Notices

Finally Went To The Doctors

Old 11-21-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally Went To The Doctors

Today I woke up and had enough of being a drunk. I had a scheduled routine physical and intended on talking to the Dr. about my problem. For the first half of the appointment I chickened out and decided I wasn't going to say anything. I finally built up the courage and told the first person other than my wife about my alcohol abuse problem. It was tough taking that step but I felt much better after. He prescribed disulfiram to take daily which will apparently make me really sick if I drink and chlordiazepoxide for any withdrawel symptoms. I took the disulfiram after I left and really have the urge to drink right now but I don't want to be really sick so I'm forced not to drink. Today is day one again but I have a crutch now that will hopefully get me through the first few days/weeks. Wish me luck!
Old 11-21-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the SR forums That was a very brave thing you did.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

From experience, I am of the belief everyone who quits drinking should see a doctor. I am so glad you were honest with him. Congrats & good job
Old 11-21-2014, 03:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Ryan - sounds like a good move

D
Old 11-21-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
zjw

thats pretty brave. kudos to you I always lied. I dont think they ever believed me either *Sigh*.

good job I hope it helps.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Ryan welcome bk
Old 11-21-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Awesome Ryan! Man, I went to the doctor today too! He prescribed some Valium for the withdrawals that I am somewhat experiencing.
This is going to take time, but we're going to feel so much better!
Old 11-21-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

courage! awesome.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great first step

Good job being up front with you Dr. Ryan. You won't regret it. I am also in the midst of some serious withdrawal. My Dr. prescribed Librium and they really help. Remember to take them as directed. You will feel better after a couple days. I know, unfortunately I am an expert with this. After you feel better start a recovery program so you don't have to do this again! Stay safe and sober..
Old 11-23-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It is hard to admit it isn't it. Good for you, most people don't know the extent of my problem because I drink alone at home, and still make it to school and work ( barely) but I know how bad it's gotten.
I'm sure many suspect, but only one person confronted me about it
Old 11-24-2014, 04:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support. Today is my fourth day being sober since my post on Friday. I have been taking the Disulfirm every morning and thank God because I want to drink really bad at night and is the only thing keeping me from drinking. It is surreal to wake up not hungover for once. I have been feeling pretty good during the day. I feel mostly exhausted and very low on energy. Between 4-9 when I am usually drunk I feel very agitated and I feel a bit nauseous and have headaches and very very thirsty. During the night I have had night sweats to the point where my shirt is soaked. I haven't taken any of the Librium at this point. I'm not sure how long these symptoms last or if they will get worse. Hopefully they won't.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good luck wished for you
mm
Old 11-24-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ryan,
Sorry you are having a tough time. If you don't feel better soon, give the prescribed Librium a try. Librium is used to minimize the withdrawal symptoms. Use only how your Dr prescribed. Usually they are used just for a couple days and then a short taper after that. It sure beats sweating and shaking all night...just my 2c worth.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Luckily, the withdrawal does go away with time. I want to say it was a week or two after quitting that I started to sleep better and not wake up sweaty and gross. I still struggle with fatigue, but I will take that over sweating, shaking, and nausea. Eat healthy. Lots of bananas, water, healthy foods. You can take a daily vitamin to help supplement what nutrients your body has been deprived of because of your drinking. Anytime you get a craving to drink, make yourself something healthy and good tasting to and drink a big cup of water. By the time you are finished and full, the craving should be gone. Good luck.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ryan11 View Post
Between 4-9 when I am usually drunk I feel very agitated and I feel a bit nauseous and have headaches and very very thirsty. During the night I have had night sweats to the point where my shirt is soaked. I haven't taken any of the Librium at this point.
Your choice of course, but the librium was prescribed to help with those symptoms. If you find yourself on the edge of making a bad choice, please take what the doctor ordered for you.

You can give the doctor a call and ask how to take a smaller dose of the librium than maybe he scripted you. Or even a pharmicist could give you tips on this.

You sound like you're doing really great. Good for you
Old 11-24-2014, 03:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Great first step! This will get the sober ball rolling. I too was given Librium to help with those symptoms. To be honest I took it only because I knew that i wouldnt drink while on it because mixing the two is a big no no. When i finally got past the withdrawl stage i dumped the rest of them and moved on with a long term sobriety plan. Without that prescription i would prob still be drinking.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I really do notice how my craving is at its peak when I am hungry at dinner time. After I eat, the craving subsides a bit and I calm down. I took one 25mg Librium last night but it didn't really seem to help all that much. Doctor said start with one and if it didn't do anything take another but not more than two. So I'll try a couple tonight. Still had night sweats last night and felt really agitated and thirsty. Headache wasn't as bad though. Day 5 today and can't wait to hit the one week mark (Happy Thanksgiving to me!). If I get through today it will be the longest sober streak I have had in 7 years. I really appreciate all the support.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Recovery is about honestly and you have taken a major step forward
Old 11-25-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ryan11 View Post
Thanks guys. I really do notice how my craving is at its peak when I am hungry at dinner time. After I eat, the craving subsides a bit and I calm down. I took one 25mg Librium last night but it didn't really seem to help all that much. Doctor said start with one and if it didn't do anything take another but not more than two. So I'll try a couple tonight. Still had night sweats last night and felt really agitated and thirsty. Headache wasn't as bad though. Day 5 today and can't wait to hit the one week mark (Happy Thanksgiving to me!). If I get through today it will be the longest sober streak I have had in 7 years. I really appreciate all the support.

Thats how I used to be as well - i wouldnt eat knowing i was going to drink so didnt want to slow the drunk process with all the food in the belly. If i ate a big meal i most likely wouldnt be drinking. When i was in my early days of sobriety feeling like crap, I would take the librium order some chinese soup and watch movies in my bed. Just relax and take it easy. Make time for your self and try to get started with speeding up the recovery by making a healthy fruit veggie shake in the mornings along with a quality multi vitamin. Incorporate some endurance exercise if you have the time. It doesnt have to be anything crazy, just a 30 min walk or something similar. It will elevate your mood and increase circulation bringing vital nutrients to your liver and organs, speeding toxin removal. Keep at it your doing great!
Old 11-25-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good for you!! I'm a firm believer in going to your doctor and being honest - they can't help you if they don't know the truth.

Just want to bring up something else - cravings seem worse when we deal with HALT - hungry, angry, lonely and tired. You mentioned the cravings were worse when you were hungry?

Just the knowledge of HALT helped me tremendously. When I thought I really wanted to use, I learned that often I was just one of the HALT things. I had no idea that I'd forgotten how to recognize "normal" human cravings.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy