Notices

Benzo taper new Dr

Old 05-05-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Benzo taper new Dr

Guys I am so nervous about this Dr appointment for benzo taper.

Sorry to repeat myself.

It's not for a couple weeks.

Just tell me it'll work out.

Even though it may not be true.

I am at my wit's end, anyone dealing with this knows what it's like.

Why are there so many insensitive doctors who won't listen? I am so scared of this happening again or that he won't take me as a client, or has the wrong motives focused only on money.

I am so incredibly anxious and scared.

Off to another ten hour shift at work.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It will work out sleepie. You may have had some bad experiences but doctors are there to help you. Just be honest...it will be OK.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Going to a doctor and getting help was a big thing for me. My GP was very matter of fact and in my opinion, a bit insensitive, but that's okay as I just needed medical information and from then on, I had a support network that I built up myself (AA, my local community addiction programme).

You are making a big change and this is exicting, it's nothing to dread. You're chaning your life and if you need benzos (which I hope you don't) then so be it, but whatever happens, this is a really cool opportunity for you and you can do it.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. Sorry I'm not thinking straight I forget to mention I am getting off benzos. No more.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sleepie, there are some caring, sensitive doctors out there, and hopefully you will find this new doctor is one of those. Believe in yourself and what you need to do this and you can get through it.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Thanks guys. Sorry I'm not thinking straight I forget to mention I am getting off benzos. No more.
Yep, we understand you are trying to get off benzos. It's tough but it's definitely doable. Make sure you are honest about that - and that your goal is to be done with them. Sometimes it helps if you can write it all down before you go -and share that with the doctor if you have difficulty sharing out loud initially.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's going to be ok Sleepie!! You can do this!!
Old 05-05-2015, 11:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Sleepie,

Things will be ok. There is life after benzo's and I am proof of that. I was a heavy heavy benzo user for a number of years. I have been off them for almost 2 years now and am so proud of myself for making it off. I had a few months of challenges coming off but am ok.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Guys I am so nervous about this Dr appointment for benzo taper.

Sorry to repeat myself.

It's not for a couple weeks.

Just tell me it'll work out.

Even though it may not be true.

I am at my wit's end, anyone dealing with this knows what it's like.

Why are there so many insensitive doctors who won't listen? I am so scared of this happening again or that he won't take me as a client, or has the wrong motives focused only on money.

I am so incredibly anxious and scared.

Off to another ten hour shift at work.
Yeah I've been told I'm normal and nothing to worry about (basicly get over myself)

I've also been told if i want /THOSE/ kinds of meds I better find a new doctor!

I did however have a friend of the family physician who told me to go to my GP and tell him whats going on and that he would more then likely prescribe this or that and I'd be ok and that this is just part of getting older and raising kids and having a family and that life is stressful it'll be ok get on a med he said etc.. It doesnt matter if i wanted too or not I got hit with the above upon mentioning to my GP.

I cant be certain in my case that meds are the answer. I've read too many folks having issues with them.

Hang in there sleepie I really hope this all eases up for you. One thing I've learned however along the way despite my struggles never seeming to ease up on my terms! is that they made me strong. Made me a better person. Made me more appreciative of life when its going well etc.. Made me appreciate the quiet and calm times even if they are only fleeting moments.

The lessons learned along the way are more important then the destination. But it sure can stink sometimes I get it!.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You describe the way I felt when I finally got help.

The benzoes amplified my anxiety and depression.

Once I finally got free of them and started working the AA program, I started feeling like a human being again.

I'll bet that you do, too.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I went through this twice before- first time was a disaster with relentless protracted withdrawals, second time successful (they did a much slower taper). So I hope this works. Thanks for the words guys.