Notices
View Poll Results: Can YOU successfully drink in moderation?
Yes
9.28%
No
90.72%
Voters: 474. You may not vote on this poll

Can YOU successfully drink in moderation?

Old 10-20-2014, 01:43 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

I can't do it and I tried a lot
Old 10-20-2014, 04:10 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  
Matt M

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
This. Yep. When I would go out for happy hour I would have two or three beers with my friends. Then I would go home and drink 10 to 12 more. It really is true about the first one starting the craving.

I think I could probably drink beer/cider in moderation to a certain extent, but then I also know from experience that after a while the buzz I get from that won't be enough and i'll move on to spirits.

Spirits is what's almost killed me and thankfully I finally realised that aiming to just drink beer/cider isn't going to work as without doubt it would lead me down that path again.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:15 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

For anyone living the sober lifestyle it's a great question to ask yourself every so often. Keeps me in check. So many times I've fooled myself in thinking I could after long bouts of sobriety. But it's always a lie. I didn't look at the question in terms of a poll. Who cares really.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

My conclusion, for what it's worth, is it IS possible for a VERY small percentage of us. But the price of failure is devastating; including your torture, death, ands those of others. Is it worth it?
Old 10-20-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Sobriety has been one of the best things in my life, and one of the most difficult to achieve. I'm not willing to risk all the beautiful things I've gained in sobriety for moderation.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by dsober
This is a controversial question and I think it might be useful to get some actual data as there's already been much speculation.
Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Do you honestly think you are going to get a single honest yes answer Dsober? Not sure what your motivation is for this one but seems like a waste of time to me.
Originally Posted by dsober
My conclusion, for what it's worth, is it IS possible for a VERY small percentage of us.
This poll only indicates something that folks say about their moderation ability, truthfully or not, and it is limited to folks who read the thread, who replied to it, who post on the subforum, who are SR members, and on and on.

Your conclusion is not backed up by this poll, or by any poll, nor could it be.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
This poll only indicates something that folks say about their moderation ability, truthfully or not, and it is limited to folks who read the thread, who replied to it, who post on the subforum, who are SR members, and on and on.

Your conclusion is not backed up by this poll, or by any poll, nor could it be.
Agreed....

There's another monkey wrench in the gears with regard to each individual's definition of "alcoholic." Anyone can say/claim they're alcoholic, and I'm ok with that even though some ppl use a much more inclusive definition than I use myself.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

No, not only do I not posses the ability, thankfully, I lack the desire.

By finally adding some measures of emotional, mental and spiritual sobriety to just physically not drinking, it has become the gift that just keeps on giving.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

For a few days in a row, yes, I can. I typically, however then binge, and often drink for over a year every day...
Old 10-20-2014, 09:01 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
I literally can not even have vanilla extract in a cocoa spinach smoothie without it triggering me. Absolutely not.
I can't get past cocoa spinach smoothie.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:39 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Trying to moderate is torture to me. I've tried at bars and parties. I'd have a couple then catch myself staring at other peoples beer. Somebody would set their half full beer down and leave. i'd think how the hell did he do that? I voted no.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:31 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

No, I can't.

Tried so many times, but it always went back to the red zone. Even after not drinking for almost three years I went back to immoderate consumption in a matter of a week I knew then that moderation is a total fantasy.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:33 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

I wish I could but I cannot. I will always find my way back to abusing it
Old 10-21-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  
Grateful

Can YOU successfully drink in moderation?
Yes I can drink in moderation -- no I can not do it successfully. It only took me 23 years after getting sober for the first time to figure that one out. 6 years sober and back out I went. 7 years sober and back out I went again. I'm shooting for 50 years this time. If I make it that long I'll be 102 and may have to rethink this whole sobriety thing.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

No I can't and I'm done trying.

FWIW, it is my opinion that there is no such thing as moderate drinking. There are normal drinkers and abnormal drinkers.

Normal drinkers don't call it moderation, they call it having some drinks.

Someone who is moderating is an abnormal drinker who's struggling.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Maybe I could for a short time... Then thing's would get out of hand eventually... Always the same cycle... Not going back to that... Ever
Old 10-24-2014, 10:48 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

I never, ever wanted to drink in moderation.

But, after being sober a while and enjoying what sobriety has given me, I don't plan to try to find out whether I could drink in moderation now.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
I literally can not even have vanilla extract in a cocoa spinach smoothie without it triggering me. Absolutely not.
That sounds like a wonderful smoothie but I like vegetables. Do you ever make one with Kale and honey, instead?

I have drank vanilla extract, or possibly rum. It was in home made eggnog I had about a year ago in November/December. My former roommate made it, and I didn't know he put either the extract, or possibly rum into the drink. He did buy rum that afternoon, and I know he put it into his eggnog but I don't know if he really put it into mine, or not?

I could taste it, and I just felt sleepy, and did not have any sort of cravings or drink more alcohol. When I was sick in late December I did not even take any cough syrup.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:10 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
Curious if you tried crack and enjoyed the sensation of a little crack every once in a while, moderated of course, would be fine?
I do have friends who told me how they had tried smoking crack once or twice, and how they did not get high, or get much out of it. But the other person or people who they smoked it with did get very high from it, so it was not fake.

Other people I know who have smoked it, said how they would go on a small binge of it in a night, and then once the rock was not around, they did not crave it or want to use it.

Personally, I would never get into that situation, or put myself in it.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:46 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  
mpr

Yes, well I am so far. I was sober 7+ years up until very recently.