High blood pressure after a binge?

Old 03-05-2011, 04:47 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

a
Old 03-05-2011, 04:50 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by currygod View Post
Hi

I just wanted to add, like some others have said, my blood pressure was higher when i was drinking. Like, 130-140/80 I know this is not ridiculously high but since quitting it has gone to under 120/80 (but it fluctuates alot throughout the day?! like some times it will be 100/60 then itll be like 120'70 or something, its weird). Also, my pulse was fairly rapid when I was drinking such ridiculous amounts of alcohol, 90bpm just sitting here etc, it is now around 60-70 but sometimes this also fluctuates, my body is weird. but anyway when I was withdrawing from alcohol it initially went up to 180/105 which i found scary but librium took care of that.
'
Old 03-05-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

mine leveled off after a while
Old 03-05-2011, 06:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thahdog View Post
In the past, after a drinking binge, I usually had a spike in my blood pressure about 4-5 days after, then it returns to normal. This latest time, it was really high they day after, and now it's leveled off a bit, but it's still above normal. It's not dangerously high--if it gets there, I'll go to the doctor's office--but it's not at normal levels either.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Do you think it's withdrawal symptoms? If so, how long can I expect it to last? It's been about 4 days now.

Silver lining - I am not more determined to quit than ever. I'm tired of having episodes like this.

I hope this is in the right forum.

Thanks in advance for your answers.
My mom has always had high blood pressure. She stopped for a day after drinking vodka heavily for years and her blood pressure skyrocketed causing a blood vessel to burst in her brain. Yeah it can cause it and it can kill you if it gets bad enough. My mom lived but spent 3 weeks in the hospital where they discovered brain damage due to alcohol which has currently led to dementia at age 56. She still continues to drink for several days at a time. she wound up back in the hospital a couple of months ago with her blood pressure at stroke level after a binge. I'd just quit now if I were you.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:58 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

blood changes?

From what I heard about the body dehydrating the body will dip into the blood supply for water which in turn will higher concentrations things like salt in the blood which in turn might raise the bp. Alcohol acting like a dieuretic might do this.

Isn't a dehydration symptom heart palpitations?-could this and siezure be
caused by the lack of electrolytes from all the drinking and dehydration.

Could this also be a case of self medicating if the alkie is trying to temper the discomfort and/or edgyness of high bp?
Old 03-06-2011, 12:26 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thequest View Post
From what I heard about the body dehydrating the body will dip into the blood supply for water which in turn will higher concentrations things like salt in the blood which in turn might raise the bp. Alcohol acting like a dieuretic might do this.

Isn't a dehydration symptom heart palpitations?-could this and siezure be
caused by the lack of electrolytes from all the drinking and dehydration.

Could this also be a case of self medicating if the alkie is trying to temper the discomfort and/or edgyness of high bp?
I am not a doctor, but I know benzo withdrawal can cause seizures too. Benzosand alcohol affect the same part of the brain. I believe the seizure part of thngs has to do with the area of the brain affected. It becomes dependent on the alcohol.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:19 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hello,
I realize this thread is slightly old, but it's right up my alley of concern.
Perhaps I could get more feedback from the forum on this subject.
I have stopped drinking and I am on Day 6.

I've been primarily a beer drinker for a couple decades. Consumption, on average, was 2-6 each weekday, weekend days would spike to a 12 pack daily. More sometimes.

I'm getting older (50's) and have noticed my blood pressure getting higher. I have a home monitor that indicates high readings, but all over the place. I get readings 140-160 systolic and 80-100 diastolic. It's seems accurate on my wife. A doctor visit on day 2 indicated a reading of 148/90.

Some thread reading here shows BP elevation after cessation of alcohol that return to lower levels after time. I am interested in this time period and its length.

I kinda miss my beer, but I have no craving because I have DECIDED I'm done.

I have had no withdrawal symptoms sans a little anxiety still present. Nothing compared to what some others have experienced here.

My goal is 139/89 or lower.

I would really appreciate any input. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:12 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
~sb

Question
Alcohol: Does it affect blood pressure?
Does drinking alcohol affect your blood pressure?
Answer
from Sheldon G. Sheps, M.D.

Drinking too much alcohol can raise blood pressure to unhealthy levels. Having more than three drinks in one sitting temporarily increases your blood pressure, but repeated binge drinking can lead to long-term increases.

Heavy drinkers who cut back to moderate drinking can lower their systolic blood pressure (the top number in a blood pressure reading) by 2 to 4 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg) and their diastolic blood pressure (the bottom number in a blood pressure reading) by 1 to 2 mm Hg.

If you have high blood pressure, avoid alcohol or drink alcohol only in moderation. Moderate drinking is generally considered to be:

Two drinks a day for men younger than age 65
One drink a day for men age 65 and older
One drink a day for women of any age

A drink is 12 ounces (355 milliliters) of beer, 5 ounces (148 milliliters) of wine or 1.5 ounces (44 milliliters) of 80-proof distilled spirits.

From: Alcohol: Does it affect blood pressure? - MayoClinic.com Mayo Clinic

From a search on "alcohol and blood pressure" https://www.google.com/search?q=alco...ient=firefox-a

Call your doctor and ask directly!!
Old 02-13-2012, 10:34 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks for your reply sugar.

Have seen that on line already, have seen many sites.

Not to take anything away from some of these medical sites, they are wonderful, but there are little shined and polished for the world.

I was more interested in real world experiences here.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:04 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I think sometimes the high blood pressure stays high. My BP is high so I take medication. With medication it's 116 over 70. Would I have high blood pressure if I never drank? I don't have a clue, but I do know that drinking didn't help any.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:36 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

If you have high BP, alcohol is bad news (drinking puts a good 20 points at least on to my BP). It is also a nightmare if you are trying to lose weight (I rapidly put on 10 pounds within 2-3 weeks when I got back in to binge drinking after months of being near abstinent). Also, if you are trying to quit smoking...forget it. Also if you are trying to stay on a decent sleep schedule or save money...pretty bad. Alcohol pretty much chips away at everything in life...and I was just a weekend binge drinker.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:53 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

The alcohol also raises triglycerides and cholesterol.

Before I quit in 2010, I had a checkup and had developed diabetes, was borderline hypertension, sky high triglycerides and liver damage.

Some months in to quitting and serious dietary changes, I dropped 60 pounds, got the bloodwork normal for triglycerides and blood sugar. BP is perfect.

If you are running consistent high BP, you should be monitored by a doc and have a good physical. It can be so many things playing onto it.

I have relapsed, but thankfully, not ruined that progess I made with my health too badly. Just gained a few pounds so far.

It is pretty amazing how the body can regain health if you stop in time.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:57 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I don't smoke and I'm not overweight, can't improve there.
That leaves exercise, diet, and alcohol.

I'm increasing cardio with a stationary bike.
Never add salt, but watching more labels for content and eating much more produce now.
Alcohol eliminated.

I'm changing what I can control, hopefully time will heal my BP. It does seem to be trending down some. Time will tell.

It's important because my job depends on it.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:12 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Those all sound like positive changes for anyone. But if you have concerns, it is good to get a physical.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:05 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Interesting thread ... and a lot of the symptoms of high BP are shared by myself.

Currently I classify myself as a social drinker ... prone to binges. I only drink at weekends, mainly beer/wine, and whilst on holiday which can be a 14day stretch. I am 56 year of age and apart from a 6 month break, I have consumed since age 17.

Like others I monitor my BP and like others have noticed a spike after drinking up to maybe 150, so borderline high BP. It's not the readings that concern me but the pressure I feel on my temples and a kind of tingling sensation around my head.

I have always known that I have an issue with binging, having worked in an industry that was famous for it and had a group of golf 'buddies' that shared my enthusiasm. Plus, my wife is Polish, and we visit the country several times a year ... there it's almost a badge of honour to down a few Vodkas and I feel almost under pressure to join in, though they don't really have to twist my arm too hard.

Whilst I no longer feel addicted to the booze, moderation is proving to be a lot more difficult than I thought, maybe too difficult.