Notices

What and when an alcoholic can drink safely

Old 01-22-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
p***enger

What and when an alcoholic can drink safely

I think:

"I could stick to wine, or beer" -- but since I don't particularly like either one, having one or the other would just make me angry and frustrated, and since I would by that time have already lost my sober sense, I'd just end up under a bottle of bourbon, anyway.

I think:

"I could limit myself to 1 drink before dinner." Which would spoil dinner, because at best I'd be wanting another, and at worst I'd have another and several more.

Or, "I could limit myself to one or two before bed." But the liquor would then be in the house, and even ignoring the fact that 2 would mean 6, it would be a matter of days before I wanted and took one or two to get out the door in the morning.

Or, "I could limit myself to a random shot on a random morning or a random binge once in a blue moon." But blue moons and random mornings would soon happen every day, all day. In for a penny, in for a pound was always sound logic to my drinking self.

Sometimes lately I try to think of a way to make drinking work for me again, I wish I didn't but I do. But I just can't come up with one. I can't even moderate my imagination!
Old 01-22-2015, 07:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's part of the addiction - I tried beer, I tried wine, I tried spirits...Eventually trhey all ended up the same way...Me very much not in control.

It took me many years and many ridiculous and/or dangerous situations, but I eventually accepted that alcohol and I were a toxic mix.

I'm glad to hear you can't mioderate your imagination Courage

whatever you want alcohol to do for you, there has to be a better healthier way of achieving that aim?

D
Old 01-22-2015, 07:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
when can a alcoholic can drink safely?
Soon as someone invents a time machine.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sometimes lately I try to think of a way to make drinking work for me again, I wish I didn't but I do. But I just can't come up with one. I can't even moderate my imagination!
Brilliant, courage. To me, this spells SUCCESS.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I stayed sober in AA for four years then relapsed the last two. It doesn't get better. I have a month now and I have an honest desire to stop drinking I'm just gonna take it a day at a time when I have cravings I pray so far it's got me threw some tuff days.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

whatever you want alcohol to do for you, there has to be a better healthier way of achieving that aim?
Yes indeed. I keep learning new ways to flush out the bugs in my brain!
Old 01-22-2015, 10:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is flawed thinking if youre an alcoholic...Jesus made wine. I use to say that when people would com0lain I would drink. Now i accept that i was born to not stop at one, i never had. first time i got drunk i drank champagne, however you spell it, was also only time i drank it. I was whatever age you were in 5th grade it was new years i liked the acceptance i got from the adults i ******* face planted in the yard. Nobody helped me then. Help now is a bit better being mature but its just crazy thinking.

play solitaire? its not that hard to set up. i think ive done like 20 games in the last few days i have yet to win one... i lose to myself, >HA goodluck.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
zjw

I read somewhere they where trying to come up with a pill that would sober you right back up. I thought alas that's the magical answer for me. I could drink like a fish then when I'm done pop that pill and be fresh again to go about my way. But then I thought further about how that would tick me off and I'd probably promptly start drinking like a fish again. ::facepalm::
Old 01-23-2015, 06:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
I read somewhere they where trying to come up with a pill that would sober you right back up. I thought alas that's the magical answer for me.
If there were a pill that would let me drink "normal", the first think my alcoholic brain would want to do would be to see just how "normal" I could get.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

...Sometimes lately I try to think of a way to make drinking work for me again, I wish I didn't but I do. But I just can't come up with one. I can't even moderate my imagination!
That's good. An important part of my recovery is the fact drinking just won't work for me. Much simpler not to pick up that first drink.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I can't even moderate my imagination!
LOL, Courage... that definitely rings true for me as well At least my imagination does not release chemical poison into my body.

Great post.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

...I can't even moderate my imagination!
That's funny!
Old 01-23-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah I often think about moderating a case but, I guess that's not really moderation.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Nice thread C2 -

I heard recently a speaker state - alcohol wasn't the problem, it was the solution. Of course this is certainly been repeated by many others , but it struck a chord for me that night.

I have to find other solutions......

Can't moderate my imagination! - love it, so on point. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty comes to mind
Old 01-23-2015, 08:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

courage,
i can't moderate my imagination either. or moderate IN my imaginatiopn.
it's what has made the difference. knowing the obvious. even in imagination.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Can't tell you how many times I've gone a few days totally straight, then had a couple of days with one or two drinks and convince myself hey I can moderate this. I feel great. We all know the next step then; binging and being back to square 1 and feeling awful. I've found this to be one of the hardest things to accept that I simply can't moderate any of it. Good post.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think it's part of the addiction - I tried beer, I tried wine, I tried spirits...Eventually trhey all ended up the same way...Me very much not in control.

It took me many years and many ridiculous and/or dangerous situations, but I eventually accepted that alcohol and I were a toxic mix.

I'm glad to hear you can't mioderate your imagination Courage

D
This
Old 01-23-2015, 01:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

when i took antabuse i woud drink still
Old 01-23-2015, 02:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

You are doing great Courage! I had those thoughts pop up too especially as I approached my year. I made it by doing exactly what you are, posting about it. I have no desire to moderate anyway. That's why I had to quit. Once I get going the desire is insatiable.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:01 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The day I stopped trying to moderate and accepted I had to part ways with alcohol on a permanent basis . . .

. . . life took a turn for the better!!