Notices

Staying healthy

Old 10-09-2015, 10:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Staying healthy

I'm interested in what people have done to take care of themselves physically, mentally, spiritually and emotionally in sobriety.

I have been to counselling, and addressed some long term issues. I went to classes and learned how to meditate. Just in the past few months I've started attending Al-Anon to help find my peace with my home situation. And now, I'm doing some exercise and actually eating properly. I've put a stop to weekend working because my job became all-consuming and ensure I spend quality time with my family.

It is only recently that I've fully appreciated that I've just been swapping one addiction for another. I stopped smoking, drinking, being codependent in my relationship...then I got lost in a sugar addiction which made me physically unwell.

I have to stop myself from hurtling from one obsession to another frequently...that 'all or nothing' mentality again.

What healthy pastimes have you all taken up to promote well-being which haven't become obsessions in themselves?
Old 10-10-2015, 05:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yoga has been amazing for me.

I also have a great gym w/ free weight / bodyweight programming and cardio-interval training.

I eat a keto-paleo style diet w/ lots of veggies and healthy fats.
I hike regularly in the forest and plan to start kayaking this Fall

I am approaching the best shape of my life
Old 10-10-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

Since sobering up my get healthy journey has led me to a routine of running 50-70 miles a week rowing on my off days and a vegan diet. I have tossed in time to read various things for my mental well being and health. Running and meditation go together for me. Doing all this give me an over good well being. I take time to smell the roses and soak in the beauty of nature daily as well.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Running has worked well for me. It established a sense of daily routine, and of course, the exercise itself is so good for mental/emotional health. I run about 3 miles per day and that's enough for me.

I also go on daily dog walks, but that's more for the dogs. But I guess it counts for something Fresh air, sun, and any sort of exercise is going to help.

I also meditate, read, and write. Not sure how "healthy" those are, but they are spiritually rewarding, so it all seems to work well as a whole.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I bike 3 times a week, swim and light gym work on off days. I like easy hikes also. I'm 60 now and mainly trying to protect myself from any more joint damage, lol.. which I incurred when younger and running obsessively..

I second the opinion for yoga. It's wonderful, in several ways. Good for mindfulness, healthy joints, balance, etc. I do it when I can.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dog walks at the top of the mountain on heavily wooded trails and around lakes, long drives in the country getting to some of those places. I'm fully wound down and mentally adjusted by the time I get back and the walking part is good physical exercise.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

I started with seeing my Dr & being upfront & honest from there I done group therapy, AA, Reading recovery/spiritual books, I completed 2 short college courses, I exercise & recently in the last 3 months I'm receiving therapy for anxiety, depression & agoraphobia (extreme anxiety)

I journal, cook, clean, decorate, save up for stuff

Tomorrow me & my brother are going to see my mum at the cemetery & then were going for a few frames of snooker
Old 10-10-2015, 06:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I spent the day shopping with my Mum. We went to a garden centre and bought some roses for the garden and then out for lunch. I love these sorts of days. Simple and uncomplicated.

Living in gratitude and acceptance of 'what is' has really helped me mentally and spiritually.

And I'm off for a gym induction tomorrow in the hope that I can continue to straighten out physically. I put myself through so much when I was actively drinking and smoking and taking handfuls of diazepam, that I'm figuring it's going to have to take some time to put that right.

Giving up drinking really is just the beginning.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nice thread Jeni...I've been thinking about similar things as I begin sober year number two. This past year I've focused a lot on weight training in the gym. The structure of the workouts and associated diet have transformed my physical self and seeing the results reinforced my determination to stay sober. A few days ago the fitness website I use even posted my pic as a testimonial....at 49 years old I really got a kick out of that.

This next year I intend to be more aggressive in working on my emotional self and have been thinking about my approach. Finally, I'll say that through the years of drinking I became somewhat skeptical of, and drifted away from, the spiritual foundation of my youth. I do have an empty spot in my life in that area. My great desire is to come to terms with what Truths on which I'll base my life. I'm just not there yet.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've found that hiking in the woods or other natural place is very good for the spiritual well being.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
now's the time

I've been learning new professional skills. It's helpful for my career, but it's also helpful for my confidence and sense of being a useful person. And hopefully it'll lead to some new directions. The hope of that is a good and healthy thing.