Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism-12 Step Support
Reload this Page >

Should I go ahead and work the steps myself until I get a sponsor?

Notices

Old 07-22-2016, 04:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I have a question and thought I'd post it here and get some guidance. I have had a hard time finding a sponsor. I will put more effort into it this weekend, but they are hard to come by in my town and I want to move forward on the steps.
Is there anything wrong with just going ahead with them on my own?
Old 07-22-2016, 05:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Nothing wrong with that, though a sponsor can offer much useful advice. You will need a person to help you with step five. Priests are good value for that.

The founder of AA in NZ was two years on his own, big book and steps, before he found another alcoholic to work with and was able to form the first group. It can be done.

Some may counsel delay. My question for them is how long do you have to treat your alcoholism before the obsession will return? I don't know and neither do they. The safest course is to get on with it.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I started them on my own and am still sober. however, I studied the bb a LOT on step 3 and asked a LOT of questions of others.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I say yes, go ahead - but focus on 1-3. I am 151 days today and just actively on 3 with one of my two sponsors; we are doing a workbook called A Woman's Way through the 12 Steps, which has exercises and discussion points that are great for actively working each. She also gave me a companion journal called Breathing Under Water by Richard Rohr - excellent book. You can also add non-BB material to your work - RR devotionals and a daily devotional called Keep It Simple: Daily Meditations for 12 Step Beginning and Renewal are two things on my daily routine. I also read p 85-88 and the St Francis prayer (from step 11) every day. That really reinforces the spiritual part of this process.

With my other sponsor, we are reading through the BB from the beginning. We are now discussing my step 4; as we have read, she has pointed out where each of the 12 arises from the inception of AA and we discuss. The steps also actively come up every time I talk to each sponsor. Since we are at a little different spots, so to speak, in each relationship, I am now looking at which to keep as my only sponsor, perhaps.

And, really, it all goes back to Step One - everything is related to it.

If you don't have a sponsor- I did not get my original one til 97 days since I didn't feel the urge or connection to ask anyone til then - then meetings and studying the BB -and asking a LOT of questions as was suggested here- could be your initial work.

Whatever you do, keep going, reading and trying!!
Old 07-22-2016, 07:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post!! I agree with the others, go for it!! Kudos to you!! Keep an open mind and take it one day at a time!!! Best wishes to you!!!
Old 07-22-2016, 03:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Some VERY good advice so far Karen. I would start ASAP. Do your best on steps 1-3 by yourself (if you need to) but I suggest you work with someone for the subsequent steps.

I did the first step before I attended my first meeting.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Karen do not see any reason not to go ahead on your own , simplicity is key there are no hidden meanings , they are written in simple language so apply what the Step lays out . An alternative (which I am not fond) is the 12x12 with long winded explanations which can ''complicate '' . Step 5 needs another human being .

Regards Stevie recovered 12 03 2006
Old 07-23-2016, 06:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Redmayne

To be honest...

To be honest the best sponsors I had and still do, as the guy who handed them to me himself said when he handed me a copy of one of 'Charlie & Joe's: Big Book Study Meetings' now commercially available together with a written transcript in book form.

The late Charlie Parmley and Joe McQuany have helped many people all over the world...
Old 07-23-2016, 06:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The Joe and Charlie speaker tapes really helped me as well. Their step study tapes are available to listen to for free on the web.

Google Dallas B fourth step and he has some really good material for that which follows the BB.

My problem was I was stuck in over complication and wasn't progressing. My sponsor helped me simple down and get moving.

Best wishes to you. Knowing what I know now I wouldn't hesitate to do them again.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for your responses. Very helpful! I'm going to listen to the online JOe and Charley guides and am going to order the Richard Rohr book, too.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am loving the Joe and Charlie talks. One of the things they emphasize is the importance of the steps. They say, "the fellowship won't keep you sober". I know that's true from experience, but I never thought of it that way.
I've been at this a long time, and I feel like it's the not working the steps that has been my downfall!
I've been worried and sad that the fellowship in my area seems difficult to become a part of. I have a lot of social anxiety. But I'm thinking I can just not worry about it anymore...Just focus on working the steps.
Joe and Charley say the fellowship is important, but the steps are what is vital.
If I am putting my life in God's hands completely, and doing what I can to work the steps to the best of my ability, then I must have faith that He will give me what is necessary to stay sober.
Am I right in my thinking on this?
Old 07-23-2016, 01:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Correct . no human power can relieve our alcoholism , but God could and would if he were sought , may you find him now .

Regards Stevie recovered 12 03 2006 .
Old 07-25-2016, 04:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Honouring your soul...

In my efforts to make spiritual progress I , after a number of years sobriety developed an interest in Stoic philosophy which I was attracted to because in any ways it reflects the words of 'The Serenity Prayer' ... which is actually referred to in two of the now growing collection of books I have on the subject.

One of the most striking things about it is the idea of 'honouring your soul', Epictetus, a former lame slave who, along with Marcus Aurelius and Seneca one of the three most noted Stoic philosophers even in the present day. Refers to the fact that,'we're all just little souls dragging a corpse around,'... which to me in handing my life and will over to the God of my understanding means I am returning to God, what He, She or It already gave me and in doing so am honouring my soul. Something I was meant to do all along, before my drinking which is just a symptom of my alcoholism, got in the way...

Do this and you will never do anything better in your life, guaranteed!
Old 07-25-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Yes - go ahead and work 1-3 by yourself if you need to. It took me a while to find a sponsor, too. And really, I haven't done that much with her because I did 1-5 in outpatient treatment.

I second the recommendation of "A Woman's Way Through the 12 Steps." My AA club has a women's meeting and that's the book we are going through right now. I have the workbook also, and am working on that on my own. It really helps.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

We need to move to step 7 and not stop at 5. Just my experience after being in and out of AA for 25 years!
Old 07-25-2016, 04:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Oh definitely I'm moving beyond step 5. Working on step 8-9 right now. Amends are scary and hard, but so, so worth it.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Red face

I don't think there is but i'm a newbie.

I feel like some of the steps can be worked on even when you're not consciously aware of it. Correct me if I'm wrong!
Old 07-26-2016, 04:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I had a hard time with step one, but got some help on here and also listening to Joe and Charlie tapes. I got step one, finally. Steps two and three are really easy for me, because I have a strong belief in God and have always been a spiritual seeker.
So, now I'm ready for step four and need to get on it. Still no sponsor, but when the student is ready, the teacher appears, right? So one is right around the corner so long as I keep looking for her and going to meetings.
I'm going to go ahead and start my step four. Joe and Charlie are all about keeping it simple, I'm going to do it the way they suggest, straight from the Big Book. By the time I'm finished, I'll either have a sponsor or will have to go to a counselor.
I don't want to be moving too fast, but I feel from what I read in the big book and what I've heard on the AA speaker tapes I've listened to, that I should keep it up if I want to stay sober, and I do!
I'm going to listen to the Dallas B speaker about the fourth step and am still hoping to order the Breathing Underwater book.
Thanks to all of you for your help!
Old 07-26-2016, 04:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sounds like a great plan, Karen!
Old 07-26-2016, 06:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Redmayne

'What have we learned so far?

The following is from an essay in 'The Keillor Reader' an anthology of Garrison Keillor's forty years of storytelling as a writer, author and broadcaster ... which is the title of this response...

' There isn't a lot you can do but you ought to do that much and if find you do you'll likely find there is more you can do and try to do that too.When all is said and done, there is more to be done and that goes without saying.'

Works for me!