some light exercise to help you sleep. Post here frequently to let us know how you're doing, and if you need in person support, go to an AA meeting.

Good luck Alphonse.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Alphonse
Old 11-21-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Welcome, Alphonse! No need to be gloomy about this. You are going to lose nothing except that cheap alcohol high and make marvelous gains in health and well-being! Imagine how you are going to become fit again and full of energy to play with your little ones for decades to come and be the father you want to be.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Alphonse!!
Old 11-21-2015, 12:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You had nine years sober. Your story sounds just like me. I was sober for 18 years and started drinking due to stress. At first it was fun and relaxing - - but we all know the rest of the story.

So. You've quit again. Welcome to sobriety. Whatever you learned about how good life is sober in those nine years will start coming back to you quickly.

I'm coming up on 21 months this time around. Hang out with us - we so understand. This first couple weeks are going to be pretty uncomfortable for you I would think. There is plenty to read here all hours of the day and night.

Welcome. Keep talking to us - this is the place to get it all out.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
The hoop you have to jump through is a lot wider than you think!

I have been put on a medication to help at first not to help me quit drinking but to help my blood pressure. The best thing you can do right now is focus on sharing and listening to what other alcoholics are saying. One of the things that bothered me before I finally came to my senses was having to talk to another alcoholic as if they knew more than me that was my ego talking I love talking to people that share my ups and downs because we can balance each other out no matter what you read no matter what you here or if someone else on here is having a really bad day myself included look at it as similarities not differences we all have bad days but I guarantee after you're sober a while your bad days will start to disappear
Old 11-21-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
The hoop you have to jump through is a lot wider than you think!

How you feel right now is how you're supposed to feel because you're an alcoholic that's how we all felt there's no difference you're with your people
Old 11-21-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Alphonse-
You have come to the right place! There is much support and knowledge to help you through! Be sure to see the doctor and get any medical help you might need and then look through different forums to find the ones that interest you. Post and read a lot. We are all here!
Smiles!
Old 11-23-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you again to all that have replied. I can't describe how good it is to hear from others who have been here.

Well, I'm about at the week point. Curiously, I haven't had any real withdrawal symptoms yet, other than some very mild anxiety and difficulty getting to sleep a couple of nights. My color is coming back and I'm starting to feel a bit better physically. I have had zero desire to drink, though I'm a little concerned the cravings will come back. However, my mind is made up. This stuff is toxic to my body, mind, and soul, and cannot, and will not, have it in my life any more.

Beyond that, I'm using this time to fix other things (e.g., being more available for my family, more gym time, better nutrition, reconnecting with spiritual things, etc.). It isn't just enough to boot the bottle out of my life, I have to replace it with positive things and be a better human being. I have no doubt there will be bumps in the road, but this is the one I must travel now.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You are 100% correct! I didn't have withdrawal systems either, but I was really anxious waiting for them. My cravings have been ok, but yesterday was a tough one so be prepared for them to just pop up and have your plan ready!
Have a great day!
Old 11-23-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Alphonse, you sound incredibly positive and clear headed, way to go my man.