Notices

Chicagoland Meetings

Old 08-16-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Chicagoland Meetings

Has anybody gone to any Chicagoland meetings? AA or otherwise? I'm trying to find a relatively secular one to attend.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Some people will disagree with me, but ALL meetings of AA are "relatively secular". Meetings are nothing like church. I've never been to a meeting where there is a bible present. No one has ever asked me about my religion or invited me to church or tried to convert me. If you hear the word "Jesus" it is more likely to be an expletive than it is to be in reference to a deity.

If you can get past the lords prayer at the end, and a few mentions of God (as we understand him) in the reading of the 12 steps, that is the closest you'll come to religion. In all seriousness it is just a few passing references to God in the meetings, and you do not have to participate. There are, of course, religious people in AA and they will share about God, but the volume of this is way overblown. I go to AA daily and usually hear about 10 references to God a week, in 5-7 meeting.

If you can find an 4A meeting - Atheists and Agnostics in AA - you'll have even less references to religion. Chicago is a pretty big place so I'm guessing they exist. Just google for it and you'll find it. If you can't find it, ask other people at an AA meeting, they will probably know where to point you.

Whether or not you can stomach a meeting or whether or not AA is for you can only be answered by you giving it a try.

Good luck.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Would make Taking5 right on this one. Most meetings I go, you'd barely hear the word god, aside from the readings......have even heard people apologise for mentioning god, so looks like live & let live has fallen through. I'm from the UK though.., but Taking5 isn't so based on that international sample of 2 ;-) looks likely you'll be safe from religious conversion

Wish you well
Old 08-16-2014, 10:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GreenColor View Post
Has anybody gone to any Chicagoland meetings? AA or otherwise? I'm trying to find a relatively secular one to attend.
I live in Chicago. There are quad AA meetings (AA for atheists or agnostics) and I have been to one of those meetings before in the past. I know of two meeting spots in the city that are like this but I'm sure there are others. PM me if you want more details.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
July 4, 2014

I'm relocating to Chicago for grad school... any info on meetings/groups etc. would be most welcomed!
Thanks!