Notices

what other people think of me is none of my business

Old 03-23-2017, 11:53 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Centered3 View Post
Tommyh that's a great story.

When I had to buy a bottle of wine to bring to the book club, I had a similar experience. Although I was perfectly fine being in a liquor store and the bottles meant nothing to me, I did have a fleeting thought "What if someone from AA sees me in a liquor store?"
having my mother live with me and me being her caregiver for 11 years, there came a time when i had to take the car keys away from her. sometimes id do the grocery shopping without her.
and she liked a glass of wine after dinner- that fancy schmancy Mogen david grape juice wine stiff.
anyways, livin in small town northern Mi, i would run into people from AA and in the grocery store it sure seemed it only happened when i had a bottle of wine in my cart. some of the folks knew the situation i was in. some didn't. some gossiped.
and i was glad to be greatful they were jabberin their jaws about me rather than someone that didn't know how to handle it.

there is a point,though, where "what other people think about me is none of my business' has a line.
some people, like my sponsor, family, or close friends, say something to me about my actions or words- they notice something in me i don't- i should prolly listen and think about it.

but all the gossip- heck, bring it to me. then ill add something to it and send it back out!
Old 03-23-2017, 12:59 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I have never heard the expression which is the title of this thread, but I sure can't dispute it.

What I have always told myself and others is that most other people don't think of me, period, but instead think of themselves.

To accurately express what I think of most other peoples' thoughts about me may sound a little less than spiritual, so I will just say that I answer to God.

I try to learn and do God's will.

If I fall short, I make an amends.

It's all that simple.

Not necessarily easy, but fairly straight-forward.

I would have also been shocked by a job interview question about what my colleagues think of me.

I have only been to 2 job interviews in the last 30 years, with the most recent being 5 years ago, but prospective clients interview me to discern whether they want to hire me to do their work.

My attitude is to be honest, not try to sell myself (I couldn't give something away, let alone be much of a salesman) and wait for whatever happens.

Not all possible business relationships are meant to be, and I don't try to chase or force things.

If they're meant to be, they usually happen.

If they're not a good fit, I would prefer that they don't happen at all.

Very good topic and thread.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:52 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Was it Robbie Burns?

" oh what a gift to give us, to see our selves as others see us"