Notices

The Thing About Snow...

Old 11-25-2014, 12:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Thing About Snow...

I live in the northeast USA, they are calling for a major snow storm tomorrow. Since I was a child the snow always lifted my moods, kind of like it has antidepressant qualities. Has anyone else ever noticed this?
Old 11-25-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've always loved seeing it around here We typically have five snow days or less per year. There is a lightness to it, yes. Also, I've found it calming, quieting, peaceful.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Snow is meditative.

AND, yay! No school/work :-P
Old 11-25-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am looking forward to the snow, it is exciting and beautiful. And I always feel safe with my dogs in my little house
Old 11-25-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
zjw

yep backtosquareone I'm west of you in the coal region I cant wait. snow is therapeutic. if things are just right i'll go running in a light snow storm and you can hear the snow flakes in the leaves on the ground etc.. when its nice and quiet its great.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
zjw

OH but my only worry is I do have to drive in it tomorrow about an hour. I'm not looking forward to that part it'll be an adventure.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

I love the snow

it causes havok for many but to look out your window and see everything white is quite something
Old 11-25-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I love it!!! Except the shoveling part.

I went outside and battened down the hatches - put stuff away. Emptied, cleaned and refilled hot tub - did it all in an orderly progression too. I was thinking of years past it would take a couple days to do it and I would forget to put in the right chemicals...
I actually "fell asleep" one time and overflowed it. NOT ANY MORE!

Love soaking in the tub when it's snowing! Actually dove from the hot tub into the snow and made a nekkid snow angel.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post

Love soaking in the tub when it's snowing! Actually dove from the hot tub into the snow and made a nekkid snow angel.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I went to grad school in NYC and I lived in NJ for 2 years. I HATE SNOW. I'm glad you guys love it. The thing I did like from the NE was leaves falling from the trees. But then it got colder and colder. In Florida we get cold days, but then next day, you are back to normal. I hated gloves, hats, coats, shovels. I hated it all. YET, guess where I"m going for Christmas this year? NYC. husband booked a hotel for 22to the 26th. so now I have to shop for coats, long pants, blah blah blah...its more work than I wanted..but he's so excited, wants to show me his NYC. I'm pretty sure I"ll be forced into skating. but I do like the decor.... but its so darn crowded.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I love snow!!

LBrain said Nekkid...l.llbaaaaahaaaaaaaaaa
Old 11-25-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The best thing about snow is skiing.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

lol, you are all crazy! Other than it being pretty, I hate everything about snow! I am glad you guys like it tho I definitely wish I did. I don't know what I am still doing in MI....
Old 11-25-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi BTSO. We're getting what you're getting, but probably more of it (Catskills).
Yes, I feel the same - love it even more now that I don't have to drive in it.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If you think about it the songs about rain bum you out, "Here comes that rainy day feelink again". Snow on the other hand : Frank Sinatra Let it snow - YouTube
Old 11-25-2014, 08:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

There is a special kind of quiet that can only be experienced in a snowstorm at night
Old 11-25-2014, 09:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I moved from the grey and rainy Canadian westcoast (think Seattle my American friends) to the frozen North. And I gotta say...the sun on the snow does my heart good. Tonight it was falling softly as I drove home...all the christmas lights twinkling in the trees under the moonlight.

Yup. Not complaining.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I find snow to be beautiful and it always takes me back to a child-like trance of wonderment. That said, there are so many bleak gray cold windy snowless days in between during winter, sometimes it's hard to find it worth it :p
Old 11-26-2014, 04:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I like it too here. But they dump salt all over the road at just a hint of snow and make it a wet mushy salt bath for our cars and mine is only a year old... I hate that.

Aside from that I used to love to drink during snow storms and maybe visit the neighbors too and drink. Something about big snow storms they bring people outside and often people say hi to one another.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I live in East Texas and we rarely get snow, which is fine by me. Not a cold weather fan, but one of my best childhood memories in the frozen north(Washington State) was walking to the store on a full moon night on fresh fallen snow, listening to the squeak of my shoes and looking into the blue world. It was just beautiful. Full moon on fresh fallen snow, just beautiful.