Notices

Bird's Chirping

Old 01-22-2015, 08:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bird's Chirping

Do you remember listening to the sounds of birds chirping in the morning after a long night of ''partying'' without any sleep?

Hearing them in the morning always hit me like a bombshell. The overwhelming feeling of being completely out of control?

This morning when I woke up listening to the bird's singing along I wasn't filled with complete remorse, but with a sense of calmness.

It was nice to know that 100%, without a doubt, I will remain sober today

Thought I'd share.

Have a good one.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
zjw

I love sleeping with the windows open and waking up listening to them. there friggen chatter boxes. every night before bed they get noisy then every morning they are noisy but its a nice peaceful way to wake up.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i remember cursing them! -here's your sign. Ha!
Old 01-22-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Reminds me of this morning I was driving into the rising sun and I thought how glorious of a morning it was. Days I was hungover I'd be like ugh, put down the sun visor and feel miserable until I could get back into my dark house.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Muunray View Post
feel miserable until I could get back into my dark house.
I remember these days. Beautiful sunny summer day and I was inside the shade drawn trying to keep as much light out as possible. I was miserable all day and could not wait for it to get dark. Darkness brought comfort.

Now I love the sunshine! I love the warmth on a summer day. I love the birds and the leaves rustling. Makes me feel alive.

I was not alive when I drank, I was the walking dead!
Old 01-22-2015, 09:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So so true! I used to go into a complete time warp. I would think Whaaaaat? Where did the last 8 hours go? Followed by a deep fear and uncertainty about how I was going to manage the days events
Old 01-22-2015, 09:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Yes, I remember riding the metro or bus home in the morning after all night rave parties next to the people going to work looking at me like the freak I was. With that depressed empty feeling inside as I went to bed for the day. Don't miss that at all.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Totally forgot about the bird-issue but so true you are! Hearing the birds in the morning was the first sign for me when I was on a cocaine/alcohol binge that I had been up to long.....one again. I HATED that feeling! I LOVE hearing the birds now (except for a few crows who have taken up residence but we're working on getting along) and the sun streaming in the windows makes me smile. Great reminder post!
Old 01-22-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Serene & quite tranquil isnt it

Awesome post MaxxPower
Old 01-22-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Waking up sober is so wonderful in so many ways - I don't think I will ever 'outgrow' the feeling.

Great post, great responses.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great post MaxxPower!!

The birds are definitely better hangover free in the morning than before going to bed!!
Old 01-22-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh yeah... I often felt that sounds and light could kill me in those hangover states. Extremely unpleasant. I think this is because our nervous system is especially sensitive to sensory stimuli in withdrawal state. I'm sensitive enough by default, without any chemical interference, have always been. Don't miss the sick, amplified version at all! And yes now I am able to enjoy mild environmental noise and the sunlight
Old 01-22-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I remember the birds and the state I was in when I they would start to chirp and I was still "partying"....ughh. I am just slowly starting to appreciate the days again but sometimes this early in recovery I am just waiting for the day to end when all the pressure I feel is off.

But lately I awaken with an excitement to work out on the treadmill! I have never felt excited to workout before, ever. Didn't even know I was capable of that! I will take it any day over a soul crushing hangover.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
Oh yeah... I often felt that sounds and light could kill me in those hangover states. Extremely unpleasant. I think this is because our nervous system is especially sensitive to sensory stimuli in withdrawal state.
That completely explains why I tend to feel much better after dark! This long drawn out w/d has me feeling exactly how you described during the day. It is lessening now but that is EXACTLY how I feel.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

That actually was one of my worst of moments. Realizing you have been up all night drinking and don't feel like sleeping. UGGHHH that was horrible.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Into the Void

And in my experience when I was up until the next day there was usually a large amount of cocaine involved and the hangover could literally last up to three days. Totally on edge at work the next week. Frightening!