Notices

Looking for some information

Old 10-10-2015, 08:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking for some information

Do trained counselors/psychologists or the like give advice here? I have some specific questions that I'd like to ask them and since its the weekend and I cant call local ones I figured I'd try to pick someones brain on here.

Thanks
Old 10-10-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

im not sure if theres trained counselors/psychologists here or if they are allowed to give advise here, but theres a whooooole lottaa people with a whooole lot of experience with life on lifes terms that could very well give their opinions.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

As far as I know medical advice isn't given here but esh is
Old 10-10-2015, 09:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi bob !

I think,Rule #10 may answer your question.

Please don't let this deter you from using the forums, as tomsteve posted above, we have many members with lots of experience to share.

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hope you find answers. I know that no one can give professional advice on these forums, it's against forum rules. I agree with tomsteve, though. There is a depth of wisdom here from people who've been to the dark side and found their way out.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well I'll throw it out there anyway, maybe someone else does know the answer.

Can counselor or trained professional tell if someone is sober just by evaluating the person? I know they can use your history with alcohol to determine whether or not you have a problem but to do the opposite wouldn't they need more than just a talk?
Old 10-10-2015, 10:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bob8619 View Post
Well I'll throw it out there anyway, maybe someone else does know the answer.

Can counselor or trained professional tell if someone is sober just by evaluating the person? I know they can use your history with alcohol to determine whether or not you have a problem but to do the opposite wouldn't they need more than just a talk?
Opinions are not facts and good liars can even convince themselves at times. Training and experience I guess account for something. I know I've fooled a lot of well trained people in my life.
Not advice, just my experience.

Have a great day!
Old 10-10-2015, 10:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm not sure I understand your question. Is this you or someone you know? Since you usually post in Friends and Family I'm assuming it's someone else who has told you something...I wouldn't put a lot of credence in what an addict or alcoholic says about what a counselor "said." If you think he/she might be using, go with your gut and protect yourself accordingly.

I think the only way to be 100% sure is with a medical test (or breathalyzer in the case of alcohol.) There are certainly telltale signs if someone has had enough to be intoxicated.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I meant long term sobriety not just sober right now. It's for me, I have been sober for 3 years come October 15th. Few months ago I started to pursue a career in aviation but was grounded due to my past legal issues (mainly a dui in 2003). The FAA has requested I go get an evaluation to help them decide if I'm a risk or not.

In my mind the only thing an evaluator will be able to do is affirm the fact that I have a drinking problem. Other than mine and my family's word I'm not sure how they could conclude I'm on the straight and narrow.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bob8619 View Post
I meant long term sobriety not just sober right now. It's for me, I have been sober for 3 years come October 15th. Few months ago I started to pursue a career in aviation but was grounded due to my past legal issues (mainly a dui in 2003). The FAA has requested I go get an evaluation to help them decide if I'm a risk or not.

In my mind the only thing an evaluator will be able to do is affirm the fact that I have a drinking problem. Other than mine and my family's word I'm not sure how they could conclude I'm on the straight and narrow.
well, then, since youve been sober 3 years all the evaluator should be able to do is affirm you had a drinking problem that was addressed.
they will be able to conclude possibly by the answers and actions during eval.
just be honest.

and good on ya for 3 years!!!

howd ya do it?
Old 10-10-2015, 12:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks! I sure do hope that they can gather enough by an evaluation to make that sort of claim.

As for how I did it, I guess you could say I just finally felt enough pain to finally accept the fact that I cannot drink safely, and from there I just stopped.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I was an ameture anastegologist for years but I don't think that counts.

I would guess that a good professional evaluator will know if you are telling the truth but I would be 100% honest about my drinking and sobriety
Old 10-10-2015, 12:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
I was an ameture anastegologist for years but I don't think that counts

Old 10-13-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had my evaluation today. She wont have time to give her complete diagnosis til after the weekend but she didn't seem too pleased with me. I didnt hide anything as my goal isn't to hide the fact that I have a drinking problem but rather to show that I no longer drink. But since my 3 years of sobriety wasn't done in conjunction with AA (or the like) she basically said I'm just abstaining but not in recovery. Nothing like being told your sobriety doesn't count.

Initially it sends me into self-assess mode thinking I've been living a lie as a dry drunk. After more consideration I refuse to believe her take on that. It is by the Grace of God that I am where I am today, and that is no farce. I fully accept my drinking problem without shame but I take issue with the one size fits all method of recovery.

Just venting here. Feel free to give your thoughts if you feel the need.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never been to AA, or the like, and my sobriety's pretty good - 8 years and full steam ahead

If this goes awry I hope you have some kind of an appeals process, Bob?

D
Old 10-13-2015, 07:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yeah there is an appeal process and also a special issuance which would require being sponsored so to speak by a specialized aviation medical examiner. I guess that route requires "proof of sobriety" by attending AA 2x a week for total of 4 years as well as random drug tests. But if this evaluation comes back without any positive words about me I will simply not send it in and find another counselor that might be more accepting of my particular "method" of sobriety.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

But since my 3 years of sobriety wasn't done in conjunction with AA (or the like) she basically said I'm just abstaining but not in recovery.
I am soooo sorry to hear this, it is a real shame you are hearing this from someone who has this kind of authority and responsibility. What a load of hooey. Apparently she is not aware that most of us get sober permanently without recourse to formal recovery programs, and AA participation is no guarantee that you are sober either.

There is good discussion about this on some of the pilots of america forums. Try searching using those terms and AVRT. Good luck.

And congratulations on your choice of sobriety three years ago. That is awesome. Well done!
Old 10-13-2015, 07:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My husband, who is a air traffic controller had to go through evaluations and functional testing before returning to active duty. His evaluator was also not pleased with him (I chalk it up to them not truly understanding the disease and not seeing the person in front of them). Moral of story, RAH returned to work with no issues booze wise. Now his mental health? That's our newest issue. 😂 keep your chin up and appeal of needed.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Old 10-13-2015, 08:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the kind words.